Aire de la Baie de Somme

Discussion in 'France' started by scousebird, Apr 6, 2015.

1. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We stayed at the Aire on Thursday night, turned up late and it was almost full of all British MHs and a couple of caravans.

Went straight to bed but in the morning we walked over to the service building and there were signs from the police on the doors warning of the increased number of thefts from vehicles recently.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We never ever stay on motorway aires for this reason, we've met too many people over the years who've been "done" on them, including a couple of UK families on this trip too. Just not worth the risk. We'd rather pull into a small village/town and find a suitable parking spot, even if it's on the side of a quiet road, than risk a MW aire.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SMB

SMB Funster

Thanks for that, its a place a want to visit ar some stage so its handy to know..

4. laurieash

laurieash Funster

Stopped there a few times never had a problem, also never heard of any one first hand thats had any problems.

5. SMB

SMB Funster

Same here, not worth the risk..

6. Minxy Girl

Unfortunately we must have talked to at least half a dozen people now who've been done on MW aires - them personally, not a 'friend of a friend etc', so it does happen unfortunately. We also met a couple just the other day who'd had someone damage the locks of their camper trying to get in, fortunately their dog woke them up, this was actually on a campsite!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We've used this Aire for many years with the caravan & the MH with no problems but may give it a swerve in future

• Like Like x 1
  8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We stayed on the aire at Le Crotoy Friday and Saturday night, it was very busy with about 130 vans and more coming in and looking and then moving on.

Nice little town for a few days.

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I'm happy enough parked anywhere in company. I have complete faith in the flashing LED's front and rear "Vanbitz Strikeback" putting grubby fingers off. Also when leaving the van my boiler controller will send me a text instantly if the alarm is activated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Minxy Girl

We gave Le Crotoy a miss and are currently parked up next to a duck pond not far from there, a bit inland, in a little village ... the only trouble is that we've been mobbed by the ducks several times and I'm sure they'll all be staring in the windows in the morning wanting some grub!

• Like Like x 3
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't see what the attraction is with Le crotoy, nice town maybe but the aire is very basic , we called there last week but just filled up with water and left, the ground was all potholed and muddy , signs like a prison camp about being clamped, and the services left a lot to be desired , same tap for drinking or rinsing cassettes , dog turds around the filling point, not impressed.

• Like Like x 3
  12. funflair

Yes the aire is a bit pot holed and if it's wet its a bit muddy, dog turds! that's most of France isn't it. I think you need to take your own water to rinse the cassette as the drinking water is €2 in the slot for 10 minutes water, but as you say it's a nice town and plenty of walking and cycling.

13. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

what I like about Le Crotoy is the ease of it, easy to get to, always get a spot, easy walk into town, lots of nice restaurants. We cycle on the many flat and safe cycle ways all around the area, often we go round to st Val on the bikes (you can also get the steam train). The aire is basic and not great when it rains. but its only 5 euro so I dont expect much, land to park on and somewhere to empty water etc is all we need. Its great for people/motorhome watching to as its always busy. We go there virtually every time we're in France often for two nights. Seen the police checking tickets a few times, they are very strict, they knock on your window and charge you.......... a 5 euro for a ticket.

14. funflair

It's €6 now, and you would have had to be in early this weekend to get a spot, must have been 50 to 100 vans a day drive in looking for a spot and out again disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

6 euro, the robbing buggers...lol

I think its got more popular over the last two years, there is also the other aire by the beach which isn't that far out either, I suspect thats now 6 euro to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sedge

sedge Funster

We only went to the beach one once, about 5 years ago - drove in looked around us and drove out again. Looked like a 'Travellers' site - half nekkid kids running round, dogs that all looked like they needed a feed, people sat on moho steps wearing grubby white vests avin a fag, beer bottle in hand ......

Haven't revisited since !

• Like Like x 1
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Dog turds, ok but around the water thing? One tap is taped up , for what reason I had no idea and , yes it was two euros for water , same tap whether you wanted to fill up or rinse your cassette .

18. chaser

chaser Funster

Probably disappointed at the state of it not because they couldn't get on!

19. funflair

It was clean enough when we were there (better that Cahors, which was Baaaad) but yes one tap was taped over as the knob just spun round and round. I took it that the one tap was for drinking water but everybody might not see it that way.

20. chaser

chaser Funster

Mind you, we were coming North and had called at a supposed aire called Ault onival just a couple of aires lower down in the alltheaires book, well this one is non existent, just a bin store , no facilities at all, no signs , must have been closed down , I think, anyway most unimpressed with the area with what we found , I'm afraid, it was raining so probably made it all look worse perhaps better with a bit of sun, but as,has been said , very popular , so some must think different than us but we won't be going back.