LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
a lots been said latly about aires in August, We dont normaly use them as we usualy travel in tandam with our older kids, them having a caravan and trailer tent. But this year thier going over on thier own so were taking a few days to chatch them up to meet for 9 days at a campsite, them thier making thier own way back and were going to do the slow fews day home trip.

So basicly 3 nights down to the Vendee (10-13 aug) and 3 nights back (22-25 aug), now to the piont I was planning to use aries (got the book, looked them up on google earth, put loads in my sat nav) but am I like to find them full.

I was aiming for the aire at La Fleche/Saumur/ somewhere after Cholet going down, them swing back up through Britanany possible le Harve/Deieppe/ then somewhere after Abbyville to Calias.

Am I correct in thinking arrive early? that coastal aires will be full so have backup plans?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Personally if I had your travel plans I'd head straight for Parc Puy du Fou at Les Eppesses (just past Cholet) on the way down, because it's France's second biggest visitor attraction after Disneyland and their aire is the hugest I've ever seen. I couldn't imagine not being able to find a space there at any time of the day. You're not obliged to pay for theme park entry, but it's well worth a look if you have the time.

If you're going anywhere near Le Havre/Pont de Normandie I reckon your best bet for similar reasons would be Honfleur, which is also a very big aire. However it's a popular place so don't leave it too late to arrive - we've usually been OK getting in there mid-late afternoon in summer. Dieppe is a bit of a detour off the autoroute unless you're catching the ferry from there, and it's a fairly basic seaside resort - Honfleur's got a bit more about it if you want an evening stroll.

For smaller aires my advice would be arrive mid-morning. We've holidayed in August for years and have rarely had problems finding an aire spot, even on the coast.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi,
you are quite right, aires are busting in August especially on the coasts. But inland they should be quieter.
La Fleche looks good but I haven't been there. But its a long haul for one day driving!
I'd aim for Marboue for my first day. A good stopover busy but no one stays long. Get there before 4pm.
Next, La Fleche as you've already noted looks good.
LA SÉGUINIÈRE near Cholet looks OK.
Coming back Bouchemaine on the Loire/Maine, near Angers is good but will be pretty crowded. Le Havre is a concrete jungle but Honfleur is a delight if you can get in!! But inland, SAINT ROMAIN DE COLBOSC looks good, so does SAINT NICOLAS DE LA TAILLE.
I don't think you'll get in to Dieppe even though there are two aires.
You could try Incheville inland or a nice little private aire at Favieres near Le Crotoy if Le Crotoy aires are full.
These are just a few of the hundreds available - a bit more choice that we offer back home;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are off tomorrow for 4 weeks and we will use a mixture of Aires and campsites as usual.
We regularly go over in August and have not had any problems getting on Aires.

Yes the coastal and scenic ones like Le Crotoy, Le Treport, La Mailleray sur Seine, Honfleur etc, can get busy, but just to try to arrive early mid afternoon for those.
Further inland they tend to be a bit quieter, even in August.....

Remember lots of folk, loke ourselves, are using them for just one or two nights stay, so every day folks move on, so there will be spaces at the right time, just don't expect to turn up at 8pm on a "busy" coastal" aire and still find a place. That would be taking a chance...

Have a great trip....(y)(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , We have used these plenty of room,
Aire: ST DENIS DU MAINE
ADDRESS: BASE DE LOISIRS "LA CHESNAIE", off D152

TEL:02 43 98 40 94 FAX: DITTO

EMAIL: mairie-st-denis-du-maine@wanadoo.fr

TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN

PRICES/ RATES:

PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE

OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR

GPS COORDS: N47.96631 W00.53256

DIRECTIONS: From LAVAL take D21 SOUTH & then D152 NORTH to ST DENIS. As you approach village, LAKE is on RIGHT & entrance to AIRE is RIGHT just before village.

SITE DESCRIPTION This pleasant municipal aire is situated on the southern side of the small village of St Denis (Pop.400) in a medium sized parking area on the Base de Loisirs, next to a large lake. There are ample parking spaces on hard standing around the lake with some shade in places, there is a play area & swimming is allowed in the lake in the summer. The aire is about 200m from the village where there are few facilities. Artisanal service point with drainage platform.

REVIEW:

2008 A very nice lakeside aire just outside the small rural village of St Denis with good emplacements overlooking the lake. The aire has a well designed drive-thru service point with 2 taps. There is a small campsite also next to the lake (closed when we visited). A quiet little village with an interesting 11th century church plus a couple of chateaux nearby. Bar/ restaurant & a butcher in village.

Link Removed
ST DENIS

Aire: CHATEAU GONTIER
ADDRESS: QUAI D'ALSACE, OFF RUE D'ALSCACE LORRAINE

TEL:02 43 09 55 55 FAX: 02 43 07 96 82

EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN / TOILETS / RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:

GPS COORDS: N47.82446 W00.70376

DIRECTIONS: From LAVAL take N162 SOUTH to CHATEAU GONTIER. Follow N162 around town & over river -- turn RIGHT at 1st roundabout & then 1st RIGHT to RIVER & AIRE.

SITE DESCRIPTION: A lovely waterside location, situated on a quay next to the River Mayenne on a tarmac parking area with a separate area for motorhomes having small trees providing some shade. The Aire with public gardens set behind it, has nice views over the river & is close to the town shops (250m), there is an adjacent Tourism booth & a Champion supermarket within 5 mins walk. The town has a good range of shops/ eating places with a street market on Thursday. The Artisanal service point with drainage grid is in the road next to the car park together with WC's.

REVIEW

2007 It's nice to spend a night right on the banks of the Mayenne yet close to the town centre & its amenities. The services & toilets appeared to be cleaned daily. A quiet night despite being next to a road & the bridge over the river.

2007 A lovely spot next to a river, convenient for re-stocking the cupboards (a supermarket + shops are only 5 mins away), good services.

2008 A good, popular aire but although it is quiet at night it suffers from traffic noise from about 6am onwards. There were several motorhomes parked opposite on the other side of the river, next to the cattle market which I suspect is a bit quieter. A nice town with good facilities & with nice walks/ cycling along the river towpath in both directions. Basic service point with fairly clean toilets adjacent.

Please NOTE!!!!!
Now the aire has moved to the opposite side of the river 47.824552, -0.701960
but the services still at this map ref,

Link Removed
CHATEAU GONTIER

And in brittany Campeneac nice little lakeside aire toilets are not useable but other than that nice aire

Aire: CAMPENEAC (3*)
ADDRESS: RUE DE LA FONTAINE, BORNE IS NEXT TO CHURCH

TEL: 02 97 93 40 39 FAX:

EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / TOILETS / RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:

PARKING: FREE/ 48 HOURS SERVICES: FREE

GPS COORDS: N47.95519 W02.28958

DIRECTIONS: Exit N24 WEST of RENNES to CAMPENEAC. On entering the village, turn LEFT opposite LAKE to the parking area. BORNE is outside WC's, next to EAST side of CHURCH.

SITE DESCRIPTION: The borne and the parking for this Aire are in two separate places in the village. Parking is at a picnic spot next to a small lake with some shade provided by trees, and only a short walk to the village & its' shops. The borne is on the east side of the Church, in the village centre, next to the public toilets. An Artisanal borne with platform drainage & rubbish bin. Black waste disposal is in the WC's. Access into the borne can be tight, as well as being in a one-way street.

REVIEW

We regularly use this Aire -- parking spot is very pleasant & quiet, overlooking the lake. Nice Boulangerie & other shops in the village. Access to the borne can be difficult for long vehicles.

Link Removed
CAMPENEAC

Well worth a visit !!! Fougeres aire gets busy so arrive around lunch time

Link Removed
Link Removed

Aire: FOUGERES (3*)
ADDRESS: PARKING, OFF BOULEVARD DE RENNES

TEL: 02 99 94 12 20 FAX: 02 99 94 77 30

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ TOILETS/ RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:

GPS COORDS: N48.35517 W01.21105

DIRECTIONS: Entering town from the WEST on N12, turn LEFT as you enter town at ROUNDABOUT next to CHATEAU. AIRE is in CAR PARK.

SITE DESCRIPTION A pleasant municipal aire located close to the centre of this old & interesting town. The aire is located in a large public car park next to the Chateau of Fougeres & bordered by mature trees giving good shade in places. Artisanal service point with drainage platform & rubbish bins.

REVIEW: Nice aire, close to old part of town but still on edge of town & close to large lake. Services basic but work ok. All shops & services in town, tourist train & well preserved chateau to visit. Aire is well frequented but also very popular with cars so busy in summer. Market on Saturday morning.

Link Removed
Fougeres
Link Removed

Link Removed
Fougeres
Link Removed
Link Removed
Hope these help Terry FIDGET

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!