Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Some of the vans I have been considering recently have been built on the low Alko chassis.
I know that they give a far more stable ride than the stock van base, but I have also read in various forums, that the ground clearance is sometimes an issue which can cause 'grounding' on the chassis rails or exhaust extension in certain circumstances.
Does anyone have experience of this?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Some of the vans I have been considering recently have been built on the low Alko chassis.
I know that they give a far more stable ride than the stock van base, but I have also read in various forums, that the ground clearance is sometimes an issue which can cause 'grounding' on the chassis rails or exhaust extension in certain circumstances.
Does anyone have experience of this?

Hi joggerman, we have the very low Alko chassis and long wheel base (4.5m) which gives a very stable ride .. yes we have, over 3 years had minor issues with the clearance such as knocking off the fresh water drain on and scraping the underside on sleeping policemen, but nothing serious.

We have had AS Air suspension added, not so much to improve the ride, but we can now lift the chassis by about 80mm at the rear from the cab if required for ferries etc.

Brian

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have had two alko chassis vans. The current one has quite an overhang and it has only grounded out a couple of times, and tbh I think my fiat panda would of grounded out at the same place. Even then it was only the tow bar which sits slightly lower than the rest of the van.

The main benefit I see of the alko chasis is not just the stability being better but the potential for a far greater payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is also galvanised and has no hollow box sections to be concerned about corrosion :thumb:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a tag alko and the only issue with clearance was the standard exhaust. It hangs very low possibly due to the hand brake cable running above the box. We have just had a custom exhaust fitted and the problem is no more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
no problems in 4 years of ownership,:thumb:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have had 2 Lunar Roadstar (780/786) 2005/2006 vintage both on the same lwb lowline alko chassis. The overhang at the back grounded regularly and getting on or off a ferry always grounded. The 780 was particularly bad because of the design of the rear cross member.

I had AS suspension fit air suspension on both so that the rear could be raised to overcome the problem.

lunarman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back