Alibi may be needed (seriously) (1 Viewer)

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi,

We have just discovered that while we were at Long Marston our car number plates were stolen. We only just noticed it and the neighbours had seen nothing unusual.The police have been and given us a crime number and have warned us we may be faced with an influx of speeding tickets, bilkings, parking tickets etc and goodness knows what else, depending what as happened.They say that probably the plates were used to steal petrol and thrown away, but to be prepare for other issues.

Anyway, depending on the seriousness of such issues, we may need to prove that we were not the drivers of any vehicle using that number plate during the 6 days since we went away to Long Marston. If that is the case, I am hopeful the Funsters and RVOC members we met will confirm our location if necessary. I seriously doubt it will come to that but who knows.

Hubby is now attempting to find a supplier of screw on number plates, but everything seems to be stick ons, which puts us back at risk again. :Doh:

Mary :Angry:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It might be worth getting a really cheap custom reg number from the DVLA. I think these are less than £40.

If the DVLA mark the old plates as no longer in use and the new plates are the ones registered to you it should prevent any issues going forward?????

I don't know if this would work or not depends how the PNC deals with not in use anymore plates?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi sorry to hear of your misfortune --why not simply get stick ons and either self tap or bolt through them :thumb::Smile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have to say that the bolt on or screw on plates are easier to steal and use again.

The stick on plates virtually self destruct in the removal process if you've used the correct adhesive pads.

We use the same plates for screw/bolt or sticky-pads the only difference is whether we drill a hole in them or not!
:Smile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
For the moment, I would do nothing. You have reported the theft to the police. You are innocent in all matters. Speeding tickets will carry details of the car used in the form of a photograph, which will simply show it is not your vehicle. Even parking tickets issued by CEO's carry the make and colour and in most cases any details from the road fund license. In all criminal matters, like petrol theft, again petrol stations use video, wrong car again and anyway at all times, let them prove it was you. :thumb:

Last edited:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
What about the security screws available on Fleabay ? :Smile:

security-screws-white-850.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For the moment, I would do nothing. You have reported the theft to the police. You are innocent in all matters. [HI]Speeding tickets will carry details of the car used in the form of a photograph, which will simply show it is not your vehicle.[/HI] Even parking tickets issued by CEO's carry the make and colour and in most cases any details from the road fund license. In all criminal matters, like petrol theft, again petrol stations use video, wrong car again and anyway at all times, let them prove it was you. :thumb:

More than that, unless the vehicle happens to be a similar model they should not even obtain your personal data from DVLA in order to send you the ticket.

Some years ago I received a ticket from TfL for driving in a bus lane in London. Apart from the fact that my car at the time (Citroen Berlingo) had never been anywhere near London the photo showed a Renault Clio. I complained to TfL that they had breached the Data Protection Act because they should have checked the car model to screen out cloning before obtaining my personal data - just like other authorities already did. TfL upgraded their procedures as a result.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have to say that the bolt on or screw on plates are easier to steal and use again.

The stick on plates virtually self destruct in the removal process if you've used the correct adhesive pads.

We use the same plates for screw/bolt or sticky-pads the only difference is whether we drill a hole in them or not!
:Smile:

Hi Popeye simply get a bit of string /fishing line and use a sawaing motion -takes about 5 seconds to remove a stick on plate ::bigsmile: :Doh: same to remove screws though ::bigsmile:
terry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Make sure you both carry a copy of the crime number when either of you drive the car, that happened to my mum a few years ago, and she got stopped a couple of times by the police checking the plates out as they were reported as stolen, so if stopped you can prove it was you that reported it as you have the crime number assigned to the theft.

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
You do not need to prove anything. You have reported the theft. Not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately. Most likely to have been taken for a single tank of fuel and as suggested by the police at the time, disposed of. Your vehicle should now have a temporary marker on the PNC indicating the theft. May "Ping" police ANPR cameras but other than a stop and check VIN details that is all that should happen.

If the thieves are stupid enough to leave your number plates on to be "pinged" themselves then crime solved! But even your average fuel thief is now up to ANPR cameras.

Steve

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Surely you have an Alibi as you were listed at a rally and have proof thats where you were.
The neighbours must be able to vouch your car was parked at home anyway. Dont worry as the others have said you have the Police involved.
Good Luck :winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I didn't see em at the rally:RollEyes:
Geo

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
When we were in Spain last winter-----we were seen fly-tipping with our 'white van':ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(in England)
Our alibi was accepted without problem:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala
BTW--I might have your van on a photo

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I believe you can apply to DVLA for new plates if yours have been stolen.

Does your police force not provide you with free anti theft screws for your plates, ours do.

Go to halfords - they do two sets that look very similar make sure you get the anti theft ones.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Them personlised number plates have got to be worth nicking, some of them cost thousands:ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I had a set stolen a couple of years ago, I got a crime number and kept a copy safe in the car should I get stopped. Never had a single report of my plates being used. I wouldn't worry about tamper proofing them. If they want them they will get them off. Just stick them back on. Very unlikely to happen again.:thumb:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
we haven't had plates stolen, but we have had our discovery cloned, and followed by several tickets for parking speeding etc., however after a couple of e-mails and photographic proof of our vehicle all alleged offences were dropped and the polive now have details of the fact our truck is cloned.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hubby has some plates coming from Ebay. No questions asked, whereas our Halfords and the local Skoda garage wanted the crime number and proof of ownership with documentation. I do wonder why ours was the only vehicle targetted. Ah well, karma is a bitch. Thanks all for your kind input on this. It has helped. :thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A good few years ago I bought a new Ford Ka V95 DPS. When I collected it, it was parked next door to an identical one with reg no V96 DPS. Struck me then that it would be easy to get out the paintbrush, make a minor alteration and go on the rampage .......... ::bigsmile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
To stop license plates being cloned they changed the law so that you have to show ownership of the vehicle if you want new plated made, so by buying of the internet you may be enabling the ongoing issue of cloned vehicles. Not trying to preach by any means though. And I woudnt bother buying special screws as if they want them they will have them, and as for an alibi I really woudnt worry about it

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't believe any of it!

Why bother to nick plates when you can order them off the web? Simply see a number on a similar vehicle and order a set of dodgy plates?

The OP even did it as replacements

Probably drunk kids thinking that it is funny and tossed them in a hedge on the way home or stuck them on their bedroom wall.

I wouldn't worry about it!

Eddie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't believe any of it!

Why bother to nick plates when you can order them off the web? Simply see a number on a similar vehicle and order a set of dodgy plates?

The OP even did it as replacements

Probably drunk kids thinking that it is funny and tossed them in a hedge on the way home or stuck them on their bedroom wall.

I wouldn't worry about it!

Eddie
Easy enough on such as eBay, but near on impossible at a regular outlet without proof of ownership.

A thief isnt going to spend time and money on something he can steal.

and i'm sure a number isn't picked intentionally...just a random, spur of the moment theft in most cases.

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I think you will find that plates are nicked in order to put on vehicle and then go into a garage and fill up with fuel and then do a runner. Camera shows up number plate, but robber discards the number plate once he has evaded paying for the fuel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back