Aires......48 hrs?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DandP, Jul 1, 2016.

1. DandP

DandP Read Only Funster

Hi, now we have our motorhome we are off to france/spain/Portugal in the not too distant future. Want to use the aires and other small sites but from my reading on this forum and other sites it seems the maximum stay is 48 hrs. Are they strict on this and if so what other options are open for us. Oh and where do I get one the "Funster" stickers?

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Maximum stay varies from Aire to Aire
    Some have no limit
    Camper contact includes maximum stay in their Aire data

3. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Last night we stayed on the aire in Le Mans, and that is up to 72 hours. It was very crowded and the van next to us was clearly parked up as no one in it!! Saves parking fees I suppose, but rather irritating.

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

They all var, as others have said.
    Any limits are shown on the Aire's sign, whether these are enforced depends on the area. Some are in higher demand than others.

Fun stickers, send a SAE to Jim. I'll look for the link and edit. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/new-windscreen-stickers-here.32902/

( I'm having a thick head day--- should have said John st click on the big smiley or Jim's shop!)
    Enjoy your travels.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. DandP

DandP Read Only Funster

I just love the quick replies I get on this forum. All good advice and I'll be sending off for my sticker tomorrow. Look forward to meeting some of you on the road.

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

As others have said, time limits vary from place to place, and can be flexible despite what it says on the sign. This is more likely if the aire's not that busy and if it's administered by a human being.

Obviously where automated barriers are concerned you're probably best sticking to the stated limit.

7. spitfire

spitfire Funster

As previously said the time limit is in the books French or English I assume as have never seen the english version. Many have a short limit as they are designed as stopping points to visit the village or town and not as campsites

• Like Like x 1
  8. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

9. Neckender

Neckender Funster

We were on a nice aire in France a couple of years ago with 48 hours limit. The Police came to empty the money from the barrier and I asked if we could stop longer than the 48 hours listed and he said no problem.

John.

10. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

As with most things the French do, they don't take any notice. Having said that you probably wouldn't want to stay on an aire any longer than 48 hrs anyway.

Spongy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Like many things in France rules are flexible and are for guidance only, at least that's the way the locals deal with them.
    Spent four days on an unofficial aire where the signs said 24hrs maximum and no-one was bothered.
    It's the same with the rules that awnings, tables and chairs are not allowed on Aires. On some its a definite no,no but on others its just fine.
    Do what the locals do and just go with the flow.

Richard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

The French love rules, and if they are written on a bit of paper, they love them even more.
    However, the French love of rules doesn't mean to say they take any notice of them. Most Aires are 48 hours, some are 72 hours, there should be a sign telling you the limit.
    You will see a lot of vans parked for days except where there is a barrier entry or someone collecting money who has a good memory of when you arrived.
    The idea of Aires is that they are places for overnight stops, if you abuse the time limits, it just means you are depriving other people of the ability to stay there.
    You are not allowed to put up awnings either, but I have seen vans with awnings up and tables and chairs out, taking up 2 spaces. Very frustrating when you need somewhere to stop and if people parked correctly, you would be able to get a space.
    Generally, I would say if you want to stay somewhere more than a couple of days, use a campsite.
    We only ever use Aires and mostly free ones and stay just one night at most.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There are lots of places where the length of stay is unlimited. I know of one where it is possible to pay for a "season ticket" that enables you to stay/park for 3/6/9/12 months.

We have a couple of favourites where we will usually stay for several days. Have never used a campsite in France and apart from a couple of days at Parc Verger on our way back this summer can't see that changing.

• Like Like x 1