Alan Roger's Guide - what a load?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Sidney, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Too often the Mrs reaches for the Alan Roger's "best campsites in France" guide and it's such utter bum fodder.

Two of the places I have stayed (this year) are Alan Roger's Selected Sites and are among the worse places I have ever used. Tonight being a fine example of a site located next to a dog kennel/pound. It's 01:20 and you cannot imagine the noise!!!

Am I alone in reaching this conclusion? Has anyone else tossed this into the bin?

2. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Two campsites out of many hundreds which are of a very high standard. Contact AR and name the sites. The Campsite Director will make sure your comments are taken into consideration when the next inspection takes place. There are about 40 couples who undertake the inspection of all of the AR quoted sites throughout Europe. All are independent and base their comments on what they saw and heard on their visit.
    John

3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Sorry but have to disagree we've been using Alan Rogers for years all over Europe and never had a problem. Admittedly with the huge number of sites listed there must be a few dodgy ones and it sounds like you've been unlucky but on the whole we find it a great guide.

We only use;
    Alan Rogers
    ACSI
    All Aires

Used to carry loads of different reference books but for the last few found just those 3 are more than adequate.
    :thumb::thumb:

4. makems

makems Funster Life Member

The AR book was one of the first guides we bought. The sites we chose from it were admittedly all of a good standard but did tend to be expensive.
    then we discovered Aires and have never used the AR book since.

5. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

we,ve used alan rogers since the 80,s on and off, only one site i wouldn,t go back to again ,l'estartit ,crow scarer going off in the next field,not always very expensive ,a great guide for first timers and the experienced, sorry you had a bad experience and i would agree report it .