Aires - can someone please explain why they think they are a good Ida? (1 Viewer)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
As I said earlier, we do use municipal sites. You are right in that one of the reasons we don't use aires is becausae of security but also we don't like being "crowded", we like to spread out and get comfortable, we don't like the thought that we may have to move on every couple of days whether we want to or not, we don't have to carry water for showers etc as we use the site facilities and finally, to be blunt, some of the aires we've seen look like car parks or worse.

Hi
To be fair-----Aires were never intended to replace campsites-----AFAIK they are only really intended for a night or two stop-over-----the problem is that too many people abuse them by treating them as campsites.
We have stopped on many---but never more than two--three nights-------------we usually have two or three to choose from in an area, if we don't like one we move to the next------BUT----we really try to avoid busy/popular areas so rarely find crowded ones-----if staying on a coastal popular spot it is usually just as well stopping on a campsite.
In the end--it's everyone to his own--
We have never (yet) had any security issues ------we have heard of very many on campsites though.
There are now a lot of small campsites calling themselves 'aires'----it gets confusing:(
We aim for the free ones where possible.:sneaky:
Nigel & Pamala

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Ideally the less people using aires the better! So stop trying to convince anyone they are good please :whistle:
I like them quiet
IMG_0519-XL.jpg

IMG_0516-XL.jpg

AND spacious
Gastes%2019-XL.jpg

I really ought to REMOVE that link in my signature :cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We went to France with the MH first time last September and stopped on two Aires on the way (€5.00 & £12.00) used Parkingcontacts App, both very good with MH service point the €12 had hookup too, but didn't find free parking Aires.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We went to France with the MH first time last September and stopped on two Aires on the way (€5.00 & £12.00) used Parkingcontacts App, both very good with MH service point the €12 had hookup too, but didn't find free parking Aires.
You weren't looking hard enough.:)
Comes down to what the local council policy is, one of our favorite areas the Massif Central nearly all the Aires are free apart from the odd private one.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Aires are terrible places to stay, full of people who will gas you in your sleep, most are jumped up car parks, all of them crammed tight with Foreign Johnnys, overflowing with waste and broken bottles and I would advise all of you to avoid using them!

Then I can have them all to myself - :france::france::france::france::france::france:

http://youtu.be/Y6Lz-bPvDjw

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
one of our favorite areas the Massif Central

That reminds me we were on our way to the Aire near the Puy de Dome in 2013 and we got stuck in a massive downfall of snow ................ never made it to the Aire so we parked up in a carpark and stayed 3 days!

Walked up to the top of the volcano, the views were awesome (y)

We also had the benefit of probably the best patisserie in the area being only 100 metres or so away :devil:

f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f3.jpg

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Thank you Lenny for a good tip.
We are planing to start touring intensively in Europe from the third quarter of 2015 and any recomended places to visit would be appreciated.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
YOLO

As the kids say.. Aires work for us and we love them, but we tour. If we want to holiday we fly and use apartments..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back