LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
hi everyone i have been told that aircon in the cab does not really work that well due to the size of the van and losing a lot of the cool air into the rear we have seen a few mh now and 1 that we saw 2004 / 04 Fiat Roller Team Granduca 255 p 2.3 TD ticked all our boxes but has no cab air con we will be using the mh for trips to europe mainly and i know we can have it fitted but does anyone else travel to spain italy etc without cab aircon

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
NO and NO and even more NO

hi everyone i have been told that aircon in the cab does not really work that well due to the size of the van and losing a lot of the cool air into the rear we have seen a few mh now and 1 that we saw 2004 / 04 Fiat Roller Team Granduca 255 p 2.3 TD ticked all our boxes but has no cab air con we will be using the mh for trips to europe mainly and i know we can have it fitted but does anyone else travel to spain italy etc without cab aircon

No air con???? we have air con it the cab of our B class Winnebago (see the red link below to see the size etc.,) and we also have a full rear zircon unit as standard that runs off of EHU or the genny

Would not consider the South of France or Spain without it...

Bob

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l wouldn't buy one without A/C. OK, it may struggle to cool all the habitation area, but you will be sitting in an icy blast whilst driving. Which is preferable to having no A/C.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My opinion is that cab air con and cruise control are an absolute must on any motorhome even it you only use it in the UK. Why punish yourself, there are plenty out there with both.:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My opinion is that cab air con and cruise control are an absolute must on any motorhome even it you only use it in the UK. Why punish yourself, there are plenty out there with both.:thumb:

Same here-even in UK in winter,if the sun is on cab for more than an hour or so we find we need aircon.
Mike.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
We dont have aircon and use our van annually for six weeks in France, Spain
Portugal and Italy. We do however like fresh air and travel with windows open
and our large Heiki over kitchen /diner area can be used propped open.
Only time we miss it is when we are stationary and then the cab aircon is
no use as your engine is not running.

habitation air cons are only any good if you intend to be on site with electric
hook up, or you have a large generator to supply electric for them.

Retrofitting cab aircon would in my opinion be prohibitive due to the cost.

Regards
Steve:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Had air con in the haba nd cab of our last van. I can honestly say we rarely rarely used it. Once in south west France where the temps hit 100.... even then it was too noisy so turned it off.
When driving we open the windows and enjoy the warm air.

Our current van has air con in the cab but we are yet to try it as there's been no sun yet..:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
can I add ....

We also have a fantastic vent.. this is a 12v extractor fan in the roof fitted with an opening vent (windup) has a couple setting.. you open the window in the shade side of the motorhome and switch on.. it draws air through and makes the inside very cool... we often use it rather than the air con unit in the roof.. less noise and it does what it says on the tin... fitted to many american RV's but you can get them in the UK.. people like RV Spares on ebay and others can get them if not in stock.

I needed missing fuse holder for my 5 year old unit and they provided free of charge when I sent an email to them.. first class back up service for parts etc.,

Bob:thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
We also have a fantastic vent.. this is a 12v extractor fan in the roof fitted with an opening vent (windup) has a couple setting.. you open the window in the shade side of the motorhome and switch on.. it draws air through and makes the inside very cool... we often use it rather than the air con unit in the roof.. less noise and it does what it says on the tin... fitted to many american RV's but you can get them in the UK.. people like RV Spares on ebay and others can get them if not in stock.

I needed missing fuse holder for my 5 year old unit and they provided free of charge when I sent an email to them.. first class back up service for parts etc.,

Bob:thumb:

Sorry forgot to mention we have one of these fitted as standard over the rear
lounge/sleeping area of our Autotrail Apache 700Se.
does just as bob says, have found it invaluable to cool the van before retiring
at night.
similar to the ones posted by Peter at JCM
regards
Steve:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
lol difficult to decide some for and some against i have discovered it can be fitted so thats another boxed ticked as far as the Fiat Roller Team Granduca 255 p we have seen is concerned but another question if u dont mind is this mh a good buy ?? and thx all for your replies

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have decided I am going to get one of these fans (Fiamma turbovent) as its never nice to try to sleep all hot and sweaty. Idea is it can be on suck during the day to shift the hot air out, and on blow at night to bring the (relatively) cool night air in. It will go in the vent directly over our bed at the rear.
The insulation on a motorhome has a tendency to make it rather like a night storage heater, so even if cool outside at night it can still be uncomfortably hot inside after heating up during the day.
I am also fitting a Fridgeflow fan to the upper fridge vent, so hopefully make the fridge more efficient when it's very hot. Cold beer is essential when its hot, though SWMBO does not agree and is always filling the fridge up with food :Sad:

Broken Link Removed

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I was told (though yet to try it) that the Truma gas/electric heater unit in our MH will draw cool air from under the van, when used on fan only, and will help cool the inside habitation area down.

As I said, not tried yet, but worth a go at least.:coolthumb: (I hope).::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
OK I have ordered my Fiamma Turbovent from Johns Cross. They weren't the cheapest but with the funster discount and free carriage they were.

Just need to look forward to some weather when I will need it.

S

stagman

Deleted User

A couple of years ago I had a Granduca 265p excellent van for the money with no Air Con , and never found it to be a problem , windows open with fresh air great ,some vans have the sliding type of window in the Hab area which means you can leave them open when travelling , also remember air con takes away 2-3mpg . Air circulation is far healthier :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Having windows open when travelling can also adversely effect fuel economy. I found this actually noticeable on a Fiat C class some years ago, you could feel the drag with the cab windows open. That didn't have aircon either. My present van has cab aircon, but of course that only works when you're on the move.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
An Ammurrican I used to work with said that he had "4/90" aircon.

4 windows open, 90 mph. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back