Airbag warning light (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me fix a fault before I have to invest money at a dealer.
I run a 2011 Fiat Ducato X250 and about a month ago, when on holiday in Scotland, started to get the "airbag failure" fault on the dash display and the little fault icon. At first it was only intermittent, some days it would be on and sometimes not so I thought it could be a faulty connection. I have a workshop manual but that is not much use in tracing electrical problems. Can anyone guide me into where to look for any connectors as the fault light is now permanently on. I have a 'cheap' diagnostic meter but when plugged into the diagnostic port it shows no problem codes so I don't even know which air bag is giving the fault reading.
I want to eliminate anything obvious before investing in dealer services or, heaven forbid, a replacement air bag. All help appreciated.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I'm not saying that this is the cause but be aware that problems with the instrument binnacles have been known to display this and similar issues. Earlier this year my 2012 Ducato had the binnacle replaced by Fiat despite being out of warranty. Suggest you have a chat with your Fiat dealer - who will, of course, deny that there have been any such problems! ... and then call Fiat Customer Service and ask for advice.
If Fiat will not play ball then there are companies out there who will 'refurbish' your binnacle - and that will be a fraction of the cost of a new binnacle.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have the same problem on two vehicles, Renault Based motorhome..because we swivel the drivers seat this causes the cable to become stretched. On a Peugeot Partner combi the airbag warning light come on when my wife adjusts the seat travel....I believe its a similar fault on both vehicles...it may or may not be the problem you are having...but give this a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There is no easy way. A service manual CD off eBay (normally a copy of the official service manual) should show you where all the relevant connectors are. You will have to learn how to read it before it's of any use but it will have the detail you need. I've been involved in two airbag faults - one on a Smart car where the airbag ECU was in the steering wheel (!) and one on a Seat Ibitha where it was under the centre console. On the Smart the so-called clock spring had failed and on the Seat a loose screw on the ECU cover was affecting the earth connection. Neither fault was found using what I would call 'traditional' diagnostic methods - both involved a bit of knowledge, a keen eye, and a great deal of luck.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think you will find its an instrument cluster problem they are common in Ducatos we had to have our 2013 cluster changed under warranty also had the same problem with our latest van again ducato based , as previously said get a dealer to have a look and see if Fiat will replace.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cant disagree with any of the above, but under seat connections are always worth a clean and a check of the looms as the seats get moved quite often

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is the instrument cluster you would probably have more than one light on, they can be very dim not noticeable in daylight also more prone to happen with the cruise control turned on. Just had mine repaired by Cartronix, £150 they repair 4 - 5 a month for Motorhome dealers.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I've had faulty instrument clusters twice. In both cases the spurious lights were different, but in both cases, they went out when cruise control was switched off. This combination is quite common. If yours goes out when cruise control this would suggest a faulty instrument cluster. However, as with all these things, it might actually be true, so be careful. Certainly there was no issue at our dealer - they told us it was extremely common, and affects vehicles across the Fiat range. They also said they get lots of repeats, suggesting there are still a lot of faulty units in the supply chain. We have friends who experienced it out of warranty, and Fiat changed the unit without hesitation. I can only speak as I find of course. Others may have different experiences.

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Many thanks for all the advice especially Jumar.
First chance today to have a look at the van and I took the passenger side seat trim off, checked for frayed wires, contact cleaner on the connector and, ---------- no change, still had the warning light.
Off round the drivers side, same routine and ----------- success, no warning light and no message. I think it must have been a dry joint.
Thanks again for your valued help, my local Fiat dealer is slightly poorer.

Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
Just done the same and ...fingers crossed,success.My experience :Took motorhome for a run early April having been stood from November.Airbag light came on.Took it for a 15 mile drive.Stopped engine,got out for 5 mins.On starting no light so thought it was possibly the battery although engine started ok.Then yesterday July 1st 2020 started ok but airbag light came on.Drove same route etc but no joy.When I stopped after 20 mile to examine the connections under the seats the odometer started and continued to flash as well as the airbag light!
This carried on till I stopped after a further 5 mile.Stopped engine ,got out then started and light etc went normal.So today I cleaned the bright yellow connectors under the seat by pulling apart and spraying.I also,when starting the engine turned the ignition on and waited for all the dashborad lights went out like in the olden days with the glow plugs.
Everything looks fine hopefully as it has it's MOT tomorrow.I need to understand what wiring is under the seats.I am assuming there must be a pressure pad to sense when someone sits on the seat or not to register the need for the seat belt sign to be on/off

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi folks just took our Pilote C690 for new shoes. Airbag failure lights on there and back. Having read the previous posts, I did have the jack box out yesterday and it struggled to go back in so thinking the under seat connector. That said YELLOW connector seems ok some insulation tape on wires (not my doing!!). However, there is also a white connector in the under passenger seat space the is loose. Any suggestions on its function? Is it an unused but there bit on the wiring harness? I can’t see another “half connector” for it to attach to, but I do have a stiff neck at the mo so not that flexible!! Pics attached for clarity and comment if someone can shed any light I’d be grateful. Cheers

Attachments

• 9AFCAAA1-DAC2-4322-8DB3-97BBD15B6683.jpeg
    9AFCAAA1-DAC2-4322-8DB3-97BBD15B6683.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 68C0D486-66EB-4E63-8721-2220088DE65B.jpeg
    68C0D486-66EB-4E63-8721-2220088DE65B.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 81

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Probably a connecter in the loom for an optional part not fitted, eg heated seats? etc

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
May not be connected to this, but after being reassured the Moho was good to go on Thursday by local Fiat truck place we did a 2 night away which was great. However on way home odometer started flashing continuously. Anyone come across this themselves. Booking It in for a motorhome or an OBD2 or whatever check to see what it comes up with on all the Christmas tree lights currently howling “out of season”
Cheers happy travels.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
May not be connected to this, but after being reassured the Moho was good to go on Thursday by local Fiat truck place we did a 2 night away which was great. However on way home odometer started flashing continuously. Anyone come across this themselves. Booking It in for a motorhome or an OBD2 or whatever check to see what it comes up with on all the Christmas tree lights currently howling “out of season”
Cheers happy travels.
When our airbag ECU had a fault not only did the airbag warning light show but the odometer was also flashing.

Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me fix a fault before I have to invest money at a dealer.
I run a 2011 Fiat Ducato X250 and about a month ago, when on holiday in Scotland, started to get the "airbag failure" fault on the dash display and the little fault icon. At first it was only intermittent, some days it would be on and sometimes not so I thought it could be a faulty connection. I have a workshop manual but that is not much use in tracing electrical problems. Can anyone guide me into where to look for any connectors as the fault light is now permanently on. I have a 'cheap' diagnostic meter but when plugged into the diagnostic port it shows no problem codes so I don't even know which air bag is giving the fault reading.
I want to eliminate anything obvious before investing in dealer services or, heaven forbid, a replacement air bag. All help appreciated.
It’s possible that your diagnostics tool may only read engine codes.
If you have AA cover they can scan all the vehicles ECU’s and tell you which ECU’s have faults. With any sort of fault like this it’s always best to scan first before attempting anything else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back