LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Just had a quick play on the site, looks like a good resource (y)

Thanks for posting, I think I'll find it useful. Didn't seem to be any need to sign up for anything.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
what a terrible web site, and awful server.. it crashed several times while browsing

no information or contact details.. do you know who owns it ?

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

from what I did see it has nothing new.. mostly stuff from other data sets

for that reason.. am oot

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All it seems to be is an amateur site built around a Google Map with I assume other people's databases on them.

Nothing new. Not for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mother Ship

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
It well might be other peoples databases but the usefulness is having them all in one place to search. Also I have never seen such a comprehensive list of pub stopovers. The more you get familiar with how site works and what it can show on map you will see its capabilities which I admit aren't apparent on first using. On clicking on hotspots and you will see list.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If whoever it is wants people to use it they need to pay for some proper hosting and bandwidth.

Far to slow and clunky for me to even play with it at the moment, never mind try and use it.

As an aside I wonder if he or she has permission from the owners of all those databases to reproduce them?

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Mother Ship

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
If whoever it is wants people to use it they need to pay for some proper hosting and bandwidth.

Far to slow and clunky for me to even play with it at the moment, never mind try and use it.

As an aside I wonder if he or she has permission from the owners of all those databases to reproduce them?
I have been playing with it on my iPhone and not experiencing any slowness or crashing.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The website is registered to [name removed on request of site owner but can be ] based in Aquitaine, France.
But as others have said they need to upgrade their servers. :) Can't comment on it until it works.

Edit: 14/02/2016. 0700 Name removed by request.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Been back on with iPad, and no crashing or slowness problems for me...used the 2 finger technique to zoom in the map, put finger on a pub site icon to find out more, and the little window popped up, then put my postcode in to get directions and all worked perfectly, smoothly, and first time.

I've not tried on Mac or windows so maybe it's better suited to mobile technology?

Oh, just for the record, the sites nothing to do with me so my positive comments have no ulterior motive, just a reflection of what I found when I went on the site..

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Works fine for me on my iPad
Chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Finally managed to check an aire that I'm familiar with...

information is wrong ..

If you have been here you will know it has: fresh water, drive over grey dump and black Elsan point.. Free

Roullet-Saint-Estephe

D210 ,16440 Roullet-Saint-Estèphe,France
Latitude: 45.580410 | Longitude: 0.044720
To From

Small aire near river, picnic tables, quiet spot - no services
Type: Aire, Cost:0, Wifi:No

and they all have links to a well known travel blog
Related blog post:
http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/03/whistle-stop-tour-of-france-were-home.html

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks to @wanderingyp for posting this, however I can't help but agree with those who have described the site as outdated and unreliable
To me it looks like another one of those 'dead' websites, which was somebody's brainchild, which has now fallen by the wayside.
Can't see why you'd want to use it when Campercontact is available for Desktop PC's and Phones (as an app)
I think we should get behind Campercontact and help fill in the occasional gap, or add new sites that we find.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
what a terrible web site, and awful server.. it crashed several times while browsing

no information or contact details.. do you know who owns it ?

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

from what I did see it has nothing new.. mostly stuff from other data sets

for that reason.. am oot
Yeah that's what I found, anyway it's never going to hold a candle to this one
http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
The first one I looked at - Boulogne-sur-Mer - information on FreshAire.co.uk said FREE overnight stopover - I don't think so!

And you're right scotjimland - the info is wrong and Roullet does have fresh water and waste disposal services.

Thanks to the OP for the link - but I'll stick with CamperContact.

OP
OP
Mother Ship

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Thanks to @wanderingyp for posting this, however I can't help but agree with those who have described the site as outdated and unreliable
To me it looks like another one of those 'dead' websites, which was somebody's brainchild, which has now fallen by the wayside.
Can't see why you'd want to use it when Campercontact is available for Desktop PC's and Phones (as an app)
I think we should get behind Campercontact and help fill in the occasional gap, or add new sites that we find.
I do use the excellent Campercontact but would use this as a first look up for Pub stops, Accessory shops, Garage/Repairs, Water, Toilets, Services only, Municipal, ACSI, P Motorhome Wild, Wild Camping Map, McDonalds(for WiFi not food!!!) Attractions, Supermarkets. Very useful to see all on map if in area not visited before or enroute.

Also just for the record, the sites nothing to do with me so my positive comments have no ulterior motive, just a reflection of what I found when I went on the site and will be useful to me so sharing just in case any use to anyone else.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
lso just for the record, the sites nothing to do with me so my positive comments have no ulterior motive, just a reflection of what I found when I went on the site and will be useful to me so sharing just in case any use to anyone else.

please don't take my criticism personally.. it is levelled at the site.. and I always say as I find..

thanks for posting

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back