Alde heating (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Should Alde heating run continuously until at desired pre-set temperature or cut of and fire back up again ?
Have just been out to the Motorhome and after running for 4 hours on gas the temperature is only 18.5 c from -1 c is this about right or am I expecting to much

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
have you got recirculation on as well, a symbol like the refresh key on a keyboard?

it must be working to some degree at least, maybe just needs tweaking, never actually tried going from so cold with ours

just a thought though, can you not use electric? you can actually have both on together

what temperature have you set?

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
have you got recirculation on as well, a symbol like the refresh key on a keyboard?

it must be working to some degree at least, maybe just needs tweaking, never actually tried going from so cold with ours

just a thought though, can you not use electric? you can actually have both on together

what temperature have you set?

yes I have the circulation pump at 2 and the temperature is set at highest 30c

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sounds like you have given it best chance, reckon patience is the next thing (y)

but if you are sleeping in it tonight don't forget to turn it down :D

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
ALDI heating works differently to the old fashioned blown air. The main difference is that ALDE tents to heat the fabric of the Motorhome so the air temp isn't the main issue sleeping with the heating on will do no harm to you at all but turn the temperature setting down to your preferred temp & the outside cold temperature wont bother you in the slightest.

Oh & its just began snowing here in Ayrshire, brrrrrrr....Robert & Hazel.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
ALDI heating works differently to the old fashioned blown air. The main difference is that ALDE tents to heat the fabric of the Motorhome so the air temp isn't the main issue sleeping with the heating on will do no harm to you at all but turn the temperature setting down to your preferred temp & the outside cold temperature wont bother you in the slightest.

Oh & its just began snowing here in Ayrshire, brrrrrrr....Robert & Hazel.

Ok but surely the temperature would be above 19.5 c after 5 hours continuous running on gas.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On ours we have 2 outlets into the garage area, I presume to keep the area under the bed warmer rather that actually warming the garage, but that would be waste of heat if you have that on yours

Pop out and walk the dog, 19.5C will seem lovely when you come back in :)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We have ours on 18.5 untill 9pm then through the night if it drops below 12 it comes on,then at 4 am fires up towards 18.5 again, takes about 4 hours to get to 18.5. This is on electric but if you want it boosted then put on gas also and will heat quicker.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
If you turn temp down to, say 17 does the pump switch off? If it does you know the thermostat is working. Then try setting the temp to, say 21 and see if this works. Have never set mine up to 30 and something in my memory says if you set to max it runs continually. I could be wrong. Alde have a good website with a manual for fault finding.
Good luck.
Bernie

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the Alde heating system and find it very slow to warm the van from cold on electric only. Especially in the morning when I first get up. I find by having both the gas and electric turned on, then it is much quicker, but with a 5 minute blast from the Eberspacher sorts it out.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Yes if you set the heating to a chosen temp the pump will happily click in & out automatically as required. I'm not quite sure why the air temp is so slow to heat up but you might want to check the water level in the header tank which is easy enough to do. The heating should also be programmable for day & night settings.

Robert & Hazel.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We have the Alde heating system and even though it says 21 degrees on the screen it doesn't feel like it, my wife as a built in heat sensor and as confirmed this, on the other van the blown heating system would roast you, most of the radiators on ours are behind things like the bed and the dinette area so must stop a lot of the heat circulating the salesman reckon they tested it down to -47 at Millbrook testing ground and the temperature inside was 30 degrees we tried getting ours up to 30 never achieved it even on gas and electric, there's a radiator in the toilet, now that does get hot.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
My experience of ALDE heating was that it was simply more effective & we used the van in every season & this was in Scotland! The biggest difference was when we'd taken our two collie's out for an evening stroll, open the door with the blow air heating & all of the heat rushed out but with the ALDE you barely noticed that the door had been opened! The blown air can certainly get the van warmed up but under the bed etc was positively freezing. Mould growing was also an issue in the corners with the blown air but never with the ALDE. However we did notice that the hot water for showers was a breeze with the older systems but the ALDE struggled to heat enough water for one shower let alone two. So upon reflection perhaps it all depends upon the individual application & vehicle?

Robert & Hazel.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We too have Alde heating and swear by it, heating and hot water. Many people think they can stand under the shower for ages. Not the case the tank only holds about 12 litres and will heat to 40 degrees in 30 mins.

Ours is the older 3000 boiler and the control panel goes from 1-5 I think. If we have it set on 3 the heating is very comfy, a tad higher if on leccie. What many people don't realise is that the boiler should have a regular service in much the same way as a domestic heating boiler. The burner jet should be changed and the header tanked topped with antifreeze and all flexible hoses checked.

http://www.alde.co.uk/service.php

When we bought our new to us Concorde, I got in touch with Graham Cutmore and he did a full service which included exchanging the gas burner, draining the system, re-filling and re-commissioning.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
did you sleep in it last night? did you get warm enough?

been back to ours to check my own comments from last night, I was wrong about the recirc bit, that symbol comes on only when the pump is running

but I am confused when you say you have yours set to 2, the only numbers we have like that are the electric setting, with 1,2 or 3 Kw settings, the gas simply has a flame symbol and is on or off

are you on hook up?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Its all down to how well its installed. Enough air needs to be drawn up around the radiators, just like domestic central heating. They need free flowing air from below to work at max efficiency. In winter you need gas on as well to get it up to temp...I wish it was an option in a PVC's :(

its the same with fridges, a poorly installed one struggles in the summer. same fridge works perfectly if installed properly. I have now for the first time a properly installed one!

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
This is a great thread about ALDE as I have just bought a new Laika with ALDE heating system. We have also a Heat Exchanger from the engine and a little fan under the front seats which circulates the air in the cab area. I was away at VanBlitz last week for a night and got temperature upton 20+ on Eddies electric set at 3Kw. Water was very hot. I did like the way the van felt more of an all over heat. Now the boss is on the next trip and it will interesting to see how it goes. "have you got the fan heater packed" I expect we'll be seen from outer space glowing red! it seems that it's important to keep temperature up and not let it drop.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you have the older Alde controller with the three sliders you will get hotter water if you use the first position on the pump control compared to sliding all the way up.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Yes if you set the heating to a chosen temp the pump will happily click in & out automatically as required. I'm not quite sure why the air temp is so slow to heat up but you might want to check the water level in the header tank which is easy enough to do. The heating should also be programmable for day & night settings

Except it's not water in the header tank! You have to use the correct fluid available from all good MH retailers.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It is different, much more like domestic Central heating. It's chalk and cheese compared with blown air..where you end up with a hot head and cold feet and dust being blown around. Have been up in Sweden in -25 and toasty warm. You have to use gas though to get heat level up quickly..... But again, it's only as good as the construction of the van it's been installed in....

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am sure on one motor with Alde,there was an overide switch that allowed the heater whatsit to boost the water temp for so long,like when showering,so you did not run out of hot water.
" When all else fails"... LOL. It IS in the book,but written in such a way,that you will have lost the urge to shower. Have fun.
Tea Bag

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
It's the tap symbol on your panel. This will turn the central heating off for 30 mins and direct the heat to the water and then revert back to central heating 30 mins later.

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I think as an all round system the Alde beats the Truma...however...it's only as good as the thermostat! If I were you I would put a cheap digital thermometer in the van and then compare the readout! I reckon that a cheapo digital thermometer reads more accurately than the Alde thermostat.

I might be wrong but it's probably warmer in the van than the Alde readout suggests...try it, at least it will give a benchmark.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Thank you for all the helpful reply's , I have been down to my supplying dealer this morning and he has purged the system of air and has also advised me that for best results use both electric and gas .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back