All drivers should have regular eye tests (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an excellent idea, but why stop there?? test reaction times and hazard perception too and then a simplified retest every 10 years. would remove thousands of bad drivers from the road and help with bad driving habbits

did i mention the 80 year old that crashed into me fracturing my spine. poor reactions and eyesight made worse by a few drinks in the local british legion. thank god he had his licence taken away before killing somebody or ruining more lives

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
an excellent idea, but why stop there?? test reaction times and hazard perception too and then a simplified retest every 10 years. would remove thousands of bad drivers from the road and help with bad driving habbits

did i mention the 80 year old that crashed into me fracturing my spine. poor reactions and eyesight made worse by a few drinks in the local british legion. thank god he had his licence taken away before killing somebody or ruining more lives
Hope your all ok now

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Paul Carroll, director of professional services for Specsavers which is also involved in the campaign,

why doesnt that surprise me ?

a good money spinner for them i guess.

no making light of the thread, but what other reason do they have to be involved

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Paul Carroll, director of professional services for Specsavers which is also involved in the campaign,

why doesnt that surprise me ?

a good money spinner for them i guess.

no making light of the thread, but what other reason do they have to be involved
Well that makes sense pappajohn usual all he got to do now is bung a one of them there government chaps job done and split the profit

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
With the greatest possible respect - I couldn't actually give a tinker's cuss who backs it frankly, as long as they back it.

Most optician chains, if not the private ones, refund the price of your eye test (if you are young enough to pay!) if you need glasses and order them from them anyway.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hope your all ok now

thanks for asking, but it was 20 years ago. plus side is that I managed to retire early due to the long term effects:thumb:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
From 65 years old all hgv drivers have to have a medical every year which includes an eye test which has been uprated. Anyone taking a medical at 70 for an over 3.5 ton motorhome will be subjected to a similar medical but the licence will last for 3 years before the licence needs renewing.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
My Husband had to take a test every year, as he was a volunteer driver for a charity, he is injured so is not driving at all.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Because even if the test is free, what if you can't afford the glasses?

Even the highest rate of the voucher payment (in the most unlikely event you might be entitled to claim that, because they don't like paying it very much and of course it's only every so long you can claim it, so if your sight changes in between times, tough) doesn't cover the cost of complicated lenses AND the frames.

That could be why.

But it is actually another rant, not this one - so I'll shut up !

(This was Sedge not her husband LOL - forgot I was using the lappy!)

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Here is a quick funny story about glasses.

When I first moved down here, many,many moons ago - free and single - I went out to a club with a friend. He was a bit of a ladies man and assured me this club was teeming with wonderful offerings. So off we went.

We got in, and I was politely sitting there looking at the er...offerings, which seemed mainly to be butt-ugly, rough old things which many I was sure should be in bed for school the next morning - the rest looked like they just got out of bed, dragged through hedges and battered with a shovels. I wasn't sure what he meant by 'wonderful' - it certainly didn't agree with my version!

I looked over at him, and noticed he had removed his glasses. He then says ' See full of them eh? Gorgeous babes!'

I replied 'Put your glasses back on, and take another look' - He quickly learned not to try and pull without his glasses! Grunted in agreement and we both laughed it off! See, Glasses are a double edged sword.

You may remove them to try and make yourself look more 'attractive', but in doing so, it does tend to make what you look at seem a little more attractive than it really is too!:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
A compulsory eye test may help but anyone that is driving on todays congested roads that has defective eyesight is just as bad as a drink driver.

It really is a brain test that is required for these individuals.

Come to think of it maybe the insurance companies should request an opticians report at each renewal--------Pfttt they would not wear the blinking glasses

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
hear hear....my local Tescos manager asked me what they could do to improve the store, I said instigate reverse parking Because:

1.it will stop drivers reversing into people and trolleys that are (always) walking behind reversing and departing cars in the car park
2. it will help stop people in the opposite bays reversing into each other
3. it will help stop people reversing out of bays into oncoming cars going up the aisles in the car park
4. people will be unloading their trolleys into their vehicle from a safe pedestrian aisle and not walking on the road and behind reversing cars

The answer was "we cant do that because a lot of our drivers cant reverse very well or at all"

I replied in which case they should not be driving!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What would you recommend as a minimum for this test. Someone who only drives to the supermarket once a week and keeps to 30 mph could manage with far less sight than someone doing 60k a year at night on motorways. I think it works ok as it is. Yet More legislation. Nah...

Anyone I know, knows when they should no longer drive. Specsavers:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back