All a bit too much to take in .

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by jong, Nov 26, 2009.

1. jong

jong Read Only Funster

Hello

We have just become the proud owners of a 1978 Dodge Vogue. Due to personal circumstances, work commitments and a dog, trying to organise family holidays or weekend aways have become more and more difficult to arrange. So with a lot of thought and a small amount of knowledge we have taken the plunge. First experience of driving a left hand drive vehicle and of anything of that size (29ft long) was the journey home (120 mls) , It was an experience that was to be shared by my father but that plan fell through at the last minute so I drove her back up to Saddleworth on my own. It was an adventure and a bit scary but I managed it ( there was a small incident with a wing mirror but i won't go into that).

Now that she is at home we are waiting for her a have a service with our local garage, the owner is a close friend and there are some body work issues that will need to addresses sooner or later (being 31 years old). The previous owner has given me all the original manuals and gave me a tour of how things work (or don't) but I must say the prospect of the pending journey took up most of my concentration.

We have her insured with Sureterm and the breakdown cover is with Green flag via the Caravan club membership scheme.

So just wanted to make my first post and take the opportunity of saying Hello to everyone.

All the best Jon & Sarah

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

Welcome to Fun and good luck with your new rv.

You will have a ball. Never think a question is to silly to be asked. Weve probabley all asked the same one.

Cheers
    Jim
    :thumb:

3. jong

jong Read Only Funster

Hi Jim

Thanks for that. Been on the drive for a week now and not turned a wheel but I keep going in every morning and night (between work), having a good look round thinking "what does that do and what does this do?. We are planning to go away for a few days after Christmas and before New Year so the pressure is on (especially from the kids) to get our act together. Must say we are really looking forward to it.

Once again thanks for the support.

Cheers Jon & Sarah

4. tony morris

tony morris Read Only Funster

Hi welcome to m/h forum,
    enjoy yourshelfs,have fun,
    you will soon get used to things,
    has you go along your way
    good luck to you both. Tony

5. wayfarer

wayfarer Read Only Funster

Hi Jon & Sarah, all this is part of the experience of owning a motorhome, enjoy every minute of exploring the rv, doing the repairs, finding out how things work and finally going on a trip. Its a great life.

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Jon & Sarah

WELCOME to MH Fun:BigGrin::BigGrin:

Hope all goes well when you get away on your first trip.
    As already said any questions just ask, don't worry how silly it sounds to you its a problem, we will do our best to answer.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Welcome.

Phil

8. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Hi, as they all said:thumb:

Our first RV was a Dodge chassised (does our 'handle' give it away?) C class, a mere 22ft though.

One thing I would jump in with is, and I don't mean to worry etc but, year one we went with Caravan club and the green flag/Mayday thing and, we had a little breakdown which fortunatly I was able to sort but due to location, busy roundabout and a bank holiday weekend I called them:Blush:

What a farse, they didn't get any one to us but we had three, yes three different breakdown firms all part of green flag phone and say oh no we can't deal with that, all in 1 hour:Angry:

We're now with the C&CC and RAC, which I knew I should have done in the first place but........

Anyway, have fun:thumb:

9. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Jon and Sarah,:BigGrin: and :welcome:to the house of Fun.:thumb:

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Jon & Sara, they built those buses to last didn't they:BigGrin: have fun. There are a couple of old dodgers on this site so if you need help just shout. Meanwhile how about showing us some pictures of the old girl. :thumb:

11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome, hope you have many happy travels in your new toy. The folk on here are a great bunch and will all help if asked

12. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Welcome Jong!

Good for you - you'll love it. Kudos for picking such a big 'un for your first RV:Smile:

13. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

All a bit much to take in

You'll soon be old hands!!

Have fun, S.:BigGrin:

14. geoff587

geoff587 Read Only Funster

Welcome, glad too see more bikers on the site :thumb:

15. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

Welcome to MHF, in the 2 months we've been members we have found it a great source of information and insporation.

After 5 months of having our van, we've only spent 19 nights in it, but those 19 nights have been some of the best times we've had and the kids love going of to explore wherever we go.:thumb:

16. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, and welcome to the site, loads of info on here, just ask. Nice rv hope you get out and about soon.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

17. johng

johng Read Only Funster

hi and welcome jong :)

i can relate quite well, having a25 year old chevy (23') and various issues with it :Rofl1:

johng

18. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Hi Jon and Sara , it is an exciting time, so have fun with your new baby and welcome to the fun place to be :thumb: look forward to meeting you sometime at one of the funster's meets

Kath and John

19. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

WELCOME
    not been on here long myself but I love this site the attitude of the people here is great I am hoping to go to a meet or two next year and make some new friends
    :thumb: