Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
HD receiver is pointless unless you have an HD TV

yes, all tuning is done using the receivers menu's and remote control and the TV screen to see progress

Thanks the tv i use in mh says HD READY on it and i have hdmi lead does the word ready make a diffrence ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
getting into the van is simple.... put it through the cab doorway at step level, the big rubber door seal prevents damage and at the bottom it wont leak in rainy situations. for quick connect disconnect, fit an f-plug to push fit adapter to the cable end. this saves fiddling about unscrewing the plug when you want to move the van

we always travel with a box trailer for the scooter, so set the dish and tripod up next to it once and lock in place. that way, when we go out for the day, its a case of just plugging back in to be set up on return. SWNBO loves corrie etc, so we normally get back just in time and within 5minutes, tv is on and tuned to watch

my advice is choose quality parts, like the triax dish with the folding lnb arm... much easier to transport (about £30). Also go for a speaker stand tripod to allow for more height in dificult areas (about £20). the higher you mount a dish the better the reception as a general rule, as you need to be 3x the distance away from an obstruction like a tree as the obstruction is tall. raising the dish effectively reduces the height of the obstruction

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks the tv i use in mh says HD READY on it and i have hdmi lead does the word ready make a diffrence ?

If the TV has an HDMI socket and says HD ready it will be ok with an HD receiver.:thumb:

If I remember correctly HD ready will give you 720p, as opposed to full HD at 1080, but will still be much better than SD.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
If the TV has an HDMI socket and says HD ready it will be ok with an HD receiver.:thumb:

If I remember correctly HD ready will give you 720p, as opposed to full HD at 1080, but will still be much better than SD.

Thanks you have reminded me i use a 19" 1080p tv as a monitor for my main pc is there a big difference in quality to my other hd ready one if so i can use it instead in my mh ?:thumb:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry.. been a tad busy tonight.. But as said, you may as well go for a cheaper one as they are basically all the same apart from variations in the firmware..
Yes, there are some slightly better than others but in reality unless you take one apart ( !!! ) its unlikely you will notice any difference :thumb:

Lots of cheap tripods around.. Some bugger stole my posh one shortly after we bought it.

We bought a rotary washing line thing for £9 and took all the string out..then used it upside down :thumb: Might seem a bit OTT but in gale force winds when others were blowing down ours never ever moved !

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Sorry.. been a tad busy tonight.. But as said, you may as well go for a cheaper one as they are basically all the same apart from variations in the firmware..
Yes, there are some slightly better than others but in reality unless you take one apart ( !!! ) its unlikely you will notice any difference :thumb:

Lots of cheap tripods around.. Some bugger stole my posh one shortly after we bought it.

We bought a rotary washing line thing for £9 and took all the string out..then used it upside down :thumb: Might seem a bit OTT but in gale force winds when others were blowing down ours never ever moved !

Great improvisation with the rotary line there i like it lol does the dish come with clamps to fit to tripod ? if not will u type as for fixing normal tv arials suit them ?
The Aldi kit is SD so i will look for a cheap HD set up instead. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
not all dishes come with a U bolt to attach to the tripod, but they are easily and cheaply available. the ones that dont, generally have a swivel bracket system and arm attached for fixing to a wall. even a cheap SKY dish at about £10 has the facility to mount to a pole or tripod. they do not include the U bolt though

the Aldi 12v portable system in a box (about £50) includes a very small dish with lightweight hardware to pole mount. these work, but from experience take more time to lock onto the satellite. The recent mains systems (£29) are not sold as portable or for caravan use. therefore the dish and mounts are for wall fitting, possibly using a thin bent alluminium tube

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I did that as well. Cut about a foot of each arm (leg) so it didn't spread out so wide. I did find, though, that I had to drill through the collar/upright and insert a nail to prevent lateral movement.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I did that as well. Cut about a foot of each arm (leg) so it didn't spread out so wide. I did find, though, that I had to drill through the collar/upright and insert a nail to prevent lateral movement.

Well I must have had a posh one as I already had the hole predrilled for me !! ::bigsmile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Great improvisation with the rotary line there i like it lol does the dish come with clamps to fit to tripod ? if not will u type as for fixing normal tv arials suit them ?
The Aldi kit is SD so i will look for a cheap HD set up instead. :thumb:

Try B&Q they have had some good deals on recently

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have a old type of --erect a aerial on a mast that clamps to the roof ladder.
I often find that camp sites are in valleys and near trees and i cannot get a signal.
I notice there are mobile sat dishes used,
i have just tried the Aldi web page and" it says no longer used"
I don`t want to spend £000,s on a roof top motorized job, so would a B andQ type work ok with this ?
Link Removed

thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a old type of --erect a aerial on a mast that clamps to the roof ladder.
I often find that camp sites are in valleys and near trees and i cannot get a signal.
I notice there are mobile sat dishes used,
i have just tried the Aldi web page and" it says no longer used"
I don`t want to spend £000,s on a roof top motorized job, so would a B andQ type work ok with this ?
Link Removed

thanks

with that tv you just need the dish (and tripod), as the decoder box is built in

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If i want a (cheap) motorized sat dish and bolt it on my roof rails which are lower than the rest of the roof--would this work?Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If i want a (cheap) motorized sat dish and bolt it on my roof rails which are lower than the rest of the roof--would this work?Link Removed

not if you want to drive around with the dish fixed to the roof. the aerodynamic forces exerted on a fixed upright dish would soon damage it and its mounting points. thats one reason the properly designed mobile dishes to mount on your van roof either fold down automatically as you start the engine or are enclosed in an acrylic dome. plus you will need to set the dish up every time to give it a fixed point in the sky to work from. Motorised does not mean automatic

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Went into Aldis this morning and bought a Ross satellite kit in HD and 3D receiver mini unit tuner, different types of mounting brackets, sat finder and compass 12m lead and flat F lead, hdmi lead, connectors, remote control, easy to understand booklets all in a blow moulded case . At £59.99 seems a good deal ?

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
where you get EPG showing now and next, I found if you press 1 it gives a full list for 2 or 3 days. hope this helps.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
It also has a usb port says it plays avi mp4 mp3 and others !

I have not set it up to try it yet but Jaygee32 or anyone can you tell me will it play films in avi that i download onto my usb stick ?? :thumb:

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
Sorry Autoswan, cant help there mine hasn't got a usb port. it's Comag model from Maplins, but I think Aldis or Lidl had a similar one for sale last year, (cheaper too) We're pleased with ours, we set it up at home first, liked what we saw, so it's stayed there on a pole in the garden. I tuned it into the Astra 19E. news progs are good so is Eurosport. love to watch the bike and car racing and golf, the commentary is in german but it doesn't spoil it. We don't have sky,too expensive, but I stream it through my pc onto the TV. so can watch G/prix, Speedway,Rugby for free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back