maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Diesel is now down to 1.099 euros at Jumbo so now under a pound. All the campsites near us seem to have space Canelas having created a new area for some 20 motorhomes. More snowbirds though are turning up every day now. The weather has been good since last months thunderstorms but it is cooling down and more rain forecast in the next few days.

Deleted User
The have improved parts of the 125 though and more work starting in January

Not round my end of the Algarve they haven't.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the resumption of the works further West which were suspended for the Summer...........all the contractors have abandoned the project because they have not been paid so renegotiations are apparently under way.

Much as I love Portugal, organisation and governance are sadly lacking.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Not round my end of the Algarve they haven't.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the resumption of the works further West which were suspended for the Summer...........all the contractors have abandoned the project because they have not been paid so renegotiations are apparently under way.

Much as I love Portugal, organisation and governance are sadly lacking.
Hi.
And two of the reasons it is lacking ?
1. Took the growler around the village,get onto the top link,gave Rex dog his nightly biscuit,out comes Max,home from Lisbon for the weekend,Phil and a "Guarda Escolae" (In civvys). After much handshaking and mix and match porty speak,i was invited in for a SMALL drink. Despite my saying no,i ended up with half a pint of wine in a mug.
2. Went to import the Mo/ho.After visiting this and that office (About 6) and going to the British Consulate/Embassy? Lisbon. (Pass) Getting LHD headlights fitted, Taking it to an MOT station,where they tried to RIP the front wheels/suspensipon off,i was just about to throw the towel in,when i got all the paper work,it works for me,the less the better
Tea Bag.
PS. Lisbon seen from a Taxi to and from the station looks a super city,on the Must do list,is a 3-4 day break in Lisbon, just to have a good look around Boulevards and squares full of sculptures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Hi.
And two of the reasons it is lacking ?
1. Took the growler around the village,get onto the top link,gave Rex dog his nightly biscuit,out comes Max,home from Lisbon for the weekend,Phil and a "Guarda Escolae" (In civvys). After much handshaking and mix and match porty speak,i was invited in for a SMALL drink. Despite my saying no,i ended up with half a pint of wine in a mug.
2. Went to import the Mo/ho.After visiting this and that office (About 6) and going to the British Consulate/Embassy? Lisbon. (Pass) Getting LHD headlights fitted, Taking it to an MOT station,where they tried to RIP the front wheels/suspensipon off,i was just about to throw the towel in,when i got all the paper work,it works for me,the less the better
Tea Bag.
PS. Lisbon seen from a Taxi to and from the station looks a super city,on the Must do list,is a 3-4 day break in Lisbon, just to have a good look around Boulevards and squares full of sculptures.

My experience of Portuguese bureaucracy is limited but they certainly like the paperwork, strangely one of the easiest was to obtain a Portuguese Fiscal number which was easy after negotiating the ubiquitous but often complicated (in multi departmental buildings) numbered ticket system.

Opening a bank account was a different matter, indifferent bank workers, reams of paper to sign.......still love it here though:)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Diesel is now down to 1.099 euros at Jumbo so now under a pound. All the campsites near us seem to have space Canelas having created a new area for some 20 motorhomes. More snowbirds though are turning up every day now. The weather has been good since last months thunderstorms but it is cooling down and more rain forecast in the next few days.

What's Canelas like, as a campsite? I've googled and seen another site - Camping Praia de Armacao de Pera, which looks as though it's better located. I'd be interested to know how you think they compare, pls.

OP
OP
maxi77

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
What's Canelas like, as a campsite? I've googled and seen another site - Camping Praia de Armacao de Pera, which looks as though it's better located. I'd be interested to know how you think they compare, pls.

All depends what you like really we prefer Camping Armacao de Pera but that is partly down to knowing many of the fellow snowbirds. Canelas is further from town shops etc so does have problems for those who are not as mobile. At Canelas pitches tend to be well defined where as at Camping Armacao pitches are very much what is available and are as big or small as you want within reason Best thing is probably to spend a couple of days on both and go from there.

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
Hi All
I want to travel on the A22 but don't want to use a credit card.I am happy paying cash but am a bit confused on how to go about it.Any help would be appreciated.I am looking to stay on aires on The Algarve,any recommendations!!!

Deleted User
Hi All
I want to travel on the A22 but don't want to use a credit card.I am happy paying cash but am a bit confused on how to go about it.Any help would be appreciated.I am looking to stay on aires on The Algarve,any recommendations!!!

It is possible to pre pay online but you would still need to pay by card, as far as I know it is only possible to pay cash at certain places info on here:

Link Removed

under easy toll services:
BUY HERE

After purchasing the card, the driver shall proceed to its activation by sending an SMS by mobile phone with the code printed on the card and the license plate of the vehicle (instructions on the card), so that it is associated with the license plate of the vehicle. You can activate more than one card, with the accumulation of balances.

The driver can check the card balance HERE and when the card balance runs out, the customer will receive an alert SMS. The activated balances will be consumed depending on the use of highways with electronic toll collection only and for each journey it´s applied an administrative cost of 0.26€+VAT.

Each card is valid for one year after its activation.

A tollcard that is not activated or damaged can be returned in any CTT office and its purchasing cost will be refunded. The remaining credit can also be refunded if a credit card was used for the payment (as long this was ordered during the sign up), in a 6 month maximum period.

Buy it at CTT post-offices, at Portuguese highway´s service areas or at www.tollcard.pt

By far the simplest way is to use your card at one of the entry points such as Vila Real on the A22, easy and convenient.

There is no system for post payment.

Lots of Aires along the Algarve starting at Castro Marim, Vila Real, Manta Rota some free some have a small charge, if you do a search on here I am sure something will come up.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
"I know nothing,i from Barcelona"..... If you contact CTT,you can purchase and load a card online,i believe in weekly/monthly sections. You then print this off and you STICK IT? NO!:eek: place it,(y) on the dashboard of your vehicle,where it can be seen/read from the overhead gantries.
This was all done for me,when we first came over,so only know it worked for us (Not how)at the time. However,before swapping over to Porty plates,we used to pull into the Ticket card reader just over the border,coming from Cuidad Rodrigo,it is painless to pull up to the Toll Reader machine gantry get unit within the cameras limits,insert your cc take receipt and bingo,30 days? number plate recognition,we did that for 5 years,with various vehicles and it worked for us. The plus is,if you get pulled over,just wave the receipt and your on your way again .
The long winded way to pay,is to remember to check in a local post office,two days after and no longer than four days after passing under a gantry,as after five days,it costs more.... You can just blast away and not pay,you may never get caught,however,all the GNR vehicles can go onto a data base and if your unit flags up as having outstanding toll charges against it,you part with hard earned money..... Or walk.
There will be many more people who will come along to advise you better,but the above has worked for me since '09,and i am about to buy a "Tag" and so travel as we do in France,carrefour...oops Carefree!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
hi.
See,you did not have to wait for my long winded epistle.Well done Matamoros.... You did well at school no doubt?(y)
Tea Bag

OP
OP
maxi77

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Hi All
Link Removed

Will help, there is a cash card system. Mind you even when living here we found no great problem not jusing the A22

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
I am at the moment at a parking N 37.100410 W 8.354330 in Armacao de Pera next to the beach, excellent position (water, empty cassette, and toilet) €1.50 per day. Campercontact site code: 42047.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I drove the A22 with out registrating credit card, couldn't find how to pay after that, even not in the post office as they can take payment only for Portuguese number plate.
Been told by two peoples that spending most of the year in Portugal with MH, not to worry as the Portuguese system don't chase foreigner number plates (one even said the Easytoll system can only read numbers so can't read UK number plated).
Hope they are right!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We never use the toll motorways but always register, just in case. Knowing my luck I'll find myself having to use one and there will be some officious policeman looking for an easy mark and it'll be me he picks! Was told once that they can also fine you if you haven't registered, don't know how true that is.

Deleted User
Hi.
"I know nothing,i from Barcelona"..... If you contact CTT,you can purchase and load a card online,i believe in weekly/monthly sections. You then print this off and you STICK IT? NO!:eek: place it,(y) on the dashboard of your vehicle,where it can be seen/read from the overhead gantries.
This was all done for me,when we first came over,so only know it worked for us (Not how)at the time. However,before swapping over to Porty plates,we used to pull into the Ticket card reader just over the border,coming from Cuidad Rodrigo,it is painless to pull up to the Toll Reader machine gantry get unit within the cameras limits,insert your cc take receipt and bingo,30 days? number plate recognition,we did that for 5 years,with various vehicles and it worked for us. The plus is,if you get pulled over,just wave the receipt and your on your way again .
The long winded way to pay,is to remember to check in a local post office,two days after and no longer than four days after passing under a gantry,as after five days,it costs more.... You can just blast away and not pay,you may never get caught,however,all the GNR vehicles can go onto a data base and if your unit flags up as having outstanding toll charges against it,you part with hard earned money..... Or walk.
There will be many more people who will come along to advise you better,but the above has worked for me since '09,and i am about to buy a "Tag" and so travel as we do in France,carrefour...oops Carefree!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Tea Bag

The system has changed since it was first introduced, it is no longer possible for foreign registered vehicles to pay afterwards:

"CAN FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLES USE THE POST-PAYMENT SYSTEM (PAYMENT AFTER USING THE MOTORWAY)?

No."

No need to print off stickers anymore you can simply register your registration number online or the easiest way, as you say, is at the border crossing using the machine.

Agree with you about the GNR and other agencies have full access to records from when the system began.......I know from experience:)

Deleted User
We never use the toll motorways but always register, just in case. Knowing my luck I'll find myself having to use one and there will be some officious policeman looking for an easy mark and it'll be me he picks! Was told once that they can also fine you if you haven't registered, don't know how true that is.

Not unless you are using one of the electronic toll motorways, there is now a sign approaching the automatic registration point near Vila Real de Santo Antonio onto the A22 informing foreign vehicles that there is no need to register if they leave at either of the first 2 exits (17 & 18).

This was because of large queues forming in the summer.

Deleted User
I drove the A22 with out registrating credit card, couldn't find how to pay after that, even not in the post office as they can take payment only for Portuguese number plate.
Been told by two peoples that spending most of the year in Portugal with MH, not to worry as the Portuguese system don't chase foreigner number plates (one even said the Easytoll system can only read numbers so can't read UK number plated).
Hope they are right!

Please look at my reply above.They may not chase you back in the UK but they do keep records and if you get pulled in Portugal they will fine you. Very small chance perhaps but the possibility is there.

Reactions: JJ

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Hope they are right!

I asked at the crossing point about what I needed to do and was told they just had to register a card against a licence plate. So it's upto them to ask for your the money. I have been over hear form last month and nothing has come off my card and I use the main roads nearly all the time. It's quite simple to register at the crossing point. If your not sure what to do press the information button at the crossing point. They speak English better than most of us.

OP
OP
maxi77

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The system has changed since it was first introduced, it is no longer possible for foreign registered vehicles to pay afterwards:

"CAN FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLES USE THE POST-PAYMENT SYSTEM (PAYMENT AFTER USING THE MOTORWAY)?

No."

No need to print off stickers anymore you can simply register your registration number online or the easiest way, as you say, is at the border crossing using the machine.

Agree with you about the GNR and other agencies have full access to records from when the system began.......I know from experience:)
Foreign vehicles could never use the post use pay system, in fact when it started they couldn't pay at all until they sorted out the machines.

Deleted User
Foreign vehicles could never use the post use pay system, in fact when it started they couldn't pay at all until they sorted out the machines.

You are probably correct in that but the system was so shambolic when it was first introduced that the instructions that were given was to do just that. Many people attempted to pay at post offices and many gave up but i cannot say for sure whether it was possible or not because as soon as the system was introduced I bought and pre loaded a transponder from the autoroute services on the A22 at Olhao.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Hi All

I travel from my house near Seville to Faro fairly regular, I don't use he machine at the border, just drive to first services, go to he till, pay, job done.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
You are probably correct in that but the system was so shambolic when it was first introduced that the instructions that were given was to do just that. Many people attempted to pay at post offices and many gave up but i cannot say for sure whether it was possible or not because as soon as the system was introduced I bought and pre loaded a transponder from the autoroute services on the A22 at Olhao.
Hi.
As above post. When we first used the "check in Gantry" where they photograph your vehicles number plate and scan your credit card,no money came off,it was only about 6 months later,when it had expired,i was checking it prior to burning it,and there was a letter and a number missing......Me 1 Gantry 0. This happened a second time,with the same vehicle,so i got in touch with their admin by e-mail telling them about the mistake this time and the correct number.................. Nothing was taken off the card. Being as that vehicle has gone,i have done my bit,however,now i have imported the m/ho and bought a Porty car,i am truly on the Radar. I have had one sin with the car,missed a turn did a flip flop and went off,never thought about it,letter came,i could pay the Toll within X days,or then the Carges would go up,very civilised.
So,its a bit like speeding,you take your chances,or don't speed and pay your dues,if you get caught,and you are a betting man,divide the times you have sinned,into the amount you have paid in fines....
Tea Bag

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks all.
I crossed to Portugal from North-West Spain and didn't noticed a station to registere the credit card. Will have to wait and see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back