Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Can a 5th wheeler use an aire
Providing the aire is big enough why is it frowned upon. If the criteria is being self contained with regard to carrying fresh, grey and black water, it qualifies. If it remains coupled to the tow truck, it can drive off instantly. I can see no basic reason why it would not be acceptable
I await.your comments
Majo

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I am not sure but they qualify as caravans for some reason so are frowned upon also as you rightly mention length may be a problem No doubt someone with greater knowledge than me will be along to tell you for sure:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi have used loads of airres with mine never been asked to mover and have stayed on a few several days . havent done it for about 4 yrs as i now catch the ferry to spain . cheaper than driving through spain and saves the mileage for use in maroc .also used teardrop caravans in them behind my old vw. its france . i once stopped at roscoff for months .there was a caravan there and a french m,home .the postman used to bring out mail save us going to the post office for poste restante.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
have seen the odd one in aires

I have seen an odd one or two in aires.. I know it says camping car only and the sign is very clear, but as long as you do not set up the table and chairs you should be OK.. most people just use them for one or two nights as intend.

Bob

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Stay hitched up, you MIGHT get away with it!::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
officially No......aires are specifically for 'camping-car' use only.......but you will see some.

I have to agree with John...I would say No...we have been on hundreds of Aires and I have never seen a 5ers on a French Aire......but we have seen several cars with caravans being asked to go / leave the Aire by the police.:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If the criteria is being self contained with regard to carrying fresh, grey and black water, it qualifies.
Majo

yes it would, if that were the criteria.. but it isn't.. ...

plenty of campervans don't have black or grey tanks.. some I've seen are little more than a tranny van with a mattress thrown in the back ..:RollEyes:

as said it's camping cars only ..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unfortunately to you it might be articulated but its not .you could say all caravans and cars are articulated but they arent in the sense of traffic law. the trailer must put at least twenty % of its load on to the owing unit to be articulated.
but take no notice of the rest on here go and give it a try . they are only jealous that they havent got a fiver, used sensibly you possibly will be left alone keep an mmm with you they class them as a 5th wheel motor home . but i hardly ever have been asked to move only a few times in spain and a few in maroc and then i can say wasnt ideal places . others were asked as well in campers . i,m sure you will have no problem finding somewhere to park. like i say the others would really like one but havent got one .hee hee.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have to agree with John...I would say No...we have been on hundreds of Aires and I have never seen a 5ers on a French Aire......but we have seen several cars with caravans being asked to go / leave the Aire by the police.:Doh:
And it's the same here, ie, we've never seen caravans or fivers on any Aires.

It's not just the French Aires that exclude caravans/fivers.
In Germany, we were on a Stellplatz next to a large car park, which was occupied by some travellers in very smart cars towing equally smart but large caravans. The local bobbies patrolled the area on a regular basis, and when any loud music came about from these travellers, the bobbies were there in a flash, parked up and watching. There was never any bother, but the travellers were not permitted to enter the Stellplatz with their caravans.

Regards,

Jock.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've seen caravans kicked off aires before. In my ignorance I would class a 5th wheel as a caravan. The living area is towed and separate from the part of the vehicle with the engine.

they are also too big for most of the aires I stop on in small villages.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Its an articulated motorhome not a caravan:Smile:

Wishful thinking.......:winky:

Aires in France are for "Camping Cars", that's motorhomes, not caravans.

You can chance your arm, if you turn up late and leave early at a sleepy Aire, you may be ok, but remember they are not for caravans or Fivers, which are just even bigger caravans.....:RollEyes:

Callum

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
We have travelled a lot in France, usually spending 1-2 weeks getting down to Spain, used lots of Aires, no problem, always left it hooked up.
Only once asked to leave mainly because it was July and the site was full, but were alowed to stay that one night, which is all we wanted anyway. Go for it, if you are not allowed on one late at night use a lorry park.
JK

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
aires to be or not too

If the aires is big enough just park neatly and chill, the police are ok if they ask you to move just do it, smiling.
Sometimes, nearly always you'll get away with it! It's not like the UK, charging £11 in motorway pitstops for overnighters, they want you in the villages and towns.

They will tell you don't worry. Just don't put yer washin out!!:RollEyes:

OP
OP
majo

majo

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Some very interesting replies which seem to be equally divided in opinion. Thanks for the interest.
I think that as I will only be looking for safe aire parking in France during the winter, I will take a chance and smile and move on if asked, after showing my insurance certificate, which amusingly classifies the complete rig as a "motor home"
Majo :RollEyes:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The rules and facilities are there for the benefit of camping cars only, any exception just leads to more infringement and hostility

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Hey mate sorry but aires are just for motorhomes not caravans which is what a fifth wheel is just a different hitch thats all. sell it and get a motorhome you will love it caravans are for gypos.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Some very interesting replies which seem to be equally divided in opinion. Thanks for the interest.
I think that as I will only be looking for safe aire parking in France during the winter, I will take a chance and smile and move on if asked, after showing my insurance certificate, which amusingly classifies the complete rig as a "motor home"
Majo :RollEyes:

Your not alone my 5thwheel is classed as a motorhome as well, we have only used 1 aire and funnily enough it was a brit that was upset by the fact we were there not the french or german that was also there, they are ok for an overnight on route type thing more rural ones are better than some that are popular (which at times give the impression of sardines in a tin)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back