Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Hi
could anyone help us with advice on the Alde heating and water systems and are the noisy? .
im new to this site today so bear with me please and learning to navigate this site!
thank you

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi SJ

Is the Alde heating noisy? NO you have a bit of a hum from the pump but would be hard pushed to hear it unless you really tried, that's my experience anyway.

Very good system and even better if you have the optional heat exchanger.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Check the setting on the pump, think it's a blue switch/knob thing. We had problems when we bought your new M/H. Spoke to Alde at Malvern they said that often the dealer/supplier turns this up full to 5 to check it but it only needs to be run on 2. He was right we found setting was turned all the way up, now on 2 we can hear it but only just. We don't have it on during the night though, when we did when we first tried it whenever it cut in it sounded like a couple of motorbikes having a race down the M6. (Other motorways are available!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Ah brilliant replies thank you.
we have always had truma systems and they worked very good and heated up our mh very fast.
we are looking at getting a bailey autograph 625, but previously we have had autotrail excell with ghe webasgo system in and it was so noisy and positioned under bed that we sold it after one season and lost a lot of money so dont want to do same again
thank you

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Check the setting on the pump, think it's a blue switch/knob thing. We had problems when we bought your new M/H. Spoke to Alde at Malvern they said that often the dealer/supplier turns this up full to 5 to check it but it only needs to be run on 2. He was right we found setting was turned all the way up, now on 2 we can hear it but only just. We don't have it on during the night though, when we did when we first tried it whenever it cut in it sounded like a couple of motorbikes having a race down the M6. (Other motorways are available!)
Ah that's a fancy modern one with the inline adjustable pump, earlier systems just had it in the header tank and are fixed speed.

Martin

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ah brilliant replies thank you.
we have always had truma systems and they worked very good and heated up our mh very fast.
we are looking at getting a bailey autograph 625, but previously we have had autotrail excell with ghe webasgo system in and it was so noisy and positioned under bed that we sold it after one season and lost a lot of money so dont want to do same again
thank you
The Alde wont warm up as fast as a blown system but it will maintain a nice steady heat without draugts.

And its great to drive with it on through the engine heat exchanger.

Martin

Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I have the Alde heating,I don't have the heat exchanger but it still heat's the van when traveling.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Ah that's a fancy modern one with the inline adjustable pump, earlier systems just had it in the header tank and are fixed speed.

Martin
I had Alde heating in my 2012 van and you could hear it running when the rest of the van was quiet. I wasn't aware of there being a speed adjustment on the pump, so it may have been one of the older ones.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I had Alde heating in my 2012 van and you could hear it running when the rest of the van was quiet. I wasn't aware of there being a speed adjustment on the pump, so it may have been one of the older ones.
I think there are at least three pump options with the Alde system, one is the basic pump in the expansion tank then there are two inline versions one of which is adjustable, there might even be a 240 pump but my memory fais at this time of the morning.

Martin

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I think there are at least three pump options with the Alde system, one is the basic pump in the expansion tank then there are two inline versions one of which is adjustable, there might even be a 240 pump but my memory fais at this time of the morning.

Martin
Thanks Martin,

Thinking back, the expansion tank was mounted in a cupboard, on the rear wall of the van, in the rear washroom and that's where it was noisiest, which sounds like the basic option you describe.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

We had an Alde system and it was okay noice wise, pump whined a bit, even the new ones.

Our Alde was very unreliable though. 2 x Pump Failures, non-return valve broke apart and left us with no heating in the Pyrenees at Christmas. Loss of fluid, air locks and a program failure.

On a big van, they are slow to heat up from cold too.

But the three MH's Truma Blown air have never failed, so far!

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,

We had an Alde system and it was okay noice wise, pump whined a bit, even the new ones.

Our Alde was very unreliable though. 2 x Pump Failures, non-return valve broke apart and left us with no heating in the Pyrenees at Christmas. Loss of fluid, air locks and a program failure.

On a big van, they are slow to heat up from cold too.

But the three MH's Truma Blown air have never failed, so far!
Our experience was just the opposite. Truma developed a leak which meant a new water tank, and then, a few months later the PCB needed replacing. All in all cost us over £600 from memory. Had no problem with the Alde so far (touch wood). But they were different ages. The Truma was 6 years old, whereas we have the Alde from new about 15 months ago.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our Alde is mounted under our bed and the pump definitely disturbs us if it cuts in at night when we are in bed, barely hear it during the day, but can be heard starting up and when running

I will be looking for the setting as per @Madmag could really help us (y)

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We have the Alde heating, as already said, takes a while to heat up a big motorhome but once it gets there, it does keep it nice and warm at an even temperature as the fabric of the motorhome is warm rather than just the air inside.
We don't find it particularly noisy but we tend to turn off the two fan matrix heaters at the front of our motorhome during the night to cut the noise to almost silent. I also turned down the pump speed to three the day we collected it as it was set on five which according to Alde is only for bleeding the system.

We put the heating on in the motorhome the day before we go away and it warms up the whole space including inside the wardrobes and the garage. Because of the twin coil calorifier it stays warm while travelling and the motorhome remains comfortable the entire trip.

The Swift control app is a bit of a gimmick, but to be fair there has been a couple of times this year when we have been out walking (or eating or drinking!) later than expected and I have turned up the heating from my phone so it was really toasty when we got back later that evening.

Upvote 0

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
The Alde wont warm up as fast as a blown system but it will maintain a nice steady heat without draugts.

And its great to drive with it on through the engine heat exchanger.

Martin
I agree about ALDE and the heat exchanger great for when your driving, ours as got underfloor heating as well which the wife loves, yes you can adjust the pump speed.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the Alde heating, as already said, takes a while to heat up a big motorhome but once it gets there, it does keep it nice and warm at an even temperature as the fabric of the motorhome is warm rather than just the air inside.
We don't find it particularly noisy but we tend to turn off the two fan matrix heaters at the front of our motorhome during the night to cut the noise to almost silent. I also turned down the pump speed to three the day we collected it as it was set on five which according to Alde is only for bleeding the system.

We put the heating on in the motorhome the day before we go away and it warms up the whole space including inside the wardrobes and the garage. Because of the twin coil calorifier it stays warm while travelling and the motorhome remains comfortable the entire trip.

The Swift control app is a bit of a gimmick, but to be fair there has been a couple of times this year when we have been out walking (or eating or drinking!) later than expected and I have turned up the heating from my phone so it was really toasty when we got back later that evening.
The instructions for our van tell you to warm it up for 48 hours before using it in the winter.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am not saying the Alde heating is a bad system, I am just saying there are upsides and downsides to both. The only reason I would be swayed by the Alde system is the fact you can fit an engine waste heat exchanger.

When we had our Frankia with Alde. The Mercedes Chassis came ex factory with an Eberspacher diesel engine boost/add heater. The eberspacher would only run with the engine running. So I rewired it to a Mercedes double switch and paid a Mercedes dealer to re-program the system.

This way, I could fire the Eberspacher up without the engine running and heat by Diesel, should we run out of gas for example.

This way, the Alde ran on.......

*Gas
*Electricity
*Diesel or
*Waste Engine heat.

This way, we could turn up to an aire or freecamp in Winter. With a nicely heated habitation heater and a tank of hot water for washing/showers.

TM

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We have a Bailey 625 with the Alde system - I think its great (though I don't have anything to compare it to). Very quiet when running on electric, on gas you can hear the boiler cut in and out if you're listening out for it but its not loud at all. It takes about an hour to get the van from stone-cold to ok, and within another 30 mins/1 hour its definitely cozy.

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi guys could anyone tell me pls should the Alde heating work if not connected to mains and gas off,but with the electric button set to 2kw and the inverter on,the pump is on but seems there is no heat .sorry for what is probably a thick question:LOL:.
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
You need 240v hookup or gas on (or heat exchanger whilst engine running)to heat. Pump will run as it's on 12v.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi guys could anyone tell me pls should the Alde heating work if not connected to mains and gas off,but with the electric button set to 2kw and the inverter on,the pump is on but seems there is no heat .sorry for what is probably a thick question:LOL:.
Brian & Jo
Not only is there no heat, there is probably no hope for your batteries. 2Kw equals about 166amps at 12V. By the time you take into account losses it probably means a drain of about 180 amps. You do not say what batteries you have but they won't last long, and certainly not long enough to heat up your motorhome to any appreciable extent.

Edit. And I suspect that the the heater will not (or should not) be wired to the inverter anyway.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thank you ,I told you I was thick:LOL::eek:
Brian & Jo

There are several in the wings not brave enough to ask but want to know, you are most certainly NOT thick Brian, brave maybe but not thick.

When I was Wilding in Scotland last June July a couple of guys came over to ask why they could get no power out of their sockets in the hab area, I automatically assumed they meant 12volt, so I explained that somewhere there would probably be a switch they could throw to switch the sockets on as there is on mine.

They came back almost an hour later and asked if I could help them find said switch so over I went.
He pointed at the small 2kw electric fan heater and the 13 amp socket outlets. So I started to explain, he then said that he saw my wife using a mains coffee maker, I then had to explain that most rental motor-homes wouldn't fit inverters as standard.

I came away thinking thick or what? but of course they weren't being thick they simply had no knowledge of Motor-Homes and 12 volt systems.

Griff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back