all enthusiasm gone

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lugnutt, Nov 8, 2014.

1. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

i regret to say i have been scammed out of my rv.were to start...afther agreeing a sale of rv and reiceveing a deposit last weekend ,he returned with a cheque for the balance and asked for a test drive he said he would like a macanic to check the engine ect and could he bring one over ok says i we then filled in the logbook his adress ect i told him when paymet had been cleared i will hand everything over. he turned up last night with said macanic asked me to start it up then complaned about the smoke from exhaust while the macanic sue and myself stood there looking at the smoke he drove off i asked the macanic were his car was and he said they were droped off i smelt a rat and phoned the police to repot it stolen whent back out to find no macanic. the police said i carnt report it stolen as he had paid deposit and given cheque but we all know it will bounce i googled the adress to find it is a park home site in coventry .i have to wait till wednesday to find out about the cheque meanwhilei carnt do anything, any fines parking or accidents ect will be down to me
    please do not tell me i should have done this that an the other to late for that now

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

So sorry to hear this. We all think we are smarter than the con artists,but they have had a lifetime of practice.

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

What a bummer............. dont know what to say really...:(

Let it be a lesson to others... Might be worth having a word with your insurance company...

Hope you get satisfaction in some way..

4. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

OMG Lugnutt ! That is frigging awful news mate, have you no way of making contact with either of them again ?

5. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Thats terrible

6. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

For the fears of being banned,I think it may have been one of the travelling fraternity,there is a large settling of them in the Midlands.
    Very sorry to hear the distressing story.

7. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Oh Dave... I'm so upset here... I want to hug you all.... Oh Dave... what a bustard... I don't know what to say. You are such a lovely family.

Dave, I have a small Autotrail which is my daughter's ... it is only two berth but with an awning or someone sleeping on the floor it will be able to sleep more .. you can use it for as long as you want.. Just top up the fully filled gas bottles for her when you hand it back over as she struggling financially and that is all it will cost you. The insurance should be minimal and it is spotless inside ... PLEASE think about taking me up on this. If I wasn't so broke financially I would help in other ways.

Big hugs to all of you and especially my lovely adopted friend, Sophie and Richie.. :(

• Like Like x 27
  8. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

9. movan

ps dON't blame yourself as being stupid ... I've done stupid things like that but fortunately all turned out well.... we are just too trusting. xx

10. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

God that makes my blood boil, I feel so bad for you. I really hope you get it resolved with the safe return of the RV or the money :swear2::swear2::swear2:

Just a thought, can they be traced through the bank details on the cheque?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

That is absolute rubbish!!! You have every right to report it stolen, because the 'buyer' did not return from the so called 'test drive' he took to check the smoke! Any copper worth his salt would know you were conned. :mad: Always get the number of the officer you are dealing with, you may need it. Ask for a crime number. The police are EMPOWERED to take your complaint, before they clear off down to the takeaway, or go shopping, etc. It is their prerogative to charge you with wasting police time if all proves to be OK, but reading your post, I doubt if it is OK.

• Like Like x 13
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't think the insurance will be interested I'm afraid , if you havnt got both keys , no chance but have you been over to the address , you never know it might be there, clutching at straws maybe but it's not far from you got to be worth a trip over

13. movan

Oh and Dave, if you are to go to a meet in my daughter's van, Sophie can sleep in my van at night so that will help with the cramped space.
    I have a dining unit which makes up into a spare bed.

• Like Like x 4
  14. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

the police also said if the cheque bounces it is still not a police matter but a civil court matter

15. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

16. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Oh Dave, what a bummer and yet another warning to us all, so sorry it's happened to you and your lovely family.

17. movan

... unless you're a policeman?

Sorry, before I get told off

• Like Like x 4
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

What a rotten thing to happen. Hope it works out well for you in the end.

19. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Bloody hell Dave what an absolute bummer,hope you catch the Barst**d or the cheque is honoured which I doubt,but thats an offence in itself knowingly issuing a bouncing cheque so keep the police in the loop.

20. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Why make of RV was it