bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Compel councils to provide Aires within their towns for the use of Motorhomes.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Compel councils to provide Aires within their towns for the use of Motorhomes.
The sentiment is well meant but it isn't going to happen. The subject has been much discussed here and the best advice seems to be it needs to be tackled at a local level. If you know of somewhere which might make a good aire try and persuade the local council to make it one, but given the pressures on local council budgets don't expect too much. Also, any proposal needs to address the fears local people will have over "travellers" arriving en masse. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This stupid idea is still doing the rounds then.

The idiotic use of the word "compel" or any similar word makes the idea a non starter.

If it read something like "talk to and work with local authorities to determine if there is a demand, demonstrate the benefits and then identify possible sites" then it might have some mileage.

I can't help but think that whenever this resurfaces it's being driven by people whose only motivation is that they don't want to pay to park. I bet that if aires were universally provided at a cost of say £5-10 per night all of the people who sign this "petition" would still be rattling their keyboards demanding that they should be allowed to park wherever they like for free.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
There is a car park called Ram meadow in Bury St Edmunds which has designated a motorhome area. There are toilets next door, and its right in the middle of this beautiful town next to the abbey gardens as well.
A sensible council I would say.
Phil

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A well meaning if possibly naive suggestion torn to shreds by you pedantic know alls (nothing's). I would not blame this funster if they never used this site again..... Aggrieved and disappointed Toby.

It's something that's raised time and time again and does more harm than good. Whoever keeps starting the petition can't even be bothered to get basic facts correct in the wording.

There are a number of people on this site who are very knowledgeable on this subject and whose work has in some cases achieved results. All this does is hinder their efforts.

Torn to shreds? Maybe. Deserved? Probably. A quick search will reveal how often this comes up.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A well meaning if possibly naive suggestion torn to shreds by you pedantic know alls (nothing's). I would not blame this funster if they never used this site again..... Aggrieved and disappointed Toby.
What about basic courtesy to other funsters? Doesn't that matter on this site? Words can sound very harsh when basic courtesies are ignored... Toby Trux
Which post(s) shows a lack of courtesy to the poster? All the negative comments have been regarding the petition and have been accurate.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is a car park called Ram meadow in Bury St Edmunds which has designated a motorhome area. There are toilets next door, and its right in the middle of this beautiful town next to the abbey gardens as well.
A sensible council I would say.
Phil
A welcome facility but I think "practical" is the word I would use, rather than "sensible".

St Edmundsbury Borough Council have had a viable demand demonstrated and have responded positively. It's a similar situation to that in Canterbury, Fylde and one or two others. Those councils have responded to the type of approach which @NickNic mentions "talk to and work with local authorities to determine if there is a demand, demonstrate the benefits and then identify possible sites". Other councils haven't received similar approaches.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Yes the basic courtesy needs to be addressed by yourself after being rude to people who post the truth on here, maybe the original poster might not use this site again, I use it for information about motorhomes and to date have not been rude to anyone, however, I have paid for this year but may not return if rudeness prevails.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I have only been motorhoming for just under a year now and up until very recently have enjoyed reading the questions and responses on this site.
I have noticed a recent tendency towards a lack tolerance and respect for other posters, some of which have caused Jim, the moderator, to become involved.

I, for one, have never seen a previous thread relating to UK Aires and was very interested to read/understand more about it. I will research other posts now for my own information.

I/WE can only assume that the original poster placed their post with the best of intentions but from the tone contained in some of the replies was treated in a disrespectful and demeaning manner.

I am absolutely not opposed to any contrary point of view, indeed I will defend any persons right to their freedom of expression but with that freedom comes the responsibility not to be abusive, offensive or demeaning. A simple and polite 'this has been covered elsewhere' post would have been sufficient and the OP would have been treated with the dignity and respect that I'm sure we ALL would like to be treated with.

Please, let's get back to the interesting, informative and FUN part of discourse on this forum and bin the demeaning and bullying elements of any replies.
Best regards to you ALL.
Nik

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes the basic courtesy needs to be addressed by yourself after being rude to people who post the truth on here, maybe the original poster might not use this site again, I use it for information about motorhomes and to date have not been rude to anyone, however, I have paid for this year but may not return if rudeness prevails.
If that is aimed at me please tell me where have I been rude.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And if any of the posts are aimed at me please explain where I have been rude to any poster?

I may well have been rude about the petition but make no apology for that because it's ridiculous.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I agree, the OP is new here and one or two of the responses were very blunt to put it mildly. It's FUN folks! :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Whilst posts #5 and #6 say the same thing, the tone is totally different. If you dissagree with a post or even think it is idiotic, a more pleasent tone works a whole lot better.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And if any of the posts are aimed at me please explain where I have been rude to any poster?

I may well have been rude about the petition but make no apology for that because it's ridiculous.
Post #7 above: "This stupid idea is still doing the rounds then." Which is rude about the petition but how do you think the OP interprets that remark? That they are guilty of propagating stupidity? That would be how I would read it.

Then look at the first sentence of your fourth paragraph in post #7. If that isn't directly rude to the OP then we must be on different planets. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Then look at the first sentence of your fourth paragraph in post #7. If that isn't directly rude to the OP then we must be on different planets.

How's the weather on Mars? (y)

Seriously, I can think of no other reason why otherwise apparently intelligent people feel the need to keep on and on rehashing such a badly and inaccurately worded thing as that petition. It wouldn't be so bad if the basic facts stated in the thing were correct.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whilst posts #5 and #6 say the same thing, the tone is totally different. If you dissagree with a post or even think it is idiotic, a more pleasent tone works a whole lot better.
Let's have a look at post #5, seeing as it was mine:
"The first post on this thread is blank" - completely accurate.
"but it appears from the second that it may refer to this idiotic petition." - completely accurate (including that the petition is idiotic).
" If that is the case then may I suggest searching older threads which demonstrate why it is a half baked, inaccurate, waste of time." - accurate advice.
None of those statements denigrate the poster or suggest he is idiotic, only that the petition is. They are also no more unpleasant in tone than the statement "Compel councils to provide Aires within their towns for the use of Motorhomes." (posted without further explanation and appearing at first glance to be an instruction).

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Let's have a look at post #5, seeing as it was mine:
"The first post on this thread is blank" - completely accurate.
"but it appears from the second that it may refer to this idiotic petition." - completely accurate (including that the petition is idiotic).
" If that is the case then may I suggest searching older threads which demonstrate why it is a half baked, inaccurate, waste of time." - accurate advice.
None of those statements denigrate the poster or suggest he is idiotic, only that the petition is. They are also no more unpleasant in tone than the statement "Compel councils to provide Aires within their towns for the use of Motorhomes." (posted without further explanation and appearing at first glance to be an instruction).
Then clearly this is a fine example of how people can and do read things differently. It was not suggested either that you criticised the poster or thought he was idiotic, but the very tone of the reply was, shall we say, totally different to that of #6 - accurate;)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Let us compel councils to reinstate "lollipop persons" who have been made redundant,even though they are at the heart of the "Tax Paying" local villages,towns.
Oh,hang on a minute,they....CANNOT afford to..... So,get yourself elected to Paignton,or wherever councils,and get it voted through,i will not be holding my breath.
Tea Bag

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Let's "compel" councils to provide, at their own expense, facilities for one legged, elderly Mexican LGBT people* on the basis of no evidence whatsoever that there is a demand.

*please insert your own minority of choice here. It doesn't matter which group you choose, the idea will be equally ridiculous.

Why should motorhomers be treated differently?

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Then clearly this is a fine example of how people can and do read things differently. It was not suggested either that you criticised the poster or thought he was idiotic, but the very tone of the reply was, shall we say, totally different to that of #6 - accurate;)
Yes, the tone differed (mainly in that it was so much briefer) but that does not mean that it was unpleasant.

I've lost count of the number of times I've commented on this petition and others in the more wordy tone of #6. I've even published papers on the facts (and a template for approaching councils) on my Motorhome Parking web site. It gets a bit wearing repeating the same facts time and again :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Yes, the tone differed (mainly in that it was so much briefer) but that does not mean that it was unpleasant.

I've lost count of the number of times I've commented on this petition and others in the more wordy tone of #6. I've even published papers on the facts (and a template for approaching councils) on my Motorhome Parking web site. It gets a bit wearing repeating the same facts time and again :)
It is obvious from your sig block the amount of work you have put into this topic and can fully understand how starting yet another ( what seems to be pointless) petition actually hinders rather than helps the situation and understand your frustration. Writing on forums can be difficult to express yourself fully especially when exasperated and your words can often be misinterpreted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back