Aldi Slide/Negative/Photo Scanner under £60 (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
From today (15 Dec) at Aldi, a . with 5.1 Mpixel resolution and three year warranty.

That said, it's worth experimenting with negative scanning on a normal scanner in a well-lit room (preferably daylight) with the lid left up and a piece of plain paper placed on top of the negative to diffuse the back lighting. It's worked perfectly well for me with old glass photographic plates.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Think Id get more enjoyment out of one of their other offers :ROFLMAO:

Maybe. In fact for the same price as the scanner you could buy three helicopters, then, providing you have Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' on CD, you could re-enact classic scenes from 'Apocalypse Now' in the comfort of your own front room.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Maybe. In fact for the same price as the scanner you could buy three helicopters, then, providing you have Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' on CD, you could re-enact classic scenes from 'Apocalypse Now' in the comfort of your own front room.

:thumb: And also umpteen boxes of their Moser Roth chocolates ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Made I am reliably informed by a certain well known (prickly) manufacturer in the East Midlands.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
From today (15 Dec) at Aldi, a . with 5.1 Mpixel resolution and three year warranty.

I bought one earlier this week as they had them reduced to £19.99!

Took it back yesterday as it was distinctly underwhelming and not a patch on my old HP Photosmart S20 scanner which is about 13 years old.

My main beef is that the slide holder isn't motorised so you have to manually feed the negatives through frame by frame which is so tedious. The HP has a motor which will "Suck in" a negative strip and scan all of the frames in one pass.

I also found that the quality of the resulting scan was noticeably better on the HP. Presumably due to better optics and software processing.

Full marks to Aldi though for their no-quibble returns policy.

Edit - just checked and the HP has 7.7Mpixels but produces produces a 25MB file from a 35mm negative!

Apparently pixels aren't the be-all and end-all when it comes to film scanners as each pixel produces an output on each of the red/blue/green channels. Digital cameras by contrast only output one channel or the other from each pixel ie 1/3 of the data produced from the same number of pixels.

I didn't know that!

Not bad for 1999 technology.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

Took it back yesterday as it was distinctly underwhelming and not a patch on my old HP Photosmart S20 scanner which is about 13 years old.

I bet the Photosmart didn't cost £19.99 though :Smile:

I have one of these little scanners that I've been trying to give away for ages!

If you are just scanning family snaps, they are great; better than the originals, as the files can then be manipulated - enlarged, cropped, colour-compensated, retouched.

Well worth tewnty quid to get rid of all your old slides, negatives and prints :thumb:

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Aldi's slide scanners have been around 5 Mpixels for at least two years - it's like the technology isn't advancing, or Aldi don't want to up their price. I merely posted the link in case someone wanted one.

I scanned a 7" x 5" antique glass plate at 1200dpi on my old A4 Canoscan flatbed using the technique described in my OP, and was delighted with the results - the detail on the image is wonderful. I've even made a Blue Peter style backlighting box out of an old LED torch and some cardboard and tissue paper, and that works too. Haven't tried it with 35mm negatives yet but I see no reason why it should fail in principle.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

:thumb:

Actually I did!

I got it used from eBay for £20 about 6 years ago. You still see them from time to time on eBay. Of course when new they were quite expensive - about £300 I think. I just had a google and there are people selling them NEW in the US for $799!

I thought I would try the Aldi scanner as I thought that the technology would have moved on since 1999 when the Photosmart was released.

If you haven't got many negs to scan the Aldi scanner is a decent buy and good value for money. But if you've got lots to scan the process might drive you nuts.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

I have one of these little scanners that I've been trying to give away for ages!

If you are just scanning family snaps, they are great; better than the originals, as the files can then be manipulated - enlarged, cropped, colour-compensated, retouched.

Well worth tewnty quid to get rid of all your old slides, negatives and prints :thumb:

pm sent:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back