Aires - can someone please explain why they think they are a good Ida? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
or perfect peace in under a tree
DSC_5414(1).jpg

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
There again you could follow the sheep and try Crotoy ----friendly enough but too crowded for us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Crotoy 001 (Small).JPG
    Crotoy 001 (Small).JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 59

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Now where did that picture go ?? Thanks ScotJimland best I go read "how to insert picture" again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 53
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use aires and a variety of sites, municipal or private. A few aires we have moved on as we didn't like them, but we have also done this with private sites, some of them are quite dreadful and also expensive.
The big plus of aires is that they are usually sited close to the town or village we want to visit, whereas sites tend to be miles from anywhere as in the UK.
Aires are not always free but usually excellent value.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
One step up from aires is the municipal camp site, often by a municipal pool. You pay a little bit and get a lot.
Yes, we use some of these too.

Broken Link Removed

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Catillon sur Sambre, where we met by chance Heyupluv another funster, who by pure chance had recommended this aire some months earlier, he's on left mine's 3rd one in & 4th one is fellow camper from the Isle of Wight tracvelling with us. Lovely canalside aire

upload_2015-3-3_15-52-29.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I think the OP was on a :reel: trip :france:

:laughing:

Not at all Jim. I am struggling to understand what the benefits of Aires are. Perhaps our style of motohoming just isn't compatible with Aires. Like many of you the only thing we book is the ferry. But probably that's where the similarity ends. We take a motorbike and use sites which act as a base from which to explore up to an approximate 50 mile radius over a period of 2 or 3 days. After a ride out we will return, usually mid-afternoon and chill out for the rest of the day. If the area or site are particularly good we may stay longer. We will then drive 2 or 300 miles to the next base. We don't want to drive the motorhome every day. We do use municipal sites because we can stay longer and feel safe leaving the motorhome and trailer while we are off on the bike. I'm trying to convince myself that not taking the bike could be an option by parking up and exploring the local town/village but I don't think that we would see as many of the places we get to. Going by the photos, there are Aires in some beautiful places but I'm sorry to say there are also others which wouldn't suit me.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This is one we have used a couple of times, right next to a river and 100yards from town lovely little place at €4 a night. Think it was a campsite in a past life just the way it's set out.

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Going by the photos, there are Aires in some beautiful places but I'm sorry to say there are also others which wouldn't suit me.

there are aires to suite every taste.. and pocket..

yes, there are many aires that are little more than a place to park for the night.. basic car parks with water and dumping.. ideal en route..

others, as you can see from the photos, you will want to stay longer.. and when it's out of season you can stay as long as you like, .. I've never been told to move on.. just go and try a few..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When we are only staying somewhere for one, two or maybe three nights we don't want, don't need and don't use the "features" of a full site i.e. toilet and shower block, laundry, even EHU etc and definitely not ever a clubhouse, bar or pool so don't see the point in paying for them.

The aires we have stayed on have given us all the facilities we need and have been in great locations.

Although not as picturesque as some of the others posted here are a couple of favourites of ours, both on beaches:

The Juno Beach aire/parking place at Courseulles-sur-Mer. You can't overnight on this one between April and I think the end of August.

CT1A0575.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

And Saint Valery-en-Caux

IMG_1081.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread