Aires, not that impressed really... (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I contacted Campercontact last week to ask about English translations on the App and they replied to say that they are looking to add this, which would be a great improvement, as in all other respects the App is better than the web version

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We just done 3 weeks in 4 countries and only used 1 Aire and 1 car park with a couple of others (Germans) only cos the campsite up the road was locked up for the night, we stayed on the pub car park by the New Dover Road Aire as we couldnt get on (packed in like sardines) the nice lady at the pub said "no problem just park around the back in the corner out the way" refused to have any money from us.. Its nice to find a nice clean site with all the things needed at hand, we love sight seeing and if the area offers much more we stay longer otherwise we just hit the road with the map out - and who could ever not like listening to this while touring about ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't get it, you drive from Aire to Aire and seemingly never stay anywhere for more than one or two nights, so your either driving or your in the Aire!:doh:

Do you actually ever see anything, other than through your cab window?:RollEyes:

Do you get home a "Whiter Shade of Pale" than when you left?:laughing:

Should be some good Daily Quiz results today, it's all about what you can see through a window.;)

:cooler:
Well even if it was true at least it's better than sitting by a pool full of other folks or looking at the back of a toilet block for a week.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Which Link? Can't see nufink on info page...
Go into Info, bottom of screen, tap on About this app and the link should be highlighted.
image.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've just spent a pleasant night at the aire at Guilvinec, Brittany. A car park but plenty of room and virtually in the town centre beside the fishing port. #19272 in CamperContact. It isn't in our copy of All the Aires but it might be in the latest edition. It deserves to be. €4 a night plus €2 for water this morning. Only downside was the weather. We got soaked yesterday afternoon!

We've now moved about 20km up the coast to another waterside aire at Audierne, #159 in the Aires book. Weather hasn't improved much, it rained again a few moments after I took this picture.

OI000171.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've just spent a pleasant night at the aire at Guilvinec, Brittany. A car park but plenty of room and virtually in the town centre beside the fishing port. #19272 in CamperContact. It isn't in our copy of All the Aires but it might be in the latest edition. It deserves to be. €4 a night plus €2 for water this morning. Only downside was the weather. We got soaked yesterday afternoon!

We've now moved about 20km up the coast to another waterside aire at Audierne, #159 in the Aires book. Weather hasn't improved much, it rained again a few moments after I took this picture.

View attachment 76466
That's how useing Aires should be , you are not traveling all day as someone remarked, maybe an hour and you are in a new place , maybe a small town or village and a day sightseeing is all you need , a nice restaurant or bar for dinner and relax all evening , if it's somewhere that needs another day to get round everything , so be it,stay another day, if you've done it move on .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We usually aim at travelling 2 or 3 hours a day, never more than 4, then finding an aire, parking up and exploring. Sometimes we stay one night, sometimes longer. I think we see far more of wherever we are then someone sat on a campsite looking at a pool for a week would.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We do mainly campsites NicNic, find a pitch an go off exploring on bikes/foot and have never sat looking at a pool yet !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

View attachment 76466

nice spot..wrong time of year

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I was an avid airer but am gradually changing to village centres for overnighting - nearly always greeted with a smile and frequently find myself invited to share drinks/meals/boules - the Real France.
We too have experienced some wonderful local hospitality. Usually on the teeny campsites in quiet villages. Got plied with free ancient liqueur a few weeks ago and owner refused to accept a penny for it. Had great fun even when the storm began and the few that we were pelted into our own little spaces. Agree that is the real France and quite lovely :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
the municipal campsites in France can be fantastic value and in really nice spots. not all singing dancing, but even in high summer surprisingly reasonable prices. I like to stretch out under an awning, on a patch of grass in bare feet, bbq on, drink in hand etc...

Its the outdoor life that attracted us to camping in the first place....Better then being stuck inside a van on an packed Aire on a lovely summer evening any day!
There are indeed some wonderful municipal campsites, usually a lovely area too. May think about getting the book or an app for them.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We have found its inland aires that are the best often just a couple of spaces on grass next to a nice river with benches and tables some are larger city center along side canals and rivers often free or very cheap
if your on the coast i think due to demand for lots of spaces they do tend to be of the concrete car park types and often busy especially in the peak season and some are nearly as expensive as a site
i think this is often the reason some love them and some hate them
then there are what we call traveling aires not far from main routes often carpars or even a couple of parking spaces outside a rail station purely there to be used on route
Yes I think you're right there, the ones we have liked have been inland, mainly Brittany, quiet by a canal etc. We are mostly always down South and near the coast and so that's probably why we haven't found one we like very much and why they're only a euro or 2 cheaper than an acsi. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't get it, you drive from Aire to Aire and seemingly never stay anywhere for more than one or two nights, so your either driving or your in the Aire!:doh:

Do you actually ever see anything, other than through your cab window?:RollEyes:

Do you get home a "Whiter Shade of Pale" than when you left?:laughing:

Should be some good Daily Quiz results today, it's all about what you can see through a window.;)

:cooler:
No you "don't get it"! We use aires and wild camp (or whatever you want to call it), all the time, we don't drive straight from one aire to another, we explore as we travel, taking in lovely villages, views, scenery etc, stopping to explore them, then go to an aire at or near wherever we end up. I know some MHers do travel from aire to aire with nothing in between but that's not for us, part of the holiday is seeing stuff as we travel, not just at the final destination of the day.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Surely it depends on how far apart the aires are when you're touring doesn't it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back