Free Member
Sep 23, 2016
Ongar essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuild
Exp
4th year
We are getting a dripping noise from the the header tank which is located in our bedroom drives us nuts in the middle of night is this normal? , my only solution is to turn off the system not so good on those cold mornings .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it is the pressure cap of feed and return hoses the water would run down the pipes and be silent.
If its the pressure cap allowing water into the outlet tube it may well be that.
The pressure blow off pipe on mine is tucked down the pladtic pipe trim panel...by about 6" and could/will drip on the wardrobe floor.
If yours is also short and open try slipping the end in a small plastic bottle and see if any water has collected next morning.

Only other thing i can think is a faili g pump bearing allowing the impellor to intermittantly contact the impellor housing.
A new genuine pump assembly is around £110

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Ours makes the same drip, drip, drip sound when the heating is on and the pump is going.
Fortunately our little header tank is down near the front of the van so we don't hear it during the night.
I just presumed it was normal as its the first Alde system we've had in a motorhome but come to think of it we didn't get that noise when we had it fitted to a caravan a few years back.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
When our van was new there was a noise like a dripping tap (or ticking) and it drove me potty tracing it to being an aluminium pipe that was touching the body frame. As it warmed and cooled, the heat changed caused it to move very slightly against the frame causing the noise.
Worth a look.
I cured it by putting a piece of sponge between the pipe and body, never heard it again.

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
The most likely cause of the noise is gurgling in the header tank and not fluid dripping. Check the liquid in the header tank is between the min and max marks when it is running. If it is it won' t be dripping out of the overflow pipe. Check there isn't air in the system. There are bleed valves on the radiators (not while pump is running). If air bleeds out make sure to top up the header tank with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Take the cap off the header tank. Is there a pump attached. If there is no pump then the pump is attached to the boiler. A boiler pump can be adjusted for speed. Normally speed 2 is set. If it is set to 4 or 5 reduce it to 2 which should cure noise.

Alternatively ring Alde who are extremely helpful with advice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashwells

Ashwells

Free Member
Sep 23, 2016
Ongar essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuild
Exp
4th year
thanks for your advice will take a look at the pump settings and try to bleed the radiators

Upvote 0
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
The most likely cause of the noise is gurgling in the header tank and not fluid dripping. Check the liquid in the header tank is between the min and max marks when it is running. If it is it won' t be dripping out of the overflow pipe. Check there isn't air in the system. There are bleed valves on the radiators (not while pump is running). If air bleeds out make sure to top up the header tank with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Take the cap off the header tank. Is there a pump attached. If there is no pump then the pump is attached to the boiler. A boiler pump can be adjusted for speed. Normally speed 2 is set. If it is set to 4 or 5 reduce it to 2 which should cure noise.

Alternatively ring Alde who are extremely helpful with advice.

Couldn't have put it better ourselves, we had similar issues in the first caravan that we'd owned with Alde heating & it was driving me potty til we took the bull by the horns.

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
This problem is not uncommon with Alde systems and new users often complain of similar noises. We have suffered it on a caravan and mh in the past and with a tank near the bed it was a nightmare literally. At least it is not a serious or expensive problem.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Had exactly the same issue and was def cured by turning down pump speed on side of boiler unit to about level 2

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back