Alcohol and sleeping in your motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jim, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Informative Informative x 20
    • Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I've sought to answer a common question, if anyone has any comments or if any of our Funster police or ex police would like to comment on the article, add to it or put me right. Feel free.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bart

Bart Funster

Very informative Jim , I'm just glad i don't drink ^^ , unless you can get done for getting blocked on Coffee :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Truck drivers have always had this problem when overnighting in the cab. Of course they have the tachograph as backup, if there hours are up its obvious they have no intention of driving.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Excellent advice Jim, thank you! :bear:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

That's a great article @Jim. Something to refer the next cam I have a drink thread to.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. pyro

pyro Funster

This question was asked of me the other day, and it was good to read this article

Any place to which the public have access is, well, public. Technically even an ungated private road is publicly accessible. I spoke with one of my colleagues about it, and he told me of a chap who was sitting behind the steering wheel of a car on a security monitoring exercise (legal) but was not insured to drive that specific car. He didn't have the keys, but as he "had control of the handbrake", he was deemed to be uninsured in control of a motor vehicle in a public place ("it could roll down a hill") , and prosecuted. Absolute madness on the part of the magistrate (who are pretty bloody suspect in many cases).

I suspect a gated site would be considered publicly inaccessible, and in my limited experience to date (all overseas) there have been "silent time" (no movement allowed between certain hours, and gate locked)

Interesting to hear if anyone has any experience with this

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

If there are two people in the vehicle,who is the driver?, they are quite big and there could be six in there, who is the driver? If a Police officer asked who was the driver and nobody said they were, then he is scuppered on that front. However there are not that many who would push the stupid button over this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Surely if wild camping you would want the option of being able to drive away should some idiots turn up and cause you problems?
    That's why I only ever have a few when on a site and stick to a half with my meal when wild

• Like Like x 8
  10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Good practise (y)

11. pyro

pyro Funster

Good point. But the registered keeper is legally required to identify the person in control of the vehicle. Issues such as who was sitting in the driver's seat and who had possession of the ignition key, as well as who was insured to drive/licenced would presumably come into play.

Haven't had enough time in my own M/H to think about getting hammered. Not actually much of a drinker, I leave that to the copilot

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Rather than all stay quiet, the correct thing to do would be for every on to say it was themselves, or alternately all point to the person next to them !

13. Cavs

Cavs Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

I like a drink as much as anyone, but if we are parked anywhere where there is an outside chance of being moved on, I stick to coke, just not worth the risk, that's the difference between dedicated Aires and public car parks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I just had a thought. Another thing to think about as proof that there is no intention to drive could be the antenna on the roof. If you have the TV aerial up, or a satellite dish in the raised position this could be indicators that you don't intend to move the van? Not conclusive, but just a thought like I said.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

........but surely that is just as illegal....:whistle2:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Yes good idea. When you appreciate that if over the limit you are "guilty" and could rightly be arrested. The only thing stopping your arrest is convincing a police officer that your legal defence in court would be rock solid. The more obvious that defence the less likely the police officer will be concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

All this stuff about showing ways that you are not intending to move goes out of the window if you are in fact told to move by the police or anyone else in authority.

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Of course the article makes that plain.

20. PeteH

PeteH Funster

When you are parked in a public place wherever there is a chance you might be moved on. Such places include lay-bys, deserted car parks, etc. You should never be over the limit. The risk of suddenly becoming Drunk In Charge or Driving Under the Influence are high.

I suggest the the obvious answer to that, assuming you are daft enough to do it in the first place. Would be to decline to move, and take any fine for the lesser (Parking) "offence"?.

Pete

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1