Alko Chassis Rear Brake system 2007.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PeteH, Apr 5, 2016.

1. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Hi

I know there is a thread somewhere, but search will not pull it up. I am looking for details of the rear braking system AND primarily the CORRECT method of setting it up. I am due MOT this Month and think the Handbrake is the likely possible Failure Point.

I could "Wing it". but I am sure I have seen a thread?

Pete

2. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Mine is later, the rear hubs are fiat parts and rear handbrake is TOP hat style with drum brake handbrake inside the hat bit, normal disc on outer bit. With one wheel bolt removed you can adjust the brake shoes, this should be done before adjusting handbrake cables or rods. Suggest Google ducato top hat handbrake. Sorry haven't link you asked for.

3. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

I too was worried about the handbrake at yesterday's MOT, as it is CRAP with a capital K!
    All previous Fiat based MHs have been the same, won't even hold on ramps at full stretch, top knotch.

However it passed, and was not adisory noted.
    Weird to me as if that was the cars, or work pickup or van I feel sure it would fail.
    I have no reserve travel on the hb, always at top.
    I just try to leave it off as much as poss.

4. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

Do a search for X250 Handbrake as I asked the same question a few days ago, got some good info, however did not adjust, just waited to see.
    Can't put a link to it as I don't know how, meez dumb at that

5. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Didn't THAT open up a can o worms!!!. It would appear that getting the handbrake to "MOT" standard is just about possible!. UNLESS you do a complete strip, clean, de-glaze (or replace) the Shoes, AND then assemble and adjust meticulously. anything less will produce a "fail" (and assumeably a LARGE bill)!!.
    I feel an long session coming on!. Hope the sun shines as I have to work outside!.

P.s Found the thread. Fiat x250 handbrake. now bookmarked!!

So thanks to all posters:)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Pete

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I undertook a brake overhaul of the disc pads last year (here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/general-maintenance-diy.118579/ and here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ducato-owners-beware.118694/)

I was going to strip out the rear brakes to view the handbrake, but on inspection, it's not a quick job and they had passed the MOT no problem, so never did it.

I was surprised at the fact that after only a few miles in respect of wear and tear, the front pads had broken up. I originally just did a visual on the amount of "meat" left on the pads, however on the advice of a fellow Funster, removed them for a closer inspection and found that they had indeed, broken up.

The link above gives details. Apologies that it's a few pages long :)