Free Member
Oct 26, 2010
spain 6 mths england 6 mt
Funster No
MH
fifth wheel and truck
Exp
Just finishing our third year of travelling through Spain and France to UK
Hi all, we have not yet taken the plunge but are very keen to buy a fifth wheel. Have just bought the Aires guide to Spain and Portugal and read that these areas are only for Motorhomes not caravans! Does that mean a fifth wheel cannot use them?
Confused. Side and Dave

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Used Aires extensively over past few years and can honestly say I have never seen a fith wheeler on any of them.
You usually park in bays - similar to a car park and I don't think that there would be room for a fifth wheeler unless you unhooked and parked in the bay next door taking up 2 spaces. In a popular Aire you are lucky to find one space let alone 2 next to each other!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We have had a fifth wheeler for five years and used for 9 months of the year in France, Spain & Portugal. We have occasionally used aires in France en route, for overnight stops only, without problem but would not detach the the pickup.

This use has always been midweek & out of season and the aires have been chosen with care as access to & size of aires limits choice.

The last comment applies to many sites, especially in Spain and Portugal, where access difficulties and pitch size severely limit choice.

5'ers are good for many things but, in my opinion, unless carefully chosen and equipped for freecamping they are not suitable for multiple stop exploratory touring.

In short they are not motorhomes and difficulties will follow if you try to use them as motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back