Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Thanks Peter, did your doctor not sign off your fitness/medical section of the C1.?
Hi Yes medical at my own doctors all the relevant info on screen put on the form and posted to Swansea 26th june and still not sorted so enough is enough. Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Worse might be coming, a friend in the DSA told me they want to cut down on the older driver population and that they might be demanding Exercise tests for all drivers after the age of 70. I cannot do one as I was born with smaller arteries and I cannot get to the limit of 15 minutes without fatigue so, That was the reason I lost my commercial pilots licence 25 years ago, at age 42. I was thinking about a new MH but all the ones I wanted are over 3500 so I am very hesitant about spending so much and having it all taken from me in a couple of years.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If you happen to be the one they pick on they can take forever and ask you to do the absolutely STUPIDEST things. And of course, let's say you were to need half a dozen things testing - mine were the usual diabetic questions, fine, then they wanted my visual acuity without glasses. Why???? - I've worn glasses full time for the last 20 years - WTF is the point of that? So got that done. Another couple of months - peripheral vision. Same delay again. Then I had to make an appointment with the local driving test centre to see if I could read a number plate at 30 paces or whatever it is you need to pass your driving test. Of course I could - but the point was no optician ophthalmologist or eye surgeon was allowed to say that I could - it HAD to be a driving test examiner!! Another delay.

They couldn't find the latter test result, which I watched the examiner FAX to them 5 minutes after he did it. But - he didn't keep a copy, they don't - so here we went again. Another delay.

Then - 7 and a half months after my licence expired (I'd started the renewal process 3 months before that) they wrote and told me I hadn't answered one of the bloody questions on the bloody form!

It was nearly a year - and of course meanwhile - one can only drive everything one drove before renewal, in the UK. Nobody can confirm whether you are legal to drive anything, in any other country. Now I was OK with that because I never drive abroad anyway - but in Peter's case - he can't possibly go abroad not knowing whether he's legal or not, can he? Same as if it was my Pete.

I think you've done the right thing for you right now Peter - good for you taking that decision - all this just wears you down, doesn't it? - which makes you need the holiday even more than you did in the first place before all this crap started!

I think the DVLA are set on getting as many elderly people, or those with other medical defects off the road every year and it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if they didn't have a bloody target.

(Please note bloody is not the word I would actually use in conversation with anyone of you. It all makes me feel quite violent and gives me the sort of red mist I thought I'd seen the end of with the menopause!)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just a thought, if you lose the C1 at age 70, might you also lose the bit allowing you to tow trailers / caravans

Now that new licence holders have to take extra tests to do so?

It already seems mean to lose the C1 bit, but odd to leave other bits unaffected

Not wanting to make you feel even worse, but concerned you may still have other issues (y)

I was wondering that !
IMO a large caravan and I'm assuming large as a 3.5T MH has not been selected as an option would surely present the same risks as a large motorhomefun ?
I'm a little unsure what this C1 involves but a long large articulated rig is more of a potential problem than a motor home ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hope it all works out well for you.

It's interesting to read threads like this. We opted for a motorhome over a caravan partly because neither of us has ever towed and we didn't fancy it. Having got used to the life, though, we think that if/when the time comes that we need a car t get about we would opt for a caravan over nothing. It's encouraging, therefore, to read of others' positive experiences.

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
If you happen to be the one they pick on they can take forever and ask you to do the absolutely STUPIDEST things. And of course, let's say you were to need half a dozen things testing - mine were the usual diabetic questions, fine, then they wanted my visual acuity without glasses. Why???? - I've worn glasses full time for the last 20 years - WTF is the point of that? So got that done. Another couple of months - peripheral vision. Same delay again. Then I had to make an appointment with the local driving test centre to see if I could read a number plate at 30 paces or whatever it is you need to pass your driving test. Of course I could - but the point was no optician ophthalmologist or eye surgeon was allowed to say that I could - it HAD to be a driving test examiner!! Another delay.

They couldn't find the latter test result, which I watched the examiner FAX to them 5 minutes after he did it. But - he didn't keep a copy, they don't - so here we went again. Another delay.

Then - 7 and a half months after my licence expired (I'd started the renewal process 3 months before that) they wrote and told me I hadn't answered one of the bloody questions on the bloody form!

It was nearly a year - and of course meanwhile - one can only drive everything one drove before renewal, in the UK. Nobody can confirm whether you are legal to drive anything, in any other country. Now I was OK with that because I never drive abroad anyway - but in Peter's case - he can't possibly go abroad not knowing whether he's legal or not, can he? Same as if it was my Pete.

I think you've done the right thing for you right now Peter - good for you taking that decision - all this just wears you down, doesn't it? - which makes you need the holiday even more than you did in the first place before all this crap started!

I think the DVLA are set on getting as many elderly people, or those with other medical defects off the road every year and it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if they didn't have a bloody target.

(Please note bloody is not the word I would actually use in conversation with anyone of you. It all makes me feel quite violent and gives me the sort of red mist I thought I'd seen the end of with the menopause!)

Hi
Thanks for your reply I thought I was having it bad, now at least I can get on with my travels. Pete

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Just a thought, if you lose the C1 at age 70, might you also lose the bit allowing you to tow trailers / caravans

Now that new licence holders have to take extra tests to do so?

It already seems mean to lose the C1 bit, but odd to leave other bits unaffected

Not wanting to make you feel even worse, but concerned you may still have other issues (y)

I checked this before buying my car/caravan. I passed my test in the 60s and became 70 in March. I am allowed to drive a car up to 3500kg towing a caravan of the same weight (yes, I know no-one would do that but a total weight of 7000kg) but as you all know my entitlement to drive a 4000kg motorhome was lost unless I had a medical etc.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I was wondering that !
IMO a large caravan and I'm assuming large as a 3.5T MH has not been selected as an option would surely present the same risks as a large motorhomefun ?
I'm a little unsure what this C1 involves but a long large articulated rig is more of a potential problem than a motor home ?
hi, in fact articulated vehicles are far mor manouverable than a long rigid .
plus using a fifth wheel type set up is far better than a conventional trailer set up.
in my case i can turn my twenty foot trailer in a a 20-21ft wide road , not in a banked one i agree but it can get right round to a 90 degree then turn the trailer . yes it drags the wheels but is very maneuverable . its 33ft in total length .
c1 is only a vehicle between 3,500kg and 7.500kg gvw . c1+e allows trailers but with a total trainweight restricted to 8,250kg .
the b+e allows ant weight trailer so long as you dont break the trainweight of the towing vehicle .
so voluntary lower an isuzu or mitsubishi 7.5 ton to 3.5 ton and it keeps its original train weight of 11 tons . sorted . some you can get 12 ton but its only a select few.
they make the rules not us .
depends when you passed your test as well.
also they wont be articulated as to be articulated at least 20%of loaded trailer must super impose on the tow vehicle . most fifth wheel caravans arent articulated . only use fifth wheel as a hitch.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I checked this before buying my car/caravan. I passed my test in the 60s and became 70 in March. I am allowed to drive a car up to 3500kg towing a caravan of the same weight (yes, I know no-one would do that but a total weight of 7000kg) but as you all know my entitlement to drive a 4000kg motorhome was lost unless I had a medical etc.
your info is not correct . that is for new drivers not ones that took their test and had b+e before 19th january 2013 its the trainweight of towing vehicle that restricts what trailers you cab tow

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
your info is not correct . that is for new drivers not ones that took their test and had b+e before 19th january 2013 its the trainweight of towing vehicle that restricts what trailers you cab tow

I stand corrected. I quoted the information given to me by the DVLA in January this year.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with my set up i can lower the truck , but then move the axles forward on the trailer to lighten the pin load then i drive the same vehicle . mind will have to mot it then .ha ha .
its only a game . they make the rules we have to abide by them .

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14

Just checked the Government website what I am entitled to drive. Category B+E for me states the following.
  • Description
    You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver with a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg

I cannot find another instance where towing is mentioned apart from Category B which ststes that I can tow a trailed up to 750kg unbaked.

I am confused where your information came from.
    John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
gov web site .
this is the trouble they try and mask the truth.
thats for licences after 19jan 2013.
it was updated only this month

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I would also like to comment on owning a caravan against a motorhome. I always thought that they both have their merits and downside and having owned both I am convinced of that comment.
My wife and I had fabulous holidays and trips for 11 years with a variety of motorhomes and I would not trade any of those years for anything. We travelled the length and breadth of the UK, France and Spain and loved every minute of it.
Last year we decided that we did not want to flit from place to place and our holidays were more likely to be spent at a single site, we drive there, park up and have a large 4x4 to run around in. That is the good part.
The downside to caravanning is lack of mobility getting to sites, easier to travel on continental motorways and main roads at whatever speed you choose and not to be speed restricted pulling your home behind you.
Journeys have to be planned more, you cannot just find an aire or parking place for the night as easy.
An example happened last May when the ferry to Santander was delayed and then the bow doors damaged so we got off the ferry at midnight with a caravan and the site we had booked long closed for the night.
We set off south and I found an all night petrol station and a hotel with an enormous car park behind. The wife slept in the caravan and I stretched out in the driving seat until daybreak. So it was not too different that if we had kept our motorhome.
Would I go back to a MH. If I could have both I would be a happy bunny but as I cannot I will stick with my caravan. We are all campers after all and long may we all enjoy our hobby.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We were tuggers for more than 30 years and loved it, however we found ourselves, even when spending the Winter abroad, doing more touring (ie staying only between 2 to 4 days in one place) and less staying for a week or more on one site.

Whilst this was OK it seemed that it was time to buy a MoHo which we duly did last year and love it! :)

Horses for courses!! ;)

What does puzzle me (note I said puzzle - not a criticism) are people with a MoHo who go to Spain in November and come home in March having stayed on one site for the whole time - IMHO a car & caravan are much more suited to this type of stay?

Naturally very large MoHo with TOADs (or indeed any MOHO with a TOAD) are excluded from above for obvious reasons

I repeat this is not a criticism merely an observation & opinion :)

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
I pulled a caravan for 3 years we went to croatia twice and spain.i had a large single wheel caravan that weighed 1500k when loaded and pulled it with a new 3.0v6 automatic diesel mercedes vito.the van would pull the caravan easy but i never felt comfortable towing the thing would bob the rear end swerve in side winds ,coaches overtaking were a nightmare and lorries,in the end we sold the caravan which was only 4 years old and we now have a 16year old tag axle motorhome . its slower and noisier but it drives straight and nver gives me the feeling of going to jacknife at any moment. i miss the vito drive but cant justify 50k plus for a newer motorhome.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I feel for you I really do. I'm going through all this at 61 and it's a PITA it is for sure. I was made redundant in the summer so decided to go back trucking, I had let my entitlement laps in March 2014 when I turned 60. I have had the medical, walked the treadmill, done my CPC, got my driver card and then I had to fill in a thirteen page questionare plus they have contacted my doctor again. So it's far from finished I think.
As far as becoming a tugger it's very different abroad as France is Camper Car friendly but not so for caravans. Sites are so much better and as you seem to be going for the winter you will be fine, have a great time .(y) :)

How long after your HGV expires can you still renew it ? BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We were tuggers for more than 30 years and loved it, however we found ourselves, even when spending the Winter abroad, doing more touring (ie staying only between 2 to 4 days in one place) and less staying for a week or more on one site.

Whilst this was OK it seemed that it was time to buy a MoHo which we duly did last year and love it! :)

Horses for courses!! ;)

What does puzzle me (note I said puzzle - not a criticism) are people with a MoHo who go to Spain in November and come home in March having stayed on one site for the whole time - IMHO a car & caravan are much more suited to this type of stay?

Naturally very large MoHo with TOADs (or indeed any MOHO with a TOAD) are excluded from above for obvious reasons

I repeat this is not a criticism merely an observation & opinion :)

We do three months in winter on same site but tour Europe april until mid July and again a couple of months sept oct so Motorhome perfect for us but would not consider a TOAD. BUSBY.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
@peter marshall

Hi
Thanks for your reply I thought I was having it bad, now at least I can get on with my travels. Pete

I forgot about the part where DVLA swore they'd told the Driving Test Centre, and the Driving Test Centre swore they hadn't. And apparently, the DVLA don't remind them. Not their practice, apparently. They have no control over the Test Centre and it was WRONG of me to Expect them to do anything!

However - the test centre - after I actually went and saw them, fell on their necks and showed them all the emails and letters and they could see I was being reasonable and not exaggerating - sent a Fax to DVLA asking them to extract their digit. Dunno how they worded that - but the main thing was it worked, so a couple of days later they were able to ring me to arrange the sight test.

That was actually over 4 years ago now, on my last but one renewal.

It was with MUCH trepidation (having checked rechecked and treble checked that I HAD answered all the questions in my best handwriting LOL) that I sent off the form. And within 3-4 weeks they returned my renewed licence - just as they always had every 'other' 3 years since 1989 when I first had to renew it!

I dunno how I could possibly have handled this, had I still been at work. You know how long the Medical Branch take to answer the phone!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi
Uplifted verbatim from the DVLA site moments ago.:-

Category B+E
You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on when you passed your test. If you passed your test:

• before 19 January 2013 you can tow any size trailer
  • on or after 19 January 2013 you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg.

Seems clear to me the restriction is on the TOW vehicle?.

When we sold the R-V. We had a car caravan for almost 3 years, The biggest issue we had was comfort. There was NO WAY. either of us, both have back issues, could sit in any comfort. In fact we actually considered removing the front seating and Installing two reclining chairs!. That was the "crunch". We now have two "captain" chairs which give far more support and comfort and we can turn them to elevate the legs using the seating set, (essential for SWMBO as she has circulation issues result of lifelong childhood trauma). IF you are OK with caravan seating, then that is one way to go. But for us it did not work.

Pete

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Well after all this time and letters and my phone call's to the DVLA. My Licence minus the C1 turned up this morning only a week after I told them to forget my application for C1. at least that's finished. Pete (y)(y)(y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
with my set up i can lower the truck , but then move the axles forward on the trailer to lighten the pin load then i drive the same vehicle . mind will have to mot it then .ha ha .
its only a game . they make the rules we have to abide by them .

It would be interesting to have more details about your set up! What is the tractor unit? Make. Model. Engine.

What is the trailer unit? Presumably converted from something else!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It would be interesting to have more details about your set up! What is the tractor unit? Make. Model. Engine.

What is the trailer unit? Presumably converted from something else!
the unit is a mitsubishi canter 6,3ton . was a tipper . got a shortened chassis , and electric gast compressor fitted as the truck isnt on air brakes . it has hydraulic to ait actuators that work the brakes on trailer. its a 3.9 litre engine .
the trailer is a lynton artic trailer made in 1987. was used by a double glazing company for several years from new with a vw lt50 pulling it . i at first used the vw but 8 years ago built the mitzy.
it was just an empty trailer. some pics of it empty . then one looking forward on the neck of trailer then one backwards . i have lowered the trailer from its original 5tons to 3.5tons . as i carry m,bikes in the rear its a living van . living vans upto 3.5ton dont require mot . if i lower the truck to 3.5tons gvw i can put the trailer back to 5tons . dont carry the m,bikes and it can be made back into a caravan . but i will have to move the trailer axles forward so there is less weight on the fifth wheel. thats easy as the axles are on a bogie so few nuts bolts its done .
hope that gives you a better idea . there are several similar ones out there . plus lynton have been building fifth wheel caravans even before 87 .

Attachments

• img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 22
  • img021.jpg
    img021.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 21
  • img022.jpg
    img022.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 21
  • img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 20
  • img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 21

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
How long after your HGV expires can you still renew it ? BUSBY.
I let mine go in March 2014 when I turned 60 because I was in a supposedly secure job in the renewables industry, I was made redundant last Dec and decided I didn't like my new job in July this year and applied for my HGV in August.
A very good friends dad has just got his back aged 70 after six years as he lost his wife recently and wanted something to do.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
That is a fascinating set up. I never knew that sort of thing existed or the special rules that allow it. Perhaps not my wife's cup of tea but I can see the attractions in terms of weights, licences and lack of MOT on the trailer unit. Its a sort of half way house between a Motorhome and a caravan or perhaps the best of both worlds.

I have seen 5th wheel set ups in Canada and they have made an appearance over here but yours seems to be a more substantial set up than those.

Thanks for putting up the details and the pics.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was wondering that !

Agreed.
My last motorhome was 33ft long and rigid bodied.
My current caravan and car is around 38ft with a bendy bit in the middle which gives it the abilty to jacknife.
Far more dangerous in my view.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back