Airbag warning light

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Attila the Hen, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me fix a fault before I have to invest money at a dealer.
    I run a 2011 Fiat Ducato X250 and about a month ago, when on holiday in Scotland, started to get the "airbag failure" fault on the dash display and the little fault icon. At first it was only intermittent, some days it would be on and sometimes not so I thought it could be a faulty connection. I have a workshop manual but that is not much use in tracing electrical problems. Can anyone guide me into where to look for any connectors as the fault light is now permanently on. I have a 'cheap' diagnostic meter but when plugged into the diagnostic port it shows no problem codes so I don't even know which air bag is giving the fault reading.
    I want to eliminate anything obvious before investing in dealer services or, heaven forbid, a replacement air bag. All help appreciated.

2. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

I'm not saying that this is the cause but be aware that problems with the instrument binnacles have been known to display this and similar issues. Earlier this year my 2012 Ducato had the binnacle replaced by Fiat despite being out of warranty. Suggest you have a chat with your Fiat dealer - who will, of course, deny that there have been any such problems! ... and then call Fiat Customer Service and ask for advice.
    If Fiat will not play ball then there are companies out there who will 'refurbish' your binnacle - and that will be a fraction of the cost of a new binnacle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jumar

jumar Funster

I have the same problem on two vehicles, Renault Based motorhome..because we swivel the drivers seat this causes the cable to become stretched. On a Peugeot Partner combi the airbag warning light come on when my wife adjusts the seat travel....I believe its a similar fault on both vehicles...it may or may not be the problem you are having...but give this a try.

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

There is no easy way. A service manual CD off eBay (normally a copy of the official service manual) should show you where all the relevant connectors are. You will have to learn how to read it before it's of any use but it will have the detail you need. I've been involved in two airbag faults - one on a Smart car where the airbag ECU was in the steering wheel (!) and one on a Seat Ibitha where it was under the centre console. On the Smart the so-called clock spring had failed and on the Seat a loose screw on the ECU cover was affecting the earth connection. Neither fault was found using what I would call 'traditional' diagnostic methods - both involved a bit of knowledge, a keen eye, and a great deal of luck.

5. Speve

Speve Funster

I think you will find its an instrument cluster problem they are common in Ducatos we had to have our 2013 cluster changed under warranty also had the same problem with our latest van again ducato based , as previously said get a dealer to have a look and see if Fiat will replace.

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Cant disagree with any of the above, but under seat connections are always worth a clean and a check of the looms as the seats get moved quite often

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If it is the instrument cluster you would probably have more than one light on, they can be very dim not noticeable in daylight also more prone to happen with the cruise control turned on. Just had mine repaired by Cartronix, £150 they repair 4 - 5 a month for Motorhome dealers.

8. rickwiggans

rickwiggans Funster

I've had faulty instrument clusters twice. In both cases the spurious lights were different, but in both cases, they went out when cruise control was switched off. This combination is quite common. If yours goes out when cruise control this would suggest a faulty instrument cluster. However, as with all these things, it might actually be true, so be careful. Certainly there was no issue at our dealer - they told us it was extremely common, and affects vehicles across the Fiat range. They also said they get lots of repeats, suggesting there are still a lot of faulty units in the supply chain. We have friends who experienced it out of warranty, and Fiat changed the unit without hesitation. I can only speak as I find of course. Others may have different experiences.

9. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

Many thanks for all the advice especially Jumar.
    First chance today to have a look at the van and I took the passenger side seat trim off, checked for frayed wires, contact cleaner on the connector and, ---------- no change, still had the warning light.
    Off round the drivers side, same routine and ----------- success, no warning light and no message. I think it must have been a dry joint.
    Thanks again for your valued help, my local Fiat dealer is slightly poorer.

• Like Like x 1