Aires and cheaper sites France (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am travelling back from the UK to Spain in August and want to wander through France, we have never "Done" a wander through France before. Could one of you (or more) suggest the best book, or other place to get information on Aires and cheaper sites, so that we can try and plan some sort of route and a rough idea of costs. :Smile:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
'All the Aires France Edition 4' from Vicarious Books is probably all you'll need – around £22 delivered.

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

And for the campsites, this book from the same shop lists loads of municipal campsites. It's in French but simple enough to comprehend. Older versions are available, usually cheaper.

Broken Link Removed

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i have found that the local authority [municiple] campsites usually work out the cheapest . another advantage of them is that they are run and priced to a fixed standard, so even a 1or2star rated one will be decent . if i remember rightly a lot of them are listed on "camping car info" but to be honest when approaching a village i usually just look out for the "camping municiple" sign post . i would not like to rely 100% on finding space on aires in august ,certainly not in any touristy areas anyway. i tried it late july once and it was a nightmare, [a full scale fight broke out with a german and french van over a space one day] regards garry .

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
This Dutch site is very informative and whilst you will see sites which are duplicated in 'All the Aires 2014', you will find some which aren't :thumb:

Link Removed

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I guess the next question is, is it hard to find a place on Aires in August? If so what is the best way to find the "cheaper" sites?

Coastal sites are usually packed out...
Inland is often not as bad, My main route is down the N10 and past 2 years have travelled down and back in August. No issues but obviously busier than other times.
If you are considering aires and campsites then plan to arrive early afternoon and have a back up stop planned as well just in case..

Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
Don't forget France Passion

Hi

Just back from 3 weeks in France. France passion offers free one night stays at thousands of places like vineyards and farmers for free. Tried several and all were great.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Hi

Just back from 3 weeks in France. France passion offers free one night stays at thousands of places like vineyards and farmers for free. Tried several and all were great.

Now that seems to be my cup of tea, or should I say, my glass of wine.
Very interesting, I will give that a try. :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Large to medium-sized aires usually have available spaces around mid-morning, but turning up late afternoon in August isn't recommended. I wouldn't plan anything around small aires in summer.

You can virtually guarantee space at huge aires like Puy du Fou (Les Eppesses) and Futuroscope (Jaunay-Clan, nr Poitiers), and there's no obligation to go in either theme park if you use the aires, although both are well worth a visit.

Honfleur's aire usually has somewhere to park even if it's down the middle with the late arrivals.

Having had to take our holidays in July and August for many years, I can only think of a couple of occasions where we've struggled to find space on an aire, but you have to use your common sense when planning your trip.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We used plenty of aires last August and generally had no problem finding space, however we were not on the coast. My main advice would be to leave relatively early, and arrive early at your next aire, dont get there after 3 pm, in fact we normally try to travel no more than 100 ks a day and get to the aire for lunch. :Cool:
Also try this site for the municipal sites they can work out very reasonable on price and facilities.:thumb:
http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I personally use this site Link Removed
very informative of aires and some campsites they also do a memory stick with all of there info for £20 or £15 to members
this is sort of info

Link Removed
PIRIAC, Scroll down for more images & other aire
Link Removed

Aires: LE CELLIER - PIRIAC - ST PHILBERT

Aire: LE CELLIER

ADDRESS: AIRE DE LA MOTHE, NEXT TO CHURCH
TEL: Link Removed02 40 25 40 18 FAX: 02 40 25 31 35
EMAIL: lecellier.mairie@orange.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N47.31985 W01.34805
DIRECTIONS: From NANTES take D723 EAST, turn RIGHT at LA ROBINIERE. Follow minor road to LE CELLIER, AIRE is behind CHURCH in town centre.
SITE DESCRIPTION The aire is in a small park area next to the church in the centre of this small village with parking on gravel/ grass with shade from mature trees. The basic artisanal service point with drainage grid is in the road outside the park. Small village next to the Loire river, close to Nantes, shops in village; boulangerie, Proxi, butcher, Tabac/ news, wine shop, Poste & market on Wednesday mornings & there are 3 restaurants in town.
REVIEW:
2007 A pleasant enough location, close to shops & quite quiet. Nothing much in the village, difficult to get near to the Loire due to railway line that runs alongside it to Nantes. Service point is not very well maintained & was not working when we visited.
Link Removed
LE CELLIER
Link Removed Aire: PIRIAC-SUR-MER

ADDRESS: RUE DE KERVIN, LE LERAT
TEL: Link Removed02 40 23 50 19 FAX: 02 40 23 60 26
EMAIL: otsi@piriac.net

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: 5€ /NIGHT SERVICES: FREE
GPS COORDS: N47.36778 W02.53209
DIRECTIONS: From GUERANDE take D99 WEST towards PIRIAC. As you enter the small village of LERAT (2km before PIRIAC), turn RIGHT into RUE DE KERVIN & 1st LEFT into AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION The aire is in a medium sized tarmac car park (slightly sloping) bordered by trees giving good shade & being only 100m from the beach, although it is about 2km from the centre of town & there are no facilities near to the aire. The aire is in a small village 2km west of Piriac, next to some tennis courts & has recycling bins adjacent (possible noise). Mini Flot Bleu service point with a small drainage grid. Piriac is an interesting little port (pop. 2000) with shops / restaurants & some nice walks around the town & outside it.
REVIEW: NO REVIEW YET -- CAN YOU ADD ONE?
Link Removed
PIRIAC
Link Removed Aire: ST-PHILBERT-DE-GRAND-LIEU

ADDRESS: BEHIND SUPER U, CHEMIN DE LA PLAGE
TEL:Link Removed02 48 78 88 22 FAX: 02 48 78 95 56
EMAIL: contact@stphilbert.fr

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE
GPS COORDS: N47.04583 W01.64444
DIRECTIONS: From NANTES take D117 28km SOUTH towards ST-PHILBERT. Keep on D117 until you pass SUPER U & take next LEFT (before bridge) -- AIRE is 200m on RIGHT next to river.
SITE DESCRIPTION: The aire here is pleasantly situated in a tarmac/ gravel parking area, next to the large lake on the river (& its beach), north of the town where there are trees providing shade & grassy areas with picnic tables. The aire is about 1km north of the centre of town & its shops but there is a Super U supermarket within 200m of the parking. There is an artisanal service point with drainage grid, easy to use but only 1 tap - toilets nearby.
REVIEW:
CAMPING CAR MAGAZINE RECOMMENDED 02/07: "A quiet & pleasant aire de service on the banks of a lake & in a verdant location -- recommended".
2007 A very nice aire, quiet, shady & the services are free. Aire is on the side of a lake -- picnic area & swimming is possible. Close to Super U but a longer walk into St Philbert. Not a lot in the town apart from an abbey to visit.
Link Removed
ST PHILBERT
Link Removed Click on any image to see full size Displaying 1 thru 15 of 15 Found. Link Removed
Le Cellier

Link Removed
Le Cellier

Link Removed
Le Cellier

Link Removed
St Philbert

Link Removed
St Philbert

Link Removed
St Philbert

Link Removed
St Philbert

Link Removed
St Philbert

Link Removed
St Philbert

Link Removed
Piriac

Link Removed
Piriac

Link Removed
Piriac

Link Removed
Piriac

Link Removed
Piriac

Link Removed
Piriac

Displaying 1 thru 15 of 15 Found

Hope this Helps
:sin: Terry :sin:
Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Now that seems to be my cup of tea, or should I say, my glass of wine.
Very interesting, I will give that a try. :thumb:

We tried France Passion 1st one full next 2 couldnt find them next one owner out son thoufgh it might be ok not sure then stuck to aires....great. Also wonder how friendly they really would be if you didnt buy anything.

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back