Aldi Slide/Negative/Photo Scanner under £60

Discussion in 'Photography' started by magicsurfbus, Dec 15, 2013.

1. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

From today (15 Dec) at Aldi, a multi-item scanner with 5.1 Mpixel resolution and three year warranty.

That said, it's worth experimenting with negative scanning on a normal scanner in a well-lit room (preferably daylight) with the lid left up and a piece of plain paper placed on top of the negative to diffuse the back lighting. It's worked perfectly well for me with old glass photographic plates.

2. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Maybe. In fact for the same price as the scanner you could buy three helicopters, then, providing you have Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' on CD, you could re-enact classic scenes from 'Apocalypse Now' in the comfort of your own front room.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Wildge

Wildge Funster

:thumb: And also umpteen boxes of their Moser Roth chocolates :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Made I am reliably informed by a certain well known (prickly) manufacturer in the East Midlands.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. makems

makems Funster Life Member

I bought one earlier this week as they had them reduced to £19.99!

Took it back yesterday as it was distinctly underwhelming and not a patch on my old HP Photosmart S20 scanner which is about 13 years old.

My main beef is that the slide holder isn't motorised so you have to manually feed the negatives through frame by frame which is so tedious. The HP has a motor which will "Suck in" a negative strip and scan all of the frames in one pass.

I also found that the quality of the resulting scan was noticeably better on the HP. Presumably due to better optics and software processing.

Full marks to Aldi though for their no-quibble returns policy.

Edit - just checked and the HP has 7.7Mpixels but produces produces a 25MB file from a 35mm negative!

Apparently pixels aren't the be-all and end-all when it comes to film scanners as each pixel produces an output on each of the red/blue/green channels. Digital cameras by contrast only output one channel or the other from each pixel ie 1/3 of the data produced from the same number of pixels.

I didn't know that!

Not bad for 1999 technology.

7. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I bet the Photosmart didn't cost £19.99 though :Smile:

I have one of these little scanners that I've been trying to give away for ages!

If you are just scanning family snaps, they are great; better than the originals, as the files can then be manipulated - enlarged, cropped, colour-compensated, retouched.

Well worth tewnty quid to get rid of all your old slides, negatives and prints :thumb:

8. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Yes Ive had one in the past Graham - just thought it looked far more appealing than kit for transferring slides doh :Sad:

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Aldi's slide scanners have been around 5 Mpixels for at least two years - it's like the technology isn't advancing, or Aldi don't want to up their price. I merely posted the link in case someone wanted one.

I scanned a 7" x 5" antique glass plate at 1200dpi on my old A4 Canoscan flatbed using the technique described in my OP, and was delighted with the results - the detail on the image is wonderful. I've even made a Blue Peter style backlighting box out of an old LED torch and some cardboard and tissue paper, and that works too. Haven't tried it with 35mm negatives yet but I see no reason why it should fail in principle.

10. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Actually I did!

I got it used from eBay for £20 about 6 years ago. You still see them from time to time on eBay. Of course when new they were quite expensive - about £300 I think. I just had a google and there are people selling them NEW in the US for $799!

I thought I would try the Aldi scanner as I thought that the technology would have moved on since 1999 when the Photosmart was released.

If you haven't got many negs to scan the Aldi scanner is a decent buy and good value for money. But if you've got lots to scan the process might drive you nuts.

11. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

pm sent:Smile:

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

13. Debs

Debs Funster

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

hee hee, never mind I found the thread I tended to post it on.