Aldi Ski Gear in on Thursday! (1 Viewer)

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Yes it seems to be the first Thursday in December usually doesn't it. Figured it would be next week.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I was quite impressed with their new pro range last year. Apparently it is 10k waterproof and breathable.
I find my old jacket a bit heavy by modern standards so might give an Aldi one a try. I have had an Aldi one in the past and it was absolutely fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I am a believer in the buy cheap buy twice maxim. I prefer Sportpursuit.com

Surely a branded jacket at 10 times the price, made in a similar Chinese factory, will not last 10 times longer?
Besides, most are unfashionable within 5 years these days!
What about growing kids?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Interesting perspective. Every time I've been tempted by Sportspursuit items, I've found cheaper prices elsewhere.

Aldi stuff may be cheap but a lot of it is very good value and good enough not to need paying twice.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
On recommendations by regular skiers who buy Aldi stuff and cant recommend it enough as good value and fit for the job I will be getting sum of there gear .
bill

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

The jacket is fine I think its their better range but still cheap. Also bought a lot of kitchen stuff cheap and good quality. I don't think cheap and por quality always go toghther neither does expensive and good!!!.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I've got/have had both. I prefer my expensive kit but don't rule out TK max they have great deals on more classy jackets at a bargain price.
Aldi stuff ain't all ways the best

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've got/have had both. I prefer my expensive kit but don't rule out TK max they have great deals on more classy jackets at a bargain price.
Aldi stuff ain't all ways the best

The last time I went into TK Max I was staggered by how much of a con they were trying to pull. Their MRRPs were grossly inflated and the "sale" prices were just as much as normal prices elsewhere.

I asked to buy a bike light set that was reduced from £18 to £9 because the front light was missing. I told the cashier / manager that I could buy the whole set for £10 elsewhere but would pay £5 for the incomplete set (I really just wanted the handlebar mount) . They declined, saying that someone would buy it for £9.

They do have some good deals but not as many as they would have you believe.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Yes it's like anything...you have to sort the wheat from the chaff

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wonder how many top of the range clothes have been brought only for people to gain weight and the items hang in a wardrobe never worn again. If it was a cheaper range not so much lost, or another size could be brought.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wonder how many top of the range clothes have been brought only for people to gain weight and the items hang in a wardrobe never worn again. If it was a cheaper range not so much lost, or another size could be brought.

I've got some friends that buy top of the range cycling stuff and have to replace it because they have lost weight. Even though I tend to wear Aldi cycling gear, I'm still faster than them in thir expensive gear ;)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Surely a branded jacket at 10 times the price, made in a similar Chinese factory, will not last 10 times longer?
Besides, most are unfashionable within 5 years these days!
What about growing kids?

My initial comment was actually based on the £7.99 goggles - the headliner on the Aldi site. Over the last thirty plus years I have seen a lot of folk buy cheap goggles and then wondered why they fogged up all the time rendering them useless. Now I wouldn't spend £300 on a set of Oakleys but I would spend £40-£80 on a half price pair of Smiths, Cebe, Anon etc. My current Smith goggles are twelve years old so have done at least 30 weeks skiing, they cost £50 in a half price sale in one of the clearance shops on the way in to Bourg.

The clothing side doesn't really affect me as I work in the outdoor industry and get trade prices (1/2) on Berghaus, ME, Rab etc - in fact the only one I can't get is Rohan which is annoying as that's what I like most!

But what I would say on the clothing front is two things:
  • Where it is put together is important to me, it may be in the far east but does the factory have ethical standards in place? The brands I use do, I doubt if the Aldi ones do.
  • When putting technical clothing together it is the fabric used that determines how the clothing performs, I would place a degree of scepticism on the claims made for the "Pro" range, on the other hand Goretex and eVent are independently tested. I also know through using the kit it works.
Don't get me wrong, I haven't always been a gear snob - I've used the kit from Millets and the Army Surplus stores, but I have learned over time that you do get what you pay for.

And as to things going out of fashion, I kill my kit out well before five years is up, good ski clothing should be suitable for general wear in the hills and dog walking, not for a couple of weeks a year on the slopes.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My initial comment was actually based on the £7.99 goggles - the headliner on the Aldi site. Over the last thirty plus years I have seen a lot of folk buy cheap goggles and then wondered why they fogged up all the time rendering them useless. Now I wouldn't spend £300 on a set of Oakleys but I would spend £40-£80 on a half price pair of Smiths, Cebe, Anon etc. My current Smith goggles are twelve years old so have done at least 30 weeks skiing, they cost £50 in a half price sale in one of the clearance shops on the way in to Bourg.

The clothing side doesn't really affect me as I work in the outdoor industry and get trade prices (1/2) on Berghaus, ME, Rab etc - in fact the only one I can't get is Rohan which is annoying as that's what I like most!

But what I would say on the clothing front is two things:
  • Where it is put together is important to me, it may be in the far east but does the factory have ethical standards in place? The brands I use do, I doubt if the Aldi ones do.
  • When putting technical clothing together it is the fabric used that determines how the clothing performs, I would place a degree of scepticism on the claims made for the "Pro" range, on the other hand Goretex and eVent are independently tested. I also know through using the kit it works.
Don't get me wrong, I haven't always been a gear snob - I've used the kit from Millets and the Army Surplus stores, but I have learned over time that you do get what you pay for.

And as to things going out of fashion, I kill my kit out well before five years is up, good ski clothing should be suitable for general wear in the hills and dog walking, not for a couple of weeks a year on the slopes.

You are right, it all depends on frequency of use. I wish that I would wear out ski equipment but that won't happen for a long time.

As for being a gear snob, I like quality outdoor stuff and have Berghaus, Rab and non-fashion equipment from North Face but also wear Regatta - their soft-shell trousers and jackets are a 1/3 of the price of other makes and it works well enough for me. Also, I don't get too upset when I get another scorch mark from camp fire embers.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Registering with Sportpursuit.com was the worst thing I have done.
I only wanted to browse the prices, but no, all I get now is constant junk in the inbox from both Sportpursuit.com and job persuit.com.
They are going straight to spam now.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Registering with Sportpursuit.com was the worst thing I have done.
I only wanted to browse the prices, but no, all I get now is constant junk in the inbox from both Sportpursuit.com and job persuit.com.
They are going straight to spam now.
Or alternatively you could use the email preferences setting to only get information about skiing sales and on a weekly basis rather than daily.
Cannot comment on job.pursuit as I never getting any emails from them - presume there is an unsubscribe option rather than fill your spam folder?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the wife went to Aldai today apparently been and gone :crying1:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I was there at 08:45, 15:30 and 19:30 - the stock went down considerably. Apparently, there was a whole school group of skiers waiting at 08:00 to get stuff for their trip.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I went for a usual shop today, around 10.30am in Alverthorpe , Wakefield . Loads of ski stuff . I had a look , and bought a snood for our Isaac to keep his neck n face warm at work. There was only me in the ski section and it was very tidy , as though no one had looked at it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back