Alko Chassis

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by joggerman, Apr 4, 2013.

1. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

Some of the vans I have been considering recently have been built on the low Alko chassis.
    I know that they give a far more stable ride than the stock van base, but I have also read in various forums, that the ground clearance is sometimes an issue which can cause 'grounding' on the chassis rails or exhaust extension in certain circumstances.
    Does anyone have experience of this?

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hi joggerman, we have the very low Alko chassis and long wheel base (4.5m) which gives a very stable ride .. yes we have, over 3 years had minor issues with the clearance such as knocking off the fresh water drain on and scraping the underside on sleeping policemen, but nothing serious.

We have had AS Air suspension added, not so much to improve the ride, but we can now lift the chassis by about 80mm at the rear from the cab if required for ferries etc.

Brian

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have had two alko chassis vans. The current one has quite an overhang and it has only grounded out a couple of times, and tbh I think my fiat panda would of grounded out at the same place. Even then it was only the tow bar which sits slightly lower than the rest of the van.

The main benefit I see of the alko chasis is not just the stability being better but the potential for a far greater payload.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It is also galvanised and has no hollow box sections to be concerned about corrosion :thumb:

5. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

Plus space for an Andy designed DIY underslung spare wheel carrier!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. jezport

jezport Funster

We have a tag alko and the only issue with clearance was the standard exhaust. It hangs very low possibly due to the hand brake cable running above the box. We have just had a custom exhaust fitted and the problem is no more.

7. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

no problems in 4 years of ownership,:thumb:

8. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I have had 2 Lunar Roadstar (780/786) 2005/2006 vintage both on the same lwb lowline alko chassis. The overhang at the back grounded regularly and getting on or off a ferry always grounded. The 780 was particularly bad because of the design of the rear cross member.

I had AS suspension fit air suspension on both so that the rear could be raised to overcome the problem.

lunarman