Free Member
Jan 18, 2017
Norway
Funster No
MH
Hobby 650 KFU
Exp
Hello,

Im a newbie :) Just bought a used 2012 Hobby KFU with an Alde heating system. Before winter, I drained the unit of the fresh water. I was considering going to our fixed camping location to spend some time in the caravan.

Questions:
1) Am I able to use the Alde system with the water drained out?
2) If so, is there anything I need to do as far as settings to tell the system not to heat the drained water?

3) Any other advice?

Cheers !

Steven

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Steven,

:HelloThere: & :pink: to the Fun

The Alde heating system should be filled with an anti-freeze mix which should be safe to at least -20c and is ok to use for heating whilst the fresh water has been drained out.

OP
OP
D

DrDetroit

Free Member
Jan 18, 2017
Norway
Funster No
MH
Hobby 650 KFU
Exp
Thanks for the response :)

I purchased the caravan used. Do all Alde heating systems have an anti-freeze mix inside to begin with? Side question: Should i have this anti-freeze replaced with new at some point? Like I said, im a newbie and dove into this without much research :) A friend has a caravan at a fixed place camp site and a prime lot and caravan became for sale and I jumped on it :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DrDetroit

Free Member
Jan 18, 2017
Norway
Funster No
MH
Hobby 650 KFU
Exp
Is the anti freeze mix changing to be left to professionals, or is it something caravan owners do themselves? Is it common to have someone come out to the caravan location to have the new fluid changed? Removing my caravan from the fixed location could prove to be a pain in the butt :) I eventually plan to change that, with some sort of sliding solution. (caravan is "installed" next to a wooden cabin type thing)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We changed ours at 2 years for the new type which is good for 5 years take a look on the Alde site

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is the anti freeze mix changing to be left to professionals, or is it something caravan owners do themselves? Is it common to have someone come out to the caravan location to have the new fluid changed? Removing my caravan from the fixed location could prove to be a pain in the butt :) I eventually plan to change that, with some sort of sliding solution. (caravan is "installed" next to a wooden cabin type thing)
I don't think that many people change or have the anti freeze changed, it is easy enough to do though.

Another option if you are bothered is to take a sample and get it checked.

Martin

OP
OP
D

DrDetroit

Free Member
Jan 18, 2017
Norway
Funster No
MH
Hobby 650 KFU
Exp
I should defiantly check the documentation i received with the caravan to see if and when the anti freeze was last changed :)

Funflair... Do you mean to say that not many people change the anti freeze in general. Meaning most people operate the system with old antifreeze?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
image.jpg

Either of these will do the job mix G40 50/50

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I have had Alde heating in my last two leisure vehicles so a total off 7 years, just wait till water level goes down to minimum then top up with anti freeze, never had any problems, when i was in the army thats all they used in vehicles, never put water in just antifreeze, the two in photo's above are fine just use quality antifreeze.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I should defiantly check the documentation i received with the caravan to see if and when the anti freeze was last changed :)

Funflair... most people operate the system with old antifreeze?

I believe that to be true.

Although I would be happy to be corrected.

Martin

OP
OP
D

DrDetroit

Free Member
Jan 18, 2017
Norway
Funster No
MH
Hobby 650 KFU
Exp
Follow up question :) Does the Alde provide heat for the Toilet flush water? Dont want that to freeze :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back