LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
if you check out prices on e bay you can buy the bits(kit) to install the solar yourself. If you cant do it yourself or find a friend to do it then yes you will pay more(y)
...and I'm sure if you buy the individual components of a generator, it will cost less than the Aldi one - apples & pears, comparing a fully finished product against a kit :rolleyes:.
Just sayin'.
:D

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Go solar there are enough threads on here to help you im sure if you start a thread you will get a lot of help . i use my hair dryer straightners two tvs well anything really in moderation with your capacity of the inverter you get . We have a 1300wat :) our old genni stays at home incase we get a powercut .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
...and I'm sure if you buy the individual components of a generator, it will cost less than the Aldi one - apples & pears, comparing a fully finished product against a kit :rolleyes:.
Just sayin'.
:D

I'm sure it would but I haven't seen many instructions to build one, let alone a list of parts, unless that is , you know better;)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I think it's a Honda copy. Probably 4 stroke but best to check first. Without doubt if it is 4 stroke it is stunning value for money apart from compared to the Honda it is a bit noisier.
The real question is would you use it?
My Honda 2kw unit has only used a tank of fuel in the 5 years I've had it! Solar and inverter is both silent and takes no heavy carting around.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm sure it would but I haven't seen many instructions to build one, let alone a list of parts, unless that is , you know better;)
I suppose the question really is;
I need/want a Genny - is the Aldi one decent VFM?

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Go solar there are enough threads on here to help you im sure if you start a thread you will get a lot of help . i use my hair dryer straightners two tvs well anything really in moderation with your capacity of the inverter you get . We have a 1300wat :) our old genni stays at home incase we get a powercut .

Thanks. That may well the route we have to go down. I'm sure I could pick up all the bits we needed either E-bay or second hand for reasonable prices, but even with help from all you lovely funsters I really don't think OH would attempt installing an inverter.
We did call in at Becks about 6 months ago to enquire about getting this done and what they would charge but they only fit stuff they supply. Is that the case with most of these places do you know?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Low oil level indicator
& automatic cut out if oil level low.
Sounded like a two stroke with separate oil tank, or if a 4 stroke and they expect it to use loads of oil doesn't sound good.

Many modern gennys have a low oil level cutoff switch, my open frame 3KVA unit does and that is definiteley 4 stroke. Supplied with oil can and funnel because they ship them dry, its easier to keep oil in a sealed can than in an engine that could be stacked upside down.

Nothing in the spec leads me to suspect its a stroker.

D.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Peanuts for a 2kW gennie.

We carried one for thousands of miles but the only time I used it the noise drove me mad.

Not a problem, especially when you spend best part of 20years within 10 yards of Large Marine Engines running 24/7!. After the first 2 nights. it`s when it STOPS you worry!.

Pete

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Just a quick update - I phoned Aldi to ask whether two stroke or not and a very nice lady said it's a four stroke engine. So I think as a temporary thing it looks like it might do the job. (y)

Reactions: DBK

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Will it be covered by their usual money back guarantee if not completely satisfied?
If so, you could always get one & fire it up to see if you can live with the noise, any emissions, weight etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So I think as a temporary thing it looks like it might do the job. (y)

So one last hurdle, can you live with the size/weight. All 2kW ones I've seen are fair sized things. We had a 1kW one, about the same price and even that was quite a handful. Plus you get to store a petrol can. That's a lot of valuable space.

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Well the noise will drive me mad I know it will :( but only for about 10 mins every couple of days....sooooo i'll just have to accept that :) I think Aldi would be pretty good on taking things back plus there is a five year guarantee on it. And I guess i could sell 2nd hand when i'm done with it, as I would much prefer to go down the solar route.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well the noise will drive me mad I know it will :( .

Yes, it's not the volume but the continuous drone.

We were on a site with some RVs, now these are something else, just ran their built in gennies when they felt like it and what a racket they made.

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
So one last hurdle, can you live with the size/weight. All 2kW ones I've seen are fair sized things. We had a 1kW one, about the same price and even that was quite a handful. Plus you get to store a petrol can. That's a lot of valuable space.

What!! you mean it won't fit in my handbag :) sorry couldn't resist that.
There is a big garage and I think we're ok weight wise. But a good point so I'll check to see if a 1kw might do the job before rushing in and buying.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Looks like it may be a rebadged Kipor. A bit big for my needs the 850 charges my batteries and runs the remoska. I will be going for the gas soldering iron best on the market though this time it does not have the rope cutting knife

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015

Thanks for that it much lighter weight than the Aldi one. Would that charge a laptop do you think. And the hairdryer is 1700 w

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Only you can decide if you 'need' a Genny, if you will get any practical use from it (or will it be left in the garage after the first couple of trips), if the cost, even after resale value is worth it for the "temporary" time or would it just be better to do without until you can afford the (relatively) small amount extra to have solar?
From what I've seen on this thread - the Aldi Generator is probably excellent value if you absolutely need one.

One for the techie experts... Noise rating appears to be at 1/4 load - does that mean that a larger unit would be quieter than a smaller one given the same demand?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it's worth getting one for use at home when the power cuts start because we don't have enough power stations. :)

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Awfully expensive solution for a few minutes hair drying :eek:.
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy another, lower powered, dryer?

:D I know I know! But the hairdryer's my only luxury.:)
And it's hard to find one much lower wattage but I will look :)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
looks reasonable for the money, i'd buy it. too compact to be a 2 stoke, they need more air. Not as suitcase like as that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back