lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Just a quickie for the selfbuilders Aldi have on offer expanding foam. 750ml tin £4.99 so quite a bit cheaper than the branded stuff bought a couple of tins to give it a go and Iam impressed. it takes longer to set than the mainstream gear and expands quite a bit more and its a cool mint green colour

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just a quickie for the selfbuilders Aldi have on offer expanding foam. 750ml tin £4.99 so quite a bit cheaper than the branded stuff bought a couple of tins to give it a go and Iam impressed. it takes longer to set than the mainstream gear and expands quite a bit more and its a cool mint green colour

Hi I use expanding foam quite a bit at work, you can control how quick it sets by spraying water on it, buy one of those plant spraying bottles from a garden centre, they work best, if you think it may be expanding too much you can give it a quick blast with the sprayer and it will set without expanding any more.

its a bugger to get off anything though, had a can explode in the back of my van as the sun had been shining through the rear window all day, covered everything in the back, tools, materiels, right bloody mess.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Hi I use expanding foam quite a bit at work, you can control how quick it sets by spraying water on it, buy one of those plant spraying bottles from a garden centre, they work best, if you think it may be expanding too much you can give it a quick blast with the sprayer and it will set without expanding any more.

its a bugger to get off anything though, had a can explode in the back of my van as the sun had been shining through the rear window all day, covered everything in the back, tools, materiels, right bloody mess.

cool didnt know about the spraying water trick, like you say bloody messy stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i saw a video once where the guy used expanding foam behind a smashed plastic bumper with a hole in it. they allowed it to set over the hole then trimmed it to shape and covered with filler on the face side. seemed a reasonably effective way to bodge a fix with good results

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
i saw a video once where the guy used expanding foam behind a smashed plastic bumper with a hole in it. they allowed it to set over the hole then trimmed it to shape and covered with filler on the face side. seemed a reasonably effective way to bodge a fix with good results

Ive seen it used on a car they filled the exhaust back box and filled the door gaps right round the whole door, took hours to open all 4 doors

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi Lee buy a foam gun from somewhere like toolstation/screwfix/ebay (aprox £12 up)and you can pick cans of foam to fit the gun for around £3.50 -total control over how much comes out and you will not be covered in it ::bigsmile: :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Hi Lee buy a foam gun from somewhere like toolstation/screwfix/ebay (aprox £12 up)and you can pick cans of foam to fit the gun for around £3.50 -total control over how much comes out and you will not be covered in it ::bigsmile: :thumb:
terry

Ive seen the guns before do they work as well as they say? and how easy are they to clean

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ive seen the guns before do they work as well as they say? and how easy are they to clean

Worth there weight in gold :thumb: very easy to clean you buy cans of gun cleaner (just like foam but only 500 ml) unscrew the empty foam can and screw on gun cleaner give a quick blast through gun into a plastic bag or somewhere -then unscrew gun cleaner and fit new can of foam --always leave either a can of gun cleaner or foam on the gun :thumb:When we used foam daily we used to fire the gun cleaner through about once every ten cans or so ::bigsmile:When you come to store the gun with foam on tighten the adjusting screw-you can leave partially empty cans on the gun for a year or more, same with gun cleaner but NEVER leave the gun without a can of either foam or cleaner on ::bigsmile: I have just been and bought 2 cans of foam today at £3 each :winky:
terry

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Worth there weight in gold :thumb: very easy to clean you buy cans of gun cleaner (just like foam but only 500 ml) unscrew the empty foam can and screw on gun cleaner give a quick blast through gun into a plastic bag or somewhere -then unscrew gun cleaner and fit new can of foam --always leave either a can of gun cleaner or foam on the gun :thumb:When we used foam daily we used to fire the gun cleaner through about once every ten cans or so ::bigsmile:When you come to store the gun with foam on tighten the adjusting screw-you can leave partially empty cans on the gun for a year or more, same with gun cleaner but NEVER leave the gun without a can of either foam or cleaner on ::bigsmile: I have just been and bought 2 cans of foam today at £3 each :winky:
terry
well there gonna be alot more foam work so gonna be worth going for the gun then cheers Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back