Aires__Yes or No

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by majo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. majo

majo Read Only Funster

Can a 5th wheeler use an aire
    Providing the aire is big enough why is it frowned upon. If the criteria is being self contained with regard to carrying fresh, grey and black water, it qualifies. If it remains coupled to the tow truck, it can drive off instantly. I can see no basic reason why it would not be acceptable
    I await.your comments
    Majo

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

officially No......aires are specifically for 'camping-car' use only.......but you will see some.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wasp

wasp Funster

I am not sure but they qualify as caravans for some reason so are frowned upon also as you rightly mention length may be a problem No doubt someone with greater knowledge than me will be along to tell you for sure:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi have used loads of airres with mine never been asked to mover and have stayed on a few several days . havent done it for about 4 yrs as i now catch the ferry to spain . cheaper than driving through spain and saves the mileage for use in maroc .also used teardrop caravans in them behind my old vw. its france . i once stopped at roscoff for months .there was a caravan there and a french m,home .the postman used to bring out mail save us going to the post office for poste restante.

• Like Like x 1
  5. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

have seen the odd one in aires

I have seen an odd one or two in aires.. I know it says camping car only and the sign is very clear, but as long as you do not set up the table and chairs you should be OK.. most people just use them for one or two nights as intend.

Bob

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Stay hitched up, you MIGHT get away with it!:BigGrin:

7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I have to agree with John...I would say No...we have been on hundreds of Aires and I have never seen a 5ers on a French Aire......but we have seen several cars with caravans being asked to go / leave the Aire by the police.:Doh:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes it would, if that were the criteria.. but it isn't.. ...

plenty of campervans don't have black or grey tanks.. some I've seen are little more than a tranny van with a mattress thrown in the back ..:RollEyes:

as said it's camping cars only ..

• Like Like x 1
  9. jezport

jezport Funster

Its an articulated motorhome not a caravan:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

unfortunately to you it might be articulated but its not .you could say all caravans and cars are articulated but they arent in the sense of traffic law. the trailer must put at least twenty % of its load on to the owing unit to be articulated.
    but take no notice of the rest on here go and give it a try . they are only jealous that they havent got a fiver, used sensibly you possibly will be left alone keep an mmm with you they class them as a 5th wheel motor home . but i hardly ever have been asked to move only a few times in spain and a few in maroc and then i can say wasnt ideal places . others were asked as well in campers . i,m sure you will have no problem finding somewhere to park. like i say the others would really like one but havent got one .hee hee.

11. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

And it's the same here, ie, we've never seen caravans or fivers on any Aires.

It's not just the French Aires that exclude caravans/fivers.
    In Germany, we were on a Stellplatz next to a large car park, which was occupied by some travellers in very smart cars towing equally smart but large caravans. The local bobbies patrolled the area on a regular basis, and when any loud music came about from these travellers, the bobbies were there in a flash, parked up and watching. There was never any bother, but the travellers were not permitted to enter the Stellplatz with their caravans.

Regards,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I've seen caravans kicked off aires before. In my ignorance I would class a 5th wheel as a caravan. The living area is towed and separate from the part of the vehicle with the engine.

they are also too big for most of the aires I stop on in small villages.

• Like Like x 1
  13. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Wishful thinking.......:Wink:

Aires in France are for "Camping Cars", that's motorhomes, not caravans.

You can chance your arm, if you turn up late and leave early at a sleepy Aire, you may be ok, but remember they are not for caravans or Fivers, which are just even bigger caravans.....:RollEyes:

Callum

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

We have travelled a lot in France, usually spending 1-2 weeks getting down to Spain, used lots of Aires, no problem, always left it hooked up.
    Only once asked to leave mainly because it was July and the site was full, but were alowed to stay that one night, which is all we wanted anyway. Go for it, if you are not allowed on one late at night use a lorry park.
    JK

• Like Like x 1
  15. patyogi

patyogi Read Only Funster

aires to be or not too

If the aires is big enough just park neatly and chill, the police are ok if they ask you to move just do it, smiling.
    Sometimes, nearly always you'll get away with it! It's not like the UK, charging £11 in motorway pitstops for overnighters, they want you in the villages and towns.

They will tell you don't worry. Just don't put yer washin out!!:RollEyes:

16. majo

majo Read Only Funster

Some very interesting replies which seem to be equally divided in opinion. Thanks for the interest.
    I think that as I will only be looking for safe aire parking in France during the winter, I will take a chance and smile and move on if asked, after showing my insurance certificate, which amusingly classifies the complete rig as a "motor home"
    Majo :RollEyes:

17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The rules and facilities are there for the benefit of camping cars only, any exception just leads to more infringement and hostility

• Like Like x 2
  18. chipspie

chipspie Funster

Hey mate sorry but aires are just for motorhomes not caravans which is what a fifth wheel is just a different hitch thats all. sell it and get a motorhome you will love it caravans are for gypos.

19. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Your not alone my 5thwheel is classed as a motorhome as well, we have only used 1 aire and funnily enough it was a brit that was upset by the fact we were there not the french or german that was also there, they are ok for an overnight on route type thing more rural ones are better than some that are popular (which at times give the impression of sardines in a tin)