Aldi SD Satellite kit

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by autoswan, Jun 12, 2012.

1. autoswan

autoswan Funster

I`m thinking of going to see if any are left they`ve been on offer since last Thurs has anyone got one or know if they`re any good ?

At £29.99 Ross make, includes dish size not shown ? will need tripod ?
    Tuner 220 channels + 100 radio, stores upto 4000 programmes, remote control with zoom function ? option to recieve 1000`s of foreing channels so would expect it to pick up uk from all over eu ? no monthly fees 10m of co-ax cable .

After last couple of trips west swmbo missed tv when raining as roof fitted mini flying saucer was no use. This is cheap if it does the job and im not keen spending £100`s on a fancy system just for us to watch the c**p they mostly put on the box when we will hopefully be out and about not stuck in the mh when away but it be handy to have when wanted. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome Read Only Funster

brought one the other week used it at chatsworth it worked a treat placed it on motorhome roof with sucker no probs last time i went i couldnt get a picture with my aerial only thing was it was eurovision night well done englebert NOT

acually mine was a hd one and cost me 60 quid dont know if it was the same one dont think it was if it is i was ripped off

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

fiddly to set up due to small dish size....but you will soon get the hang of it and get faster.

the receiver will be a low quality one at that price so dont expect too many bells and whistles....EPG may just be 'now and next' format and no daily listings.

don't expect UK TV all over western Europe...it aint going to happen due to small dish size again.

northern/central France will/should be OK but it may struggle further south and in the northern reaches of Scotland

of course, in France/Germany etc you will also receive all the 'local' foreign programming as the specific country sat beam will be aimed at those countries

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I have replied to many of these posts about the cheap little sat kits and never changed my mind yet
    They all seem to work and do what they say on the tin:thumb:

But unless you have the patience of Jobe and the will to beat it, it will have you cursing.

These gadgets have beaten many Men many times

Then along comes a seasoned user and says" let me show you how"

Eureeka
    You can now set up and be watching Corrie in under 5 mins at worst
    Till you are shown it may take an eternity and many are returned to the likes of Aldi and Maplins, tested and passed OK, then offered as B Grades at reduced cost
    Nothing wrong with the Kit, Just Plain Simple Pilot Error
    Best advise I cn give is get someone to show you how before giving up
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  5. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Thanks guys it looks like a cheapy with limited function but if it does the job then great, as time passes and i learn more maybe i will upgrade

A silly question but can the dish be made more effective by putting a larger bright chrome/foil metalic dish close behind it ?

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I've put the £60 Aldi HD version on my conservatory roof and linked the tuner to my PC and am picking up nothing like 300+ channels. It may be a line of sight issue, but it could also be due to the small dish size. Don't expect miracles. Our local B&Q had a similar HD kit knocked down to £40.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you want a 12v system be careful as Aldi sell two different kits. I think the 12v one was on offer a few weeks ago and the current one may be mains only.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Used one of the small dish Aldi specials for several years before I had the autosystem installed, and number one son still uses one to this day

The biggest problem I have is sorting through the 300 to 400 channels to find the brit ones !! ( and yep, used it with great success right down to Italy )

9. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Good point. Does the 12v come with a cig lighter plug in type fitting ?
    When using off ehu i would prob use my 300w inverter so will check its wattage + tv.
    Should it be ok to use double plug to plug into one inverter iff items used both come under the 300w max ?

10. pappajohn

you can put Joderell bank behind it and it wont make any difference. :Laughing:

the LNB is set at the correct distance from the dish so it 'see's' the whole of the dish and nothing more.

and radio waves are not reflected by shiny things any better than dull solid things..... hence sat dish's are generally matt black or white/off white

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

if it comes as 12v and 230v then just use the 12v option...even on hookup.

inverters use more power than they give out due to inefficiency losses.
    around 10% of what the inverter draws from the battery is lost as heat while its being inverted to 230v.

• Like Like x 1
  12. autoswan

autoswan Funster

HAHA i new it was a silly Q. As i pressed submit reply doh ! :Blush:
    Its just that i use a foil backing behind my wireless router which defenitly boosts the signal to my laptop which is away from it by quite some distance. Which is obviously sending not recieving a signal .

13. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

Do you really need satellite TV now that Freeview has been turned up to full power?

14. autoswan

autoswan Funster

The last couple of times away west there was no signal from either the roof mounted mini flying saucer arial or my indoor digital arial with built in booster absolute zilch ! but i notice more and more people around me all have big nasa type set ups !
    When was it turned up ?

15. pappajohn

with a 'flying saucer' aerial on the roof its a definite yes. :Wink:

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It does have the cig lighter plug. We use that all the time.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not in all areas yet. I think we (Tyne Tees) are last in September.

18. keith

keith Funster

I have just set one of these up & got over 300 channels, but not channel 5s. The software seems to be an old version and needs to be searched a lot more than the factory setting.

You need to search for new transponders to get all the channels, which I did and got all the 5s channels. Do make sure there are no obstructions shielding the satellite, and remember the satellite is lower in the sky the further North you are.

The dish is now a mesh one (which makes it lighter) which I have never seen from Ross before and is no problem to receive all over the UK.

The best advice I have seen on this thread is from Geo. Get help and PRACTICE, but before you go anywhere, there's nothing worse than trying in the middle of a camp site with all the so called "experts" watching you. :Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Or do a JJ and wait for muggins ( me ! ) to turn up to set it up for you !! LOL !!

20. autoswan

autoswan Funster

After all the intresting info from you guys i am going to look into it a bit deeper before commiting to one even though the Aldi`s one is at a cheap price .
    Will look on Amazon, Maplins, Fleabay,Argos, B&Q and anywhere you guys recommend i dont mind spending up to around the £100 mark for a decent starter kit for now. Do you use a satellte direction finder or are they built in ?