Alcohol and sleeping in your motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
With all that gas inside of you, I would have thought it would be a brave policeman who stepped inside to ask you anything :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thats worrying,,bet i drink 6 cans a day,,,Diet though does that count? BUSBY.
i think that depends on if the copper thinks your sweet enough.
but if your a fat bast--d you might lose out .
its hard to be perfect i know. ha ha .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
if you have been drinking and asked to, or have to move on, are you happy driving over the limit ?

why would you want to risk it ?
I'd rather get arrested for refusing to move, and get done for obstruction. It's got to be better than a ban, a hefty fine, and all that hassle with insurance a year later, plus the stigma of being labeled a drunk driver. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just refuse,,,BUSBY...

you may have no choice.., for example, if you were in imminent danger.

or if you refused an order by the police you could be breathalysed..

The advice in Jim's resource is sound..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just looked at the list of side effects and i don't suffer any of them. You won't take any notice of the advice though NICK because its not proven is it..BUSBY:):):)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just looked at the list of side effects and i don't suffer any of them. You won't take any notice of the advice though NICK because its not proven is it..BUSBY:):):)

Those were a couple of articles from a quick search. There is enough research around so that for me it is proven beyond any reasonable doubt. I also know someone personally who has suffered from Aspartame poisoning.

I was posting for information, it doesn't affect me as I don't drink any fizzy drinks, diet or otherwise.

If you want to put something like that into your body and aren't interested in what it does then carry on.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
All this stuff about showing ways that you are not intending to move goes out of the window if you are in fact told to move by the police or anyone else in authority.

No it doesn't, a person in authority whether police or anyone else does not have the authority to compel you to commit an offence, and if they did so would themselves commit an offence.

Outline the meaning of aid and abet as it applies to S44 (1) of the Magistrates' Courts Act 1980.
"A person who aids, abets, counsels, or procures the commission by another of a summary offence shall be guilty of the same offence." This applies to anyone, police, traffic attendants, campsite owners supermarket managers etc, infant anyone who might require you to move the vehicle.

If your vehicle was causing an obstruction or danger to others a police officer may take the practical step of offering you a voluntary breath test, of course they don't have to. If you were under then you could be required to move. If over you cannot be required to do so but a simple and effective solution would be for the officer move the vehicle so as not to obstruct or cause danger, they have the power to do so in law. (Of course if you refused a compulsory breath test you would be arrested and the vehicle moved anyway) if you refused a voluntary breath test without good reason you may be obstructing them in their duty. You could be arrested and they would move the vehicle without your permission.

This does not apply to non police officers. In their case again simple solution would be for the owner to allow them, subject to their being licensed to drive and covered by insurance, to move the vehicle to a safer or more convenient place.

The defence of having no intention of driving and there being no likelihood of doing so still stands.

I am talking about in the UK.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Those were a couple of articles from a quick search. There is enough research around so that for me it is proven beyond any reasonable doubt. I also know someone personally who has suffered from Aspartame poisoning.

I was posting for information, it doesn't affect me as I don't drink any fizzy drinks, diet or otherwise.

If you want to put something like that into your body and aren't interested in what it does then carry on.
But not enough evidence to prove the 6 metre rule,,,,,Me thinks you cherry pick things that suit you at the time. Bet you don't put the demon alcohol in your body either....BUSBY:):):)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But not enough evidence to prove the 6 metre rule,,,,,Me thinks you cherry pick things that suit you at the time. Bet you don't put the demon alcohol in your body either....BUSBY:):):)

Not cherry picking anything.

I've not seen any evidence whatsoever either proving or disproving the 6 metre rule. Not one little bit. If any exists nobody seems to want me to see it. Like I said on the other thread show me some research based evidence beyond just quoting the CC rule book or the 1960 Act and I'll read it.

There is plenty of evidence on how dangerous Aspartame is.

Based on the evidence I've seen I would say that alcohol is considerably less dangerous than Aspartame.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Has anyone actually had a problem with this ? there are loads of things that can go wrong if there is very little chance of it happening and no legal prescedent I would't bother too much unless wild camping and actually on the road the police seem to have pleanty of other things to worry about.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
All very well. But.. thousands camp every night can anyone say they have been arrested and convicted? Why would the police want to do this? Surely they have plenty to do with the usual nonsense they face from the dregs. Also even if it went to court you are allowed to defend yourself and I think someone arrested in their pjs wasn't really planning to drive that night.

Assuming the 'driver' wasn't a quick change artist who got into his PJ's as the Bobby is knocking on the door (in an attempt to fool the P.C.) I can confirm that the PC would have to have asbestos ear protectors from the words of the Custody Sgt. when the 'driver' was presented before him.
At least that's what 'My' Pc's would get when I was performing that role.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Not cherry picking anything.

I've not seen any evidence whatsoever either proving or disproving the 6 metre rule. Not one little bit. If any exists nobody seems to want me to see it. Like I said on the other thread show me some research based evidence beyond just quoting the CC rule book or the 1960 Act and I'll read it.

There is plenty of evidence on how dangerous Aspartame is.

Based on the evidence I've seen I would say that alcohol is considerably less dangerous than Aspartame.
Now you are talking tosh,,,,,how many deaths and illness is caused by excessive consumption of alcohol..how many marriages are broken up by it,,,many many thousands of the population are affected by excessive alcohol abusive than the use of sweeteners,,,,,,,Mind you i drink alcohol and use sweeteners,,,so i have not got a hope have i ? I have very low cholesterol,,normal blood pressure, can cycle 20 odd miles daily ,,walk 15 miles with ease am not overweight,, and very happy,,,must be something wrong with your figures,,,i am 72 next birthday so have been abusing myself for a few years,,,BUSBY:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
Read all your messages about drinking while wild camping, found it all very interesting, I will admit, I do not wild camp very often, I when I do, I don't normally drink, I save it for when I am at a meet / on a site with my friends, as far as being in my pyjamas when PC plod knocks on the door, in the summer I sleep in my birthday suit, in the winter & use jogging top / bottoms, I do not even possess any jym jams. So I could never use that as reassuring Mr Police Person that I do not intend to drive. Just Saying.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My rule is always, if I'm parked anywhere but an official site then I treat it the same as when driving a car. Not forgetting that even when on site, moving from one pitch to another or giving a lift to the site facilities is still an offence.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Was discussing a similar topic the other day...
In Norway the likes of buses have systems installed that the driver has to use before they can start the vehicle... it checks their alcohol level..
Not sure how secure their use is (ie whether they can be fiddled ) but it's something else that may be introduced more widely and can only add to the debate..:)..
Andy..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I don't drink alcohol and also don't have a driving licence at the moment.

So if Martin has a drink but I have the keys, no way would I drive even though I am still on the insurance - the insurance company know about the licence.

Not likely to be an issue as if there is even a 1% chance he will have to drive in the next 24 hours he won't touch alcoholic drink. Not even the alcoholic ginger beer that is so popular.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
You could always refuse to move on the grounds that you have driven for X number of hours and are therefor tired so not safe to move vehicle, but inform the police officer that he/she has your permission to move vehicle to a safe place

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting discussion. My wife doesn't drive the mh so this is a pertinent to me.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Lock the keys in the TOAD, that means drunk in CHARGE of TWO vehicle at the same time???? You would really have to have caused agro for a copper to even look a you in the first place. I have just been down to the West country and only saw ONE police man and he was in a car going the other way That trip was 560 miles. 1 police car with 1 policeman. They are getting a bit thin on the ground.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Watched a video recently about this...joolsinamotorhome, a full timer who has the occasional beer and says ..1, Hide your keys an tell anyone whos knocking that you have lost yoyrs and a relative is bringing your spare set in the morning..or..2, just dont answer the door

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
If a Police officer asked who was the driver and nobody said they were, then he is scuppered on that front.
Not so, all occupants could be arrested with enquiries to follow. The driver is usually identified :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Has any one actually had any problem with the police if thay are parked up curtains closed.
Seet turned or wound over the steering wheel keys hung up not cusing an obstruction because only a idiot would park up that way
i have been wild camping or free parking all my adult life and never had a problem so if you have
Not someone who knows someone personal experience only pleas
OUT WITH IT
BILL

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am currently parked up on a site in Cornwall, The site gates are not locked, and the public could thereby have access to the site. So what is my situation?. Having been down to the nearby pub, had several pints of REAL beer. Am I now in danger of being prosecuted? The keys are here on the hook by the door. In theory I am no more (or less) liable to have my collar felt, than if I was on the layby on the A38?. IF I was at home, My keys to the car on my driveway are kept in the House. Under the same scenario I am thereby "liable", In that I "MAY" decide in the middle of the night to go for a ride.!!. As a (much) younger man I did indeed more than once, put a screaming child in the car and drive!. The motion was effective at inducing slumber, when all else failed!.

A severe lack of common sense is prevalent here IMV.

Teresa1

Free Member
Dec 3, 2016
Ripon
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello - new to the forum so really interested in your discussion re: booze and parking. I am planning my first M/H buy and thought I was the only one to worry about 'one too many sherries' in a public place i.e. A pub car park. How about asking the landlord to hold the M/H keys behind the bar until the next day's opening time? If I'd agreed to buy my evening meal and drinks for the evening at his establishment in exchange for a parking berth would this not seem reasonable?? No keys - no intention to drink under the influence?? Am I being naive? Planning on lots of lovely wild trips so interested to hear what experienced motorhomers have to say. Teresa

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back