Alko Chassis Rear Brake system 2007. (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

I know there is a thread somewhere, but search will not pull it up. I am looking for details of the rear braking system AND primarily the CORRECT method of setting it up. I am due MOT this Month and think the Handbrake is the likely possible Failure Point.

I could "Wing it". but I am sure I have seen a thread?

Pete

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Mine is later, the rear hubs are fiat parts and rear handbrake is TOP hat style with drum brake handbrake inside the hat bit, normal disc on outer bit. With one wheel bolt removed you can adjust the brake shoes, this should be done before adjusting handbrake cables or rods. Suggest Google ducato top hat handbrake. Sorry haven't link you asked for.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I too was worried about the handbrake at yesterday's MOT, as it is CRAP with a capital K!
All previous Fiat based MHs have been the same, won't even hold on ramps at full stretch, top knotch.

However it passed, and was not adisory noted.
Weird to me as if that was the cars, or work pickup or van I feel sure it would fail.
I have no reserve travel on the hb, always at top.
I just try to leave it off as much as poss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Do a search for X250 Handbrake as I asked the same question a few days ago, got some good info, however did not adjust, just waited to see.
Can't put a link to it as I don't know how, meez dumb at that

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Suggest Google ducato top hat handbrake.

Didn't THAT open up a can o worms!!!. It would appear that getting the handbrake to "MOT" standard is just about possible!. UNLESS you do a complete strip, clean, de-glaze (or replace) the Shoes, AND then assemble and adjust meticulously. anything less will produce a "fail" (and assumeably a LARGE bill)!!.
I feel an long session coming on!. Hope the sun shines as I have to work outside!.

P.s Found the thread. Fiat x250 handbrake. now bookmarked!!

So thanks to all posters:)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Pete

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I undertook a brake overhaul of the disc pads last year (here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/general-maintenance-diy.118579/ and here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ducato-owners-beware.118694/)

I was going to strip out the rear brakes to view the handbrake, but on inspection, it's not a quick job and they had passed the MOT no problem, so never did it.

I was surprised at the fact that after only a few miles in respect of wear and tear, the front pads had broken up. I originally just did a visual on the amount of "meat" left on the pads, however on the advice of a fellow Funster, removed them for a closer inspection and found that they had indeed, broken up.

The link above gives details. Apologies that it's a few pages long :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back