Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Im wondering if there are any issues that I need to be aware of with the Rear Axle of my MH its the Torsion Rear Beam type built in 1998 attached to a Boxer.

Known Symptoms: I have a wobble feels like a buckled wheel but ive just been out & changed the n/s to the spare & quick run around the block tells me its still there.
Also when changing the wheel I noticed some grease oozing out of the Centre cap.

The handbook don't tell me much just that it needs greasing regularly so if I could get some info before I take it to the dealer that would be great.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not sure about yours but Al-Ko suspension units usually require greasing on an annual basis. If not then the unit can fail and it can be VERY expensive to fix. Others with more knowledge can probably comment better than this. Hope it isn't a big problem, though

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In order to grease it, you have to get the axle onto stands and let the wheels hang free (both sides). Just pumping grease in with the van on all four wheels doesn't work. No direct experience - just what I have read about the Alko torsion bar axle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure from reading your post, is the grease coming out of the centre cap of the suspension or the centre cap of the hub. If it's the latter it's probably a wheel bearing - which would give you a 'woobly' wheel

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not sure from reading your post, is the grease coming out of the centre cap of the suspension or the centre cap of the hub. If it's the latter it's probably a wheel bearing - which would give you a 'woobly' wheel
Centre cap

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ill have to drive it a bit more to varify but Ive been out again & its not as bad as it was so this tlls me that either

1, its got 2 buckled wheels due to inconsiderate previous owner/s
2, its the wheel bearing either its had one @ some time odd at only 39000 miles on the clock :Mellow:
3, is it possible this is related to axle greasing i.e over greasing :Confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back