Alchemy game refuses to load (most of the time) (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Now that winter evenings are approaching, I thought I'd download an old favourite game of mine, PopCap's Alchemy, to my current laptop (ThinkPad T400s). The free trial was fine and the game continued to play fine after I'd purchased it. But when I'd restarted the computer it just wouldn't launch - get a brief black screen then it reverts to desktop. Alchemy 1.6 appears in the bottom task bar but clicking on it just gets the same brief black screen. According to Task Manager, Alchemy is 'running' and the only way to quit the program is via the Task Manager.

PopCap have advised me to get latest updates for DirectX, sound and video cards - which I've done but makes no difference. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times. Bizarrely, on 2 separate occasions the game has launched normally - but I have no idea why, or what might have been running differently.

I have tried it with and without internet connection, with and without Norton, with and without any other programs running - still it won't launch. It's not an all-singing all-dancing high graphics game, and I've never had a problem running it on previous computers. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get the ****ing game to behave properly?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back