Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
My Hymer B660 is fitted with the Waeco MS-650 alarm. No PIN was supplied with it, and the dealers are less than helpful.
I don't want to brute force trying the PIN (only two digits!) because I don't know whether it will permanently lock out after n attempts. I'm not currently in a position to drive it all the way to the dealers for them to examine.

On handover, I was shown how to use the Mercedes Keyfob to lock & alarm the van. I have been using that method up until a few days ago assuming all was OK when I stopped to think why the indicators flash three times on arming.

Hours and hours on the internet trying to find a useful users manual have failed - I can only find an installation / commissioning manual. (I did find a more comprehensive manual for the later, MS660 model, but that's not much use, I don't think?)

From what I can glean, three flashes seems to signify a problem but without the PIN, I can't interrogate the system. I have checked as many of the magnetic reeds as possible and the ones I can get to seem to provide appropriate voltages when open vs. closed.

If I try and arm it with a door open, I still get the same three flashes. Arming it while still inside gives three flashes. Neither scenario causes the alarm to trigger.

Finally, there is no alarm contact fitted to the bonnet. I assume this is because the starter battery is inside the main body?

Does anyone have any knowledge of these alarms, where to get a manual, or who to go to for diagnosis / fix? Would like to have a resolution before we depart for Germany next week!

BTW, I'm based halfway between Wigan and Warrington.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya in my ins book 3 flash means boot.hab.doors not shut properly make sure and reset by pressing the blue button ..have a Nottingham phone 0115 942 2728 its quite old so hope this helps

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya me again go onto google put in waeco magic safe ms-650 and you can download the manual

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WSandME

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
S20Hymer - Thanks for the reset tip. Re. the phone number - if I have to go that far, I might as well take it back to the dealer :sneaky:
I have already downloaded the ms-650 manual, but it doesn't go into actual usage - only installation.

The "three flashes = door not shut properly" in my manual means the STATUS LED flashing - not, as in my case, the indicator lamps flashing.

No matter what method I try to activate the alarm, I can't get it to trigger, so I'm assuming it never gets set. This also means that I can't perform any of the tests which require setting the alarm off!

Later...

OK. Base vehicle manual states that on setting central locking using the Mercedes keyfob, indicators flash three times to indicate "the drive authorisation system or the anti-theft alarm system (ATA) is primed"
I have no idea whether the alarm system referred to is the base vehicle alarm, or the Waeco, or both? or even whether there is a base vehicle alarm fitted (as opposed to the standard immobiliser)
Unlocking using the Mercedes keyfob results in a single flash of indicators and doors unlocking.

Using the Waeco keyfob, when I press Blue, I get 1 flash of indicators - press a second time, get 2 flashes - no other discernible effect, i.e alarm not set, central locking not set.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya the manual is double dutch to me ..i just press blue once one flash of indicators and it sets the alarm it dosnt lock the doors so if you open any the alarm goes off...i just lock every with key central locking..must press blue button so indicators flash twice before opening anything or alarm goes off

OP
OP
WSandME

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Interestinger and interestinger...
I have just dismantled half the cab to find the control box.

# LED is on permanently.
# Pull both fuses and LED goes out.
# Replace fuses, box clicks and LED turns on.

Examine wiring and...
The lead from the box to (optional) immobiliser) is cut (P3.2)
The lead from the box to the door switch is cut (P3.3)
The lead from the box to the boot switch is cut (P3.4)
I can't (yet) trace the lead from the box to the bonnet switch (No bonnet switch is fitted)

There are no connections from the box to any central locking outputs.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the alarm has EVER worked!!!

My head is spinning :banghead:

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya mine works as have explained i wont mess with it as it might not start again,,,it sounds as if it has been a problem before and been immobilised ...we very rarely set our alarm as we have security locks on both doors and they would most likely break a plastic window to get in which have no alarm... best of luck with your problem..there at least it goes ps the book we have tells you how set codes etc also our m/b key is just that not coded

OP
OP
WSandME

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Thanks for your interest!
I'll probably leave it as is now until it is due for its service.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I assume you bought the van secondhand.

If so, maybe you could contact the previous owner to find out more about the functioning of the alarm system. It does sounds a bit unusual (or mildly suspicious) if the wires have been cut from the control box !!!

OP
OP
WSandME

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I did try to contact the previous owner because I found their birth certificate in the van ( I bought through a dealer).
The dealer seemed reluctant to divulge or pass anything on, and told me: "The previous owners don't have a fixed address - they have gone full time in their new motorhome". :wasntme:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I don't want to appear alarmist but assume your Dealer is fairly reputable. He seems to be unnecessarily unhelpful with regard to your requests for information.

A UK based full timer would need a UK postal address for insurance purposes. Suggest you ask your dealer how he knows the previous owner is full timing and whether he bought his replacement van from the Dealer. The Dealer should know the UK postal address of the seller.

Hope you get it all sorted and your Dealer will be more proactive in advice regarding the previous owner.

OP
OP
WSandME

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Wagoneer - You are of course right; I'll try someone other than the salesman we dealt with at the dealer when we get back from our next trip.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
WSandME

Just reviving an old thread as the motorhome we have just bought has the same system.
Did you ever manage to understand the system or find a user guide?
Thanks

DonnyKoolmees

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Van
Hi all,
We are searching eveywhere for the remote transmitter for this exact system (MagicSafe MS650). Do you have one of these available. We would be glad to buy it and pay for the shipping. You would help us a lot. Thanks in advance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back