Aires in france...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sb8263, May 2, 2014.

1. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

Can you tell me how the electric supply works on the Aires please ? i see some that say so much for 55 min,,,is this just to recharge the battery ?....hope i dont sound stupid,,but this is all new to me going abroad, i am used to going on a site and putting the cable in for the duration.....:Blush:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No hard and fast rule..

some are as you say.. you pay per hour to recharge or use whatever appliance you want .. others have an EHU that you are familiar with in the UK.. and some have no electric.
    The 'pay to use' EHU generally use a Jetton.. (token) which are usually available from local shops.. some use a €1 coin.

You may also find that the EHU point is a long way from your van.. so an extra cable may be needed.. I carry an extra 25mt extension on a drum..

On some aires during the peak period, there may not be enough EHU points for every van, when that happens you may be asked to share .. don't worry, the French usually carry a splitter socket.. and will piggy back onto yours.. I've seen this with three or more vans all sharing a single supply.

Plug types are generally the 16A blue type you are familiar with.. but you may come across the French two pin socket.. so carry an adapter to suit.

Reverse live and neutral ( commonly called reverse polarity) is also common. The French have double pole switches so they have no issue with this.. bear it in mind.. it won't cause damage.. but don't be tampering with the toaster still plugged in.. even when off at the socket.. it could still be live..
    If this is a worry..( it shouldn't be), carry a polarity tester and a short reverse polarity lead.. Personally I never give it a second thought.. others are anal about it .

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

We tend only to use the EHU on Aires for the Hairdryer. Usual cost where there is a Bourne to plug into has been 2 euro for 55mins/60mins or 2 hours. On some Aires you just plug in like a uk campsite and the electric is included in the cost of parking.
    We take an extension cable as has been said sometimes the electric point can be a fair distance away (La Suze sur Sarthe is one that springs to mind).

I always check the polarity with a tester and use a reversed polarity connector if needed just to be on the safe side.

4. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

You can always come to a site like ours, where your ehu is close to or even on your pitch, and a 16A supply at that! Overnight with Funster discount (available to all subscribing members) costs only 14,40€, and stay for a week we'll reduce this by 10%, so less than 13€ for a decent site with ehu. :thumb:

Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 3
  5. scotjimland

Good value Bob.. cheaper than some aires.. :thumb:

hard to believe but it's 6 years past since we stayed.... must revisit one day.. :Smile:

6. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

also bear in mind that there are a lot of aires that dont have any mains electricity supply whatsoever , so make sure your 12v onboard supply is all working as it should . regards garry .

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Nothing to add to ScotJimLand's comprehensive reply, apart from saying never assume that anything is available on the next aire you travel to, especially in summer. Treat available electricity as a bonus rather than a certainty.

8. scotjimland

very true...

you didn't mention running a genny ... :Wink:
    or how to win friends and piss off the French :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

All what Jim and magicsurbus has said I totally agree with...the ONE electric point on the borne is not meant for permanent usage 24hour daily...in many cases the 55mins to 2 hours is for charging your battery and as many of the French pull into Aires at dinner time for there dinner this could be used either for cooking or to watch a hour of TV... if there battery was flat as the French do like there TV .and a hour in the evening for the same reasons.....BUT there are Now many Aires that have a series of power points around the Aire and these can be used on the 24 hour basis ...UNLESS specified how many hours and for what the usage ....DO NOT always think because it says 16amp on the socket it will have a 16amp trip fuse inside...(the 16amp on the socket is its tested rating) the fuse could be 6amp....10amp...or even 16amp...but most likely the 6amp..and yes there are as may correct polarity as there are crossed polarity...even on the same electric post

10. Heyupluv

Jim....Mmm A lot of the French now have genies.....I think the old reason was if you don't have one yourself, or are a bit behind the times,.. or can not afford one,.. you always say what you have is the best and is just what you have always wanted..you complain...but in many cases, until you can get or can afford what the other chap has.......you complain and make him wish he had never purchased a genny in the first place....if that makes sense:Doh::RollEyes: this word springs to mind Jealousy...:Wink::Wink:...I have run my 1kw honda genny many times at the side of other French motorhomes on Aires....I always park away from others if I intend to run my genny..but many times they come and park at the side of me they look at and comment the VERY QUITE HONDA and commented on how little sound it makes...and I have never been asked to turn it off...BUT I always ask first ......but it is not used on a regular daily ...weekly...monthly.. it is on needy occasions

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You may also find on some aires that you can get 'free' electric, even if it is a pay one, as the previous occupant may not have used it all (if it's on a usage, rather than time, rate) - so sometimes it pays to check out all the available sockets and see if there is any 'credit' left ... we found this out by accident I hasten to add after we saw another (French) motorhomer switching his ehu lead from one to another until he was 'happy'!!! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

indeed Mel.. it was tongue in cheek:Wink:

I had a 2kw Honda .. and used it very occasionally on aires with no ehu .. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Au contrare mes ami !!!

I was happily charging up my batteries with the good ole Honda :thumb: on an aire when I espied a frog coming over:Angry:
    I assumed I was going to get some verbal from Johnny Foreigner:Angry:, but it transpired he wanted to plug in and supplied some vin rouge as a way of recompense !:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

We have a solar panel and twin leisure batteries which for us pretty much makes EHU's redundant!

15. Heyupluv

Love it steve:thumb:...things have changed

• Like Like x 1
  16. Heyupluv

Mel B!!!! what have I told you Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh never advertise it:Doh:

17. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

French aires

Sitting in French Aire at the moment. In St. Pol de Leon, in the back row, but still have a view of the bay. Ferry back to Plymouth tomorrow pm. Sun is shining so solar charging nicely.

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ooooppppppppssssss ....:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I've yet to use an EHU cable on an aire, and don't plan to. The driving and the solar panel are more than enough from Spring to Autumn.

20. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

can you buy the solar panel, and how do they connect to the leisure battery ?:Sad: