Aldi jump starter

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pappajohn, Feb 3, 2015.

1. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Possibly useful for portable 12v power but not going to help much with big current draw requirements such as jump-starting a 2.5 litre diesel or more - unless I am wrong.

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Huh I could use one of those :whistle2:

4. davanne

davanne Funster

I bought one last year when they were in Aldi and it has been used a couple of times to start my motorhome a ford 2.2 engine when the battery was flat. Started it no problem and used the compressor to pump up the air suspension. Handy to carry for emergencies .

5. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I've had two of these from Aldi in the past. Neither of them worked. I did all the farting about taking them back with a receipt but never managed to get any use out of them. maybe it's just me... yeah, probably.

6. Mattyjwr

The one that I have looks like this physical size but cannot jump start a flat battery for my 2.5 litre diesel camper - the best that it will do is give the battery enough power to allow it to start charging from my 240v battery charger. The ones that I have seen that are designed for larger batteries are at least twice this Aldi price ... Such as this one

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...ttery-chargers-engine-starters-2/brand/clarke

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought one a few years ago which went wrong within the guarantee period. Aldi, to their credit, had it collected and replaced it with a new one sent from Germany. Never got much use from it though so didn't replace the second one when that also went wrong :)

EDT - I bought the Aldi one after rejecting one from Halfords which was dearer and total rubbish :)

8. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I like the Price Cut. Save over £6. Wow their generosity is beyond belief.
    :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  9. markh

markh

I have a lightweight one like the Aldi one and it won't start my Transit when the battery is flat, never flattened the battery on my Ducato, but doubt if it would start that either

• Like Like x 1
  10. busby

busby Funster

If at home i would jump start my van from my car,,,if on site ask a neighbour or ring break down...BUSBY.

11. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I've always wondered would those things work on a larger engine. In fact I can't imagine how they do work at all.

What I do is carry 2 sets of jump starter leads, with the idea of joining them together with the crocodile clips and connecting the 220 amp/hr leisure batteries to the van battery. In an emergency only, of course. Never tried it, though.

12. Mattyjwr

Unfortunately, while they are useful, they do need to be looked after re charging every x no. of weeks / months as they discharge. Many reviewers have commented that they have ended up with devices that only hold their charge for 24 hours. Mine no longer charges and I am not sure that I would bother with a replacement unless I can find one at a good price that would start 2.5-3 litre diesel engines.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I wouldn't waste my money..

if you don't have already, rather spend it on a set of commercial jump leads.. not those skinny ones from Halfords.. proper commercial ones with heavy clamps and thick cable..

14. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

The reason I would buy 1 of these is if I thought I had a dodgy battery, but considering the use I would get out of it, I would probably replace the dodgy battery with a new one first.
    My reasoning: the booster charger would have to be on charge most of the time to keep it topped up in case of an emergency, at Home. No use if I'm out and about. Also the 1 we had before when we did want to use it it was corroded and didn't work. Unless you have a fleet or a number of motors that have dodgy batteries. they turn out to be expensive dust collectors.

15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have taken this advice and bought these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121247984426?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Long enough to reach my leisure batteries and hopefully man enough to do the job

Hopefully now will never need them (y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

I have one very similar and its been used to start a V8 Landrover, a 4ltr V8 Lexus and a diesel 2.5ltr campervan Also the ciggy socket allows me to check certain 12v devices without having to hump them outdoors to use the cars ciggie lighter

17. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I have one of the previous versions from Aldi and it works well, its jumped my Iveco to start before now and a big VW toerag diesel which was totally dead. I use the compressor for adjusting tyre pressures on the race car and it works well.

D.

18. busby

busby Funster

My leisure battery is under the bonnet so i can do it with one set of jump leads. BUSBY.

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Mixed views.......

Just thought i would bring it to folks attention.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

No complaints about that, thanks!