Aires in the UK

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by donnkim, Jun 13, 2014.

1. donnkim

donnkim Read Only Funster

Hi
    We are in tbe Basque area in France enjoying wonderful weather.
    Got Chatting to a Brit caravaner - as you do - and he told me that the EU wanted to introduce the French Aire system into the UK. However, the CC and CCC lobbied to stop this in its tracks as it would damage their Business.
    What do other members think about this? :Cool:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

First time I've heard any claim that the EU wanted to introduce the French Aire system into the UK. Unless the caravanner (or anyone else) can produce evidence to back the claim I would take it with a very large pinch of salt.

• Like Like x 4
  3. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Aires in UK

This is not the only issue in which the CC and C&CC need their heads banged together :Blush::Blush:

4. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

If it did ever happen , how long would it be before the freeloading tossers spoilt it like they do at many other parking spots

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I think the Brit caravanner has been out in the sun too long .. been at the cheap vino .. or more likely both ...

• Like Like x 3
  6. steve and jo

steve and jo Read Only Funster

if this was to happen it would ready made sites for the gypsy travelers.

7. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Travellers are not restricted to the UK France and Germany have problems with them too. But they have stronger eviction laws in both countries and the police can and do deal with them very robustly.

As regards the original post I too think the comment should be taken with a handful of salt; although I do think there are forces combined against the introduction of the system into the UK and I do think local camp site owners have a strong lobby against an Aire system

Norman

Norman

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Saw in local paper last winter that Weymouth council wants to open an Aire. Not sure if it's happening or not.

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

no, as there have been objections from local businesses:Doh:

unfortunately the local campsites dont want competition from a no frills type aire for some reason:Laughing:

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Had the caravanner been gassed as well?!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  11. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

1. It would seem that overnight MH parking in council car parks is already possible in the UK within existing laws, for example Canterbury, Chester, Machynlleth, so I'm not sure why the EU would need to intervene.

2. What did he mean by 'the EU' anyway? None of the aires in Europe are EU operated.

There might be a case for standardising the parking regulations across the EU, so long as the powers of eviction for illegal parking could also be strengthened here. I've seen dedicated traveller parking areas in France, and have rarely seen travellers on an aire. The only exception is the forest aire at Biscarrosse-Plage where the 'new age' travellers (in very old age vehicles) often set up in one corner for the summer, but they tend to keep themselves to themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It is perfectly true that overnight MH habitation (let's be honest and not just call it parking) in council car parks is already possible in the UK within existing laws. It is also true that some car parks are unsuitable for various reasons.

Where car parks are suitable then councils need to be shown that:
    1) making the necessary investment is potentially viable.
    2) the potential users are not people who will adversely affect the business of large caravan sites because they seek places with few facilities so would, instead, use CLs &c.

13. chaser

chaser Funster

To be honest, we don't like paying to stay anywhere, but don't see what is init for ordinary towns in uk, we have everything we need on board, so letting us park for free would get them nothing, apart from possibly supermarkets where we could park for free anyway while useing them, and who just wants to look at a car park while parked up, uk is totally different to France where the aires are in the middle of countryside, vines, canels rivers, loads of room for them, and a totally different way of life, and dare I add a completly different attitude to travelers, here aires would be took over in a day and would be closed for months while trying to move them.

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In some cases that would be so but there are relatively few council owned car parks or park & ride sites which attract the attentions of "travellers". That should not be any different if overnight MH habitation were to be allowed.

15. chaser

chaser Funster

No I don't agree, car parks and park and rides are manned while in use and you can't stop at night or cook or anything, once travelers, or anyone else for that matter, had stopped for the night and got their stuff out on a piece of ground as they do in other places now, how do you move them, the police wouldn't dare, so what are you left with:Eeek:

16. chaser

chaser Funster

Please don't think I am against uk aires , totally for them , but looking at the practicalities , no way they would work, plus that cc and ccc are not going to have them in there back garden either.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The question of "traveller" incursion arose when we were discussing the allowing of overnight habitation at Guisborough with Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council. It was pointed out that there had never been such a problem there in the several decades that the coach park had been open (despite problems on other sites (not car parks) in the borough). Whilst it was open there were no "traveller" problems; trouble was too few motorhomers used it :cry:

I haven't heard of any such problems at Canterbury, Chester, Machynlleth &c. There have been "traveller" incursions at Cambridge P&R sites though and that is why only Trumpington can be used by motorhomes. Problems vary across the country which is why only some would suffer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

That's maybe because they didn't want to park on a coach park but give them something that is halfway decent to park on , then see what happens:Eeek:

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

But that's all Canterbury, Chester, Machynlleth &c are really.

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Two Nations .. France and the UK.. different travelling traditions..

There are only 112,000 motorhomes compared to 498,000 touring caravans registered in the UK .. that figure is probably now 500,000

Traditionally the UK has been a camping and caravanning nation.. hence the number of camping sites. Clubs for caravanners have been going for decades. but now some touring sites are changing to bungalows and statics..

so, sites change to suite the demand.. so maybe the demand for aries will cause change.. but you cannot force change on councils.. or private site owners.. there has to be a genuine demand, (not just a few freeloaders protesting.) . it has to be shown that they would be a benefit to the town .. and not just as a convenience for the users.

On the other hand France is a motorhoming nation .. hence their facilities are geared up to the needs of the camping car .. ie .. aires camping car, with fewer facilities for caravans and tents.

Why that is so I have no idea... blame Napoleon .. he can't argue .. :Laughing:

but Mr Stangeways is not doing any good.. he, AFAIK, doesn't even own a motorhome.. he enjoys the battle.. enjoys beating the local council, enjoys the limelight.. (he's in Wiki )

not interested in 'the cause' or who it damages... just self.. :RollEyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 4