LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I am hoping that the corporate brain of MHFun can help.

After seeing the Akura 20" TV/DVD combo in Hughes I rushed out and bought one. I had reviously had a 19" model but the dvd was nackered and they did not have another as I has brought the last one. The 19" model worked fine on 12v but the 20" does not.

When connecting the 20" model to 12v it powers up but the screen is in black and white and the tuner will not decode the signal. Measuring the tip of the cord shows 12.8v. The ac/dc converter suppile with the set shows 13.4v. If I connect ehu and switch on the onboard battery charger then the TV works fine in the 12v socket.

If I connect the TV via an inverter then the MH control panel shows a drain on the battery of 5.8 amp, The inverter drains 0.9A itself, so the TV is draining at about 5.0A.

I realy wanted to use the TV direct from the battery if possible, has anyone any ideas? Could there be a large enough drop in the 12v wiring to prevent the TV from operating?

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Roadrunner,

Yes it is set to PAL and everything works on 240v and via inverter. Its only on 12v that it does not work

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Could there be a large enough drop in the 12v wiring to prevent the TV from operating?

The short answer is YES

5A is a quite a heavy load so it all depends on the size of the 12 volt wiring and what length they are.

The cable needs to be a short as possible and as thick as possible, sorry I won't risk doing the maths at this time of night but I'm sure there'll be someone along in a mo who is still awake :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I've done some more invetigating and found that when the TV is switched one the voltage at the plug drops to 8.3v hence the tele not working. It looks like I shall have to renew the wiring to the socket direct from the battery.

The only problem now is what gauge wire to use. The run will be 3-4 mtr long

Any electrical mathematicians out ther got any recommendations?

Thanks

Lunarman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back