Algeria or Tunisia? Libya or Egypt? (1 Viewer)

Terriex

Free Member
Jan 28, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
1 year
Hi.
Has anyone travelled further afield? We're hoping to leave Europe for Morocco in September and then travel to Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and then round back to Europe.
I'd appreciate any feedback.
Many thanks.
Terrie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not 100% sure but i think taking a foreign registered vehicle into Egypt can be a problem...and i dont mean the current uprising.

someone will advise to the contrary i'm sure. :Doh::roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi.
Has anyone travelled further afield? We're hoping to leave Europe for Morocco in September and then travel to Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and then round back to Europe.
Terrie

You get 10 out of 10 for ambition.

Has anyone travelled that far ? Ewen and Charlie and Alexander.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Morocco / Algeria border is closed.. has been for some years .. so as a route along the N African Coast .. that is a non starter. You can get a ferry from Spain to Tunisia

This is a good club for overland journeys .. well worth reading
http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/index.html

In saying that, Morocco is a fabulous country to visit and you could spend many weeks if not months touring it.. the max length of a visitors visa is 3 months but AFAIK it can be extended by applying at a Police station.. no doubt a few Euro will help that process along. :winky:

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Hello,

I travelled down to lybia a few years back.
We went down to south france then crossed into tunisia for which we needed visa's. We then travelled down into lybia, at the lybian border you have to register your vehicle with the 'authorities' and you are given a 'tourist' number plate. The cost of the plate also included the cost of temp insurance for your stay.
We went down with an expedition tour that was going to drive into the sahara to view the eclipse. We had our own security gaurd with us and we did have a local vehicle with 2 locals with us as cooks, but helped with border patrol etc.

You must remember that the country still works well with the 'bribery system'.
so expect to use this system to your advantage.
They are not always wanting 'cash'.
We took a lot of free stickers that were collected from 4x4 shows and had them stashed in the dash board.
When we got to border crossings or police checks they were made extremely visible but not actually offered.
When they showed interest, we pretend to say they are valuable to us as they are for friends, that makes them more desirable. Worked very well on 3 occasions.

Do plenty of research into the area that you want to travel, check with foriegn office, and i would recommend that you travel with a few other vehicles for a little security.

Have a fantastic trip if/when you go.:thumb:

Sahara travel based in Ireland do regular trips out there, they may be able to offer some advice on your trip. Frank is the bloke we went with.

Regards

Cheyne:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
WOW !!!!

All of that area is volatile !!!
Go to Scotland, I believe that some of them speak English and the scenery far outways vast tracts of sand and f. all else !!!
That's just my opinion !!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
You share my thought, what a time to visit these places:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hello,

I travelled down to lybia a few years back.
We went down to south france then crossed into tunisia for which we needed visa's. We then travelled down into lybia, at the lybian border you have to register your vehicle with the 'authorities' and you are given a 'tourist' number plate. The cost of the plate also included the cost of temp insurance for your stay.
Cheyne:thumb:

OK you've convinced me, 'er indoors is loading up as I type.

I never realised it could be this easy.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We'll be seeing you on Al-Jazerra in a jumpsuit soon then! lol::bigsmile:

Good luck!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi.
Many thanks.
Terrie

I hope you have a will made, or is this a windup?

Doug...

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
take a chance and come to glasgow:Cool:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi.
Many thanks.
Terrie

Hi Terrie,

We had a trip round North Africa/Middle East planned for December via Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Israel.

The trip is know on hold for the foreseeable future, as we are nearer 80 than 70 I think we will be very lucky if we ever complete the trip at all. The borders of Algeria are closed so a trip from Morocco is not on.

If you are still keen to see the Middle East you could go via Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Israel.

Some points to bear in mind.

You can not enter Syria with an Israel stamp in your passport, we planned to exit Israel by ferry.

You will need a Carnet de Passage see Link Removed for Syria and Jordan it is twice the vehicle value and Egypt it is eight times the vehicle. Fortunately the valuation of motorhomes is done on the base vehicle not the conversion. My 2003 Fiat Ducato Timberland is valued at £1100 for the purpose of the carnet.

Some friends were in Egypt when the troubles kick off and the last I heard they were stranded in Jordan as they were unable to get a visa to enter Syria at the border. See their blog at Link Removed

See also http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1046/30/ for info on Syria and Jordan.

I have a great deal of info/maps I've gathered over the last six months so if anybody wants to chance their luck in future please get in touch.

Safe travelling.

Don
Still in sunny (32C) Perth until 8th April. See you at the Peterborough hopefully.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
The well tested and old plan of a circumnavigate of the Med is not on and has not been for many years........Nothing to do with the current “situation”.

The border between Morocco and Algeria has been closed for many years........BUT, there is some very recent movement, but don’t hold your breath {see press release below}.........

“........After 15 years of closed Moroccan-Algerian border, and after many calls to open the border by Rabat and several Arab and Western capitals, sources in Algiers say that Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika has taken the decision to reopen the closed border with Morocco, after the mediation by Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah that took place while he was recovering from surgery in Morocco.

Another source familiar with the issue of reopening the Moroccan-Algerian border said it was also influenced by internal calculations in Algeria. Most Algerian tourists went to Tunisia to spend their holidays, and as long as Tunisia is now in a transitional phase after the overthrow of the dictator Benali, the only other alternative tourist destination is Morocco due to its geographical proximity, in addition to the tough measures imposed by France and the other "Schengen"countries on the granting of visas to Algerians.

A tourism executive in Morocco said that Morocco could host an additional 1.5 to 2 million tourists from Algeria annually, and this could be a shot in the arm for tourism, and also revive a number of projects in the east of the country, which were damaged by the earlier decision to close the border.

On the other hand, observers do not exclude the importance of the visit by U.S. envoy to North Africa and the Middle East William Burns to the region last week that addressed the relationship between Morocco and Algeria, and the need for normalization between the two neighbours to confront the major challenges faced by both systems of governance from the outbreak of demonstrations calling for reform, led by young people in this region......”

We, Desert Detours, have just yesterday retuned from our second tour of Morocco this year and after visiting Casa, Rabat, Meknes, Fes etc can report absolutely nothing.......other than the normal warm and genuine welcome.

We were able to watch “Cafe TV” and were intrigued to see the news of marches and gatherings, but can qualify that by confirming that the reported coverage was greatly exaggerated i.e. numbers involved [500 involved, 15.000 reported]. The bank fire incident was not even connected [as reported] but was in another town some 400 miles away! Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Tourist are returning to Tunisia [we have another 4x4 group there at the moment] and Egypt already ........... Not that their interests were ever at risk........and no doubt attracted by the amazing prices being offered.
We are back in Morocco, with a Motorhome group, from Monday and will report if needed.

Ray

A

Addie

Deleted User
This young couple went to Tunisia last year (2010) in a Hymer A Class - their trip is documented here. I've linked to the 'start' of their trip, navigate using 'Next Entries' at the bottom right of the blog posts to go through their trip in detail which includes sites.

Link Removed

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
just spent xmas and part of new year in intensive care in tunisia !! shall not be going again frightening , never seen such a poor and run down country ! will not be going again and would not advise anyone to,specialy if there is likely to be a medical problem .

regards rayval :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
at the moment you must be either joking or one of the nutters on here:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.