LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We have a factory fitted Alko towbar on our 2013 Bolero. A great bit of kit but it would be great if I could leave the the towball bit fitted, but it would no doubt be nicked. Question is: has anybody seen a lock available to secure this. Al-Ko don't seem to want to answer my Emails so probably don't do one. Good opportunity for a bright engineer!
Cheers
Bernie

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Prob not replied for the same reason I cant help
Iv,e no idea what your talking about :Doh:who knows what type of the many Alko tow bar has been fitted to your van:Sad: if its 2013 not many folk will have even seen one
Why you want to leave it fixed in place is your choice but pics or a full description of how it fits and or is removed will maybe result in more suitable answers and a good solution

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry Geo. Alko only make one" type approved" towbar for the Alko chassis fitted to many motorhomes including Swift/Bessie. The "swan neck part is removeable similar to many cars but unlike cars there is no built in lock. For example my Land rover Discovery 3 had a key to be able to take off the swan neck ball. The alko can be removed by anyone in 5 seconds without any tools hence my question on locks. The reason I would prefer to leave it attached is simply to offer some protection to the rear of the motorhome. You want to see some folks parking skills!
Hope this is a bit clearer.
Thx
Bernie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
why not just have it welded, easy solution, a couple of spot welds where needed, then unstealable:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ah so it's one of those lift and pull jobbies
Yes simple DIY solution
Make up a clamp with two plates and two nut-n-bolts and clamp onto the tow bar in such a manner as to prevent the lifting action reqd
IE block part of the removal process :thumb:
Geo

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Not sure if this is of help, but I have a similar problem with a different type of attachment which needs to come off when I get home. I put a bolt with a nut and a locking nut on it. This assumes that your current hitch uses clip/pins to hold it on.
If however you never want to take it off alfandm is right weld it or if you don't have access to this equipment bolt it and hammer the end of the bolt over so it can't be undone.
Hope some of this may help ..:Smile:

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Boys for your help. I now feel I have some options. What a great set of folks on here!
Thanks again
Cheers
Bernie.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
HAVING NEVER SEEN ONEWITHOUT A LOCK I CAN ONLY ASSUME IT,S THE SAME DESIGN AS THE CAR VERSION WITH AN ELONGATED KNOB WHICH YOU TURN TO REMOVE.

SIMPLY REMOVE THE KNOB AND YOU CAN REFIT LATER IF IT NEEDS TAKING OFF.

sorry for the caps...caplock on and didnt realise :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back