aire in blaye trip update

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Oct 2, 2014.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

for the last two days we have been on an aire in a place called blaye on the estuary above Bordeaux, not in any Aires book we have , admitted it doesn't have filling or emptying but it is by a massive citadel and between the sea and town, and it must hold at least 50 vans, brilliant place but only seems to be known to French as it has been full both nights but we are the only uk and just one German and one Belgian all the rest are French

• Like Like x 3
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've stayed there - we only found out about it in 2009 when we were stopping on another aire and hubby got chatting to the French neighbour, she mentioned it and we've used it several times since.
    Its actually not on the sea but the Gironde Estuary so you have to be careful if there's a high tide and not park too close to the edge as the water can come over, also the circus often takes over a large chunk of the area!

blaye.jpg

There's another nice stop at Bourg, south east of Blaye, which we also use, again on the side of the water and nice if you don't want to go so far off the main road on your way back up north.

bourg 1.jpg

This shows their locations:

blaye and bourg.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

there is a bar roughly where minxs map has a red spot , don't go unless you want to meet the most ignorant barman in France to my knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Monman

Monman Read Only Funster

The Cockleshell heroes landed at Blaye after mining the ships in Bordeaux.They then walked to Ruffec

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

we also parked here back in 2007 with the RV.. plenty of space , but didn't stay the night..
    it's not listed in any aires book or campincar-infos because it's not an official aire

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Read Only Funster

Thanks for posting this - I'm on my way in that general direction over the next few weeks and any extra places to stay at by the Gironde are really welcome

7. chaser

chaser Funster

Why does it say aire camping car on the gate then and police come round couple of times a day. But as I said no facilities apart from skips but what surprised me no dutch they have been on every other one we have been on

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Thoroughly reccomend it large market right by the side on Wednesday and Saturday but get there early as it emptys before dinner then fills up fast after

9. chaser

chaser Funster

Did I mention its completely free but it does say maximum 48 hours don't know who checks unless that's what the police are doing

10. scotjimland

don't recall seeing that sign but take your word for it..

which gate ? I don't see the sign on Google street view.. maybe we are talking about a different place ?

is this it ? https://www.google.com/maps?q=Blaye...=qf0O1b4m7To8hXM-5zzBRA&cbp=12,263.96,,0,4.79

11. chaser

chaser Funster

Sorry can't open
    Sorry can't open that I'm only on my phone but is there 3 parks in a row the first 2 say no caravans or camping cars the third says only camping cars for 48 hours

12. scotjimland

Another good aire not so far away is at St Dizant-du-Gua we stayed on it for several days..
    4 Rue du Pérat
    Saint-Dizant-du-Gua, Poitou-Charentes

it's free, with a drive over waste dump and fresh water.. beside a mini market

.. GPS 45.430438,-0.705942

can't find the photos.. but here it is on street view

Google map

edit.. found a picture that shows how big and empty it was.. and this was in August..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. scotjimland

.no worries.. maybe they are new signs.. can't find on street view . or i'm looking in the wrong place..

14. chaser

chaser Funster

R
    Right iv got your picture now that's the first park you have to go past that and the next you can in fact see vans parked further on in your photo

15. chaser

chaser Funster

In fact your picture says 2011 its changed a bit now apparently there only 2 parks in your photo but there are now 3 seperatly fenced off parks the first one hasn't got a barrier but its for the market men to park their vans or cars on non market days the second is purely cars with a barrier but the third is MHS only there is in fact a forth one but that is just for coaches bringing people to the cruise ships but there were4 vans parked on there last night and no one moved them

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

that explains then.. a lot has changed since we were there .. cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

We've just treated ourselves to the Dutch published 'Camperstop Europe' book.
    Surprised therefore that the 'Cloggies' haven't invaded Blaye as it's in this book.
    Map Coordinates N45.12521 W00.66623 for anyone who's interested.

• Like Like x 1