Alabama Rot disease in New Forest - still an issue?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Oriel, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Oriel

Oriel

I didn't want to hi-jack the New Forest thread which is currently on the forum so thought it better to post separately.

We love the New Forest and would love to stay there but are worried about the Alabama Rot disease which has killed around 40 dogs. Does anyone know for sure if the disease is still an issue there?

2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

If it's the same as many other places like Sandringham here in Norfolk then there are still annual warnings being posted.

3. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

I think it is a seasonal disease, with many more cases in the winter wetter months. We wouldn't have risked our Dalmatian in September without feeling the risk to be low at that time, I am not sure about any later in the year though.

4. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

There's a warning still in place on t'interweb :/

5. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Alabama Rot is in many parts of the country now. Best avoid wet wooded areas. I 'stupidly' forgot and went down there about 6 weeks ago. One of my dogs was very poorly within days and the vet suggested testing for it. I was horrified at not having remembered about it. As it is, it wasn't AR, but then again they don't know what it is/was. Two different vets, antibiotics and a very, very poorly dog led to me thinking twice about going there or anywhere that is wet woodland.