Alibi may be needed (seriously)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wizbangs, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Hi,

We have just discovered that while we were at Long Marston our car number plates were stolen. We only just noticed it and the neighbours had seen nothing unusual.The police have been and given us a crime number and have warned us we may be faced with an influx of speeding tickets, bilkings, parking tickets etc and goodness knows what else, depending what as happened.They say that probably the plates were used to steal petrol and thrown away, but to be prepare for other issues.

Anyway, depending on the seriousness of such issues, we may need to prove that we were not the drivers of any vehicle using that number plate during the 6 days since we went away to Long Marston. If that is the case, I am hopeful the Funsters and RVOC members we met will confirm our location if necessary. I seriously doubt it will come to that but who knows.

Hubby is now attempting to find a supplier of screw on number plates, but everything seems to be stick ons, which puts us back at risk again. :Doh:

Mary :Angry:

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It might be worth getting a really cheap custom reg number from the DVLA. I think these are less than £40.

If the DVLA mark the old plates as no longer in use and the new plates are the ones registered to you it should prevent any issues going forward?????

I don't know if this would work or not depends how the PNC deals with not in use anymore plates?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi sorry to hear of your misfortune --why not simply get stick ons and either self tap or bolt through them :thumb::Smile:
    terry

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have to say that the bolt on or screw on plates are easier to steal and use again.

The stick on plates virtually self destruct in the removal process if you've used the correct adhesive pads.

We use the same plates for screw/bolt or sticky-pads the only difference is whether we drill a hole in them or not!
    :Smile:

5. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

For the moment, I would do nothing. You have reported the theft to the police. You are innocent in all matters. Speeding tickets will carry details of the car used in the form of a photograph, which will simply show it is not your vehicle. Even parking tickets issued by CEO's carry the make and colour and in most cases any details from the road fund license. In all criminal matters, like petrol theft, again petrol stations use video, wrong car again and anyway at all times, let them prove it was you. :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

What about the security screws available on Fleabay ? :Smile:

[​IMG]

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

More than that, unless the vehicle happens to be a similar model they should not even obtain your personal data from DVLA in order to send you the ticket.

Some years ago I received a ticket from TfL for driving in a bus lane in London. Apart from the fact that my car at the time (Citroen Berlingo) had never been anywhere near London the photo showed a Renault Clio. I complained to TfL that they had breached the Data Protection Act because they should have checked the car model to screen out cloning before obtaining my personal data - just like other authorities already did. TfL upgraded their procedures as a result.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Popeye simply get a bit of string /fishing line and use a sawaing motion -takes about 5 seconds to remove a stick on plate :BigGrin: :Doh: same to remove screws though :BigGrin:
    terry

9. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Make sure you both carry a copy of the crime number when either of you drive the car, that happened to my mum a few years ago, and she got stopped a couple of times by the police checking the plates out as they were reported as stolen, so if stopped you can prove it was you that reported it as you have the crime number assigned to the theft.

• Like Like x 3
  10. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

You do not need to prove anything. You have reported the theft. Not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately. Most likely to have been taken for a single tank of fuel and as suggested by the police at the time, disposed of. Your vehicle should now have a temporary marker on the PNC indicating the theft. May "Ping" police ANPR cameras but other than a stop and check VIN details that is all that should happen.

If the thieves are stupid enough to leave your number plates on to be "pinged" themselves then crime solved! But even your average fuel thief is now up to ANPR cameras.

Steve

11. Mavis

Mavis Funster

Surely you have an Alibi as you were listed at a rally and have proof thats where you were.
    The neighbours must be able to vouch your car was parked at home anyway. Dont worry as the others have said you have the Police involved.
    Good Luck :Wink:

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I didn't see em at the rally:RollEyes:
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mavis

Mavis Funster

Im sure we could bribe you to say you did --you little devil :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

stickaflex

put a few blobs of stickaflex ( caravan adhesive ) on and use sticky pads, they will not come off

15. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

When we were in Spain last winter-----we were seen fly-tipping with our 'white van':Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:(in England)
    Our alibi was accepted without problem:thumb:
    Nigel & Pamala
    BTW--I might have your van on a photo

16. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I believe you can apply to DVLA for new plates if yours have been stolen.

Does your police force not provide you with free anti theft screws for your plates, ours do.

Go to halfords - they do two sets that look very similar make sure you get the anti theft ones.

17. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Them personlised number plates have got to be worth nicking, some of them cost thousands:Rofl1:

18. buttons

buttons Funster

I had a set stolen a couple of years ago, I got a crime number and kept a copy safe in the car should I get stopped. Never had a single report of my plates being used. I wouldn't worry about tamper proofing them. If they want them they will get them off. Just stick them back on. Very unlikely to happen again.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. the stig

the stig Funster

we haven't had plates stolen, but we have had our discovery cloned, and followed by several tickets for parking speeding etc., however after a couple of e-mails and photographic proof of our vehicle all alleged offences were dropped and the polive now have details of the fact our truck is cloned.

20. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I didn't see em cos I wasn't there:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1