Airbnb.

Discussion in 'Croatia Bosnia Serbia Bulgaria' started by Snowbird, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

During preparations for our trip to southern Bulgaria in the car I stumbled across this site which is set up to put people in contact with others seeking accommodation. As we have been motorhoming for many years we have never had to worry about overnight stops so it came as a shock when I started pricing hotels up for overnight halts.
    Do any other funsters use there services, and if so what are your thoughts. They do seem to be a worldwide outfit and its not always you want to take the van, but require accommodation. It certainly seems like a good idea, for a short break.
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/

2. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Not used myself, my kids have (kids? They are now nearer 40 than 30)
    They have never had a problem and enjoyed the experience.
    My sons next door neighbour Airbnb's her House can be £1k for a popular weekend for a 5 bed house in Hackney, it ain't cheap but she rarely has a problem letting it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Some friends use them and stayed in a beautiful cottage in Thornbury last week, she liked it so much she said she could have moved in! but one they rented in Corfu they didn't like much and wished they could afford to walk away and find somewhere else. But the cottage photos in the Advert were certainly more comprehensive - and attractive - than the Greek ones she showed me at the time - so I spose it's 'do your homework' as usual.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Friend from France booked one in Exeter--- needed to be within walking distance to visit her 96 year old mum. She said it was grim. Not very clean. In fact, she didn't eat breakfast there as she'd seen where the good as prepared and the "host" didn't seem to have much dea of cleanliness.
    Registered B&Bs have to be registered, achieve some standards and have insurance. Personally, I wouldn't touch an airb&b with a barge pole. Small hotel and proper B&B owners put a lot of work into their businesses for slim profit margins. It's hard work, changing beds, washing and ironing sheets, making sure everything is spotless and some responsible & hardworking owners will see their businesses eroded.

5. Snowbird

We got a nice studio in Dunkirk for the first night at £39. Then the killer was Munich as its one of the most expensive cities in Europe, we managed a city centre B&B for £50 per night. Then a houseboat on the Danube in Belgrade for £43. I may just spread my wings a bit further at these prices.

6. Snowbird

Not the landlady of a B&B by any chance are you :).

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

No. But I live in Torbay so lots of B&Bs and small independent hotels.

In France I ran a "Loi 1901" a non profit making holiday retreat for widows/ widowers and their children. It was hard work. And of course there were gite and chambre d'hote owners who relied on the income.

I'm sure there are nice airb&b properties. I just wouldn't use them as I try to support local businesses where I can.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

AirBnB is a big success story and makes for much cheaper and often much nicer accommodation than any hotel. My only experience is watching a program about how it developed and followed users around the world. Looked absolutely superb. The feedback system they use removing much of the risk. In many capital cities the over priced hotel industry is really being shaken up.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Snowbird

Oh dear what have I done. Pat has been on there all morning and found a front line 3 bed apartment on Levante beach Benidorm for £500 per month including heating, wifi and parking on a long term winter let. Just next to Roys bar. It could be the end of me.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

I used Airbnb for 3 nights in Cannes when I was attending a property conference.

Had a 2 bedroom penthouse apartment which was stunning and a 20 min walk to the Palais de Festival. Cost £600. Which for 2 people was great. Last year a mediocre hotel about the same distance from the Palais cost us £1200.

I would certainly use again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. lorger

lorger Funster

I haven't used them my self but my daughter Sophie used a few while Interrailing round Europe this summer and she said they were lovely and clean. She is 19 though so anything would do, she did stay on a boatel in Bratislava and didn't realise it was a boat until she arrived I do worry about her at times. She said it was great value for money.

She did stay in some lovely hotels also and didn't pay a fortune, for instance she spent 3 nights in Berlin next to the train station for €13 a night each with Ensuite so bargains out there to be had.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Dizzy Izzy

Dizzy Izzy Funster

We have used them a few times across Europe,always been really happy with the properties and the price.Using again in Spring for a trip to Iceland.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Sparkly

Sparkly Funster Life Member

AirBnB is just an agency. Local people own the property, sometimes it is just a bedroom in their home. So you are still supporting local people.

I used them when we needed to stay in central London as a family. We had the basement of a family home and it was clean and comfortable with all the amenities we needed.

I suppose that like any money making opportunity there will be those putting little effort in for maximum return though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. spitfire

spitfire Funster

My Aussie daughter has used it on many occasions mainly in Paris but also in Greece and London and finds it a great alternative to B&B which she hates !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

We have a self contained apartment adjacent to our house that we let using Airbnb.
    If you are thinking of signing up for Airbnb as a host then click on the link below to give me a $100 referral bonus which I will split 50/50 with you. You also get a $50 signing up bonus.
    We have been using the site for two years with no hassle other other than one person who left the apartment dirty but not damaged.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/r/mcoutts2?s=8&i=

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Jandek

Jandek Funster

We used them when we broke down and we're stuck in Bordeaux last year. Got a lovely 1 bed apartment with all facilities and secure parking right next to a tram stn . Saved us a small fortune compared to hotel cost. My brother has used them a lot in France and Spain and never had a problem

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. busby

busby Funster

Doesn't matter within reason what the accommodation costs if i break down,,,the insurance pays the bill. BUSBY.

18. busby

busby Funster

Bet its much cheaper now after the awful shootings,,,BUSBY.

19. Snowbird

I would imagine they would be a godsend if you were broken down for any length of time. Also there are times when we would like the family to fly out to us, but have there own space. Last time one of my daughters flew out to Benidorm it cost me a fortune for a chalet on site.

20. Snowbird

Strangely not it seems.