Free Member
May 10, 2008
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
1 year
Hi can anyone give me info on recharging my cab aircon. I think it uses R12 gas and I`ve heard that it`s no longer available.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh dear!!! i hope it aint r12

read the full artical Link Removed

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Gas
A number of gases will work very well, however only two have been deemed as suitable for use on motor vehicles. They rejoice in the imaginative names of R12 and R134A.
R12 is no longer produced, and since the 1st of January 2001 it has been illegal for us to use it in air con systems. This is not a problem until the system needs some maintenance, at that stage the customer has the choice of either having the vehicle converted to use R134a, or opening the window. All cars manufactured since 1994 have used R134A. The reason for this is that R12 is a CFC which means that it does not break down in the atmosphere, and contributes to the destruction of the ozone layer. Indeed it is illegal to vent this gas , the maximum fine being £20,000. It is unfortunately the case that the two gases are incompatible, and where R12 was fairly benign to rubber seals etc, R134a has a tendency to destroy them, and certain types of hose. So changing from one to the other can be a bit of a problem. The process of converting a system to run on R134a is known as "retro-fitting".
Retro-fitting
This involves removing all trace of the old gas, along with any oil in the system. (Because mineral oil will react with R134a) All o-rings are changed, and the system flushed. The access valves are also replaced with ones designed for R134a. along with the drier. Including vat and parts the cost of this work will be around £250.00. You should remember that if any problems are encountered with the system, then the cost will increase. This is the sting in the tail, because until there is gas in the system it cannot be tested.
To learn more about retro-fitting your air con system please click Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Also found this on the same website

If your car was registered before 1994 there is a very good chance that it had a gas called R12 in it's air conditioning system.
Because R12 is a C.F.C. it has the ability to damage the Earth's ozone layer. Because of this production was banned in the early 1990's, and after 1993 all new cars had to run on the replacement gas called R134a.

dates probably wont apply to the american market but the point is you cant get it in europe.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
tedday

tedday

Free Member
May 10, 2008
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
1 year
Thanks for the info Pappajohn, I thought it had been banned. I am assuming my bus uses R12 as it`s a 1992 Ford E350. Just have to keep opening the windows.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could always email the chassis/engine manufacturers with the year and chassis/engine number and ask them what gas was used at the time.

cost nowt but your time:thumb:

OP
OP
tedday

tedday

Free Member
May 10, 2008
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp